Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > must you strain wort into primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
monk420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default must you strain wort into primary

I see that some people do strain their wort into their primary . Other just dump it right in. Does it really matter . I would think dumping it right in or using a ball value with a tube or siphon would be easier than straining. Is it a personal choice or have any reason of doing this just wondering

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Its up to you. If you have a lot of stuff floating around you might strain it. Are you All grain? is your wart full of hops?

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
monk420
Recipes 

i haven't started yet trying to get all my beers in a row before i start from all the things i watched some people do do it some don't. Didn't know if certain recipes called for it to b strained or of it was just a personal choice. Or for that fact what the purpose was. I would assume if u strain it you would have a clearer beer because less stuff would be floating around in it.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
CarsonCE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It has been my experience that it doesn't alter the taste in any way (I don't get any more hop flavor by leaving the hops in). It will change your volume in your fermenter. If I make a super hoppy IPA, I tend to strain so that I have more room for beer in my fermenter.

In the past I thought it might help aeration slightly. I'm guessing that it might be equivalent to like 10 seconds of shaking (<- I just made that up) so not really worth the extra effort.

My Keezer Build

Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Talloak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I doubt anyone strains their wort from the kettle into the primary explicitly to aerate it. The idea is to keep the trub from entering the primary. Clearer wort going in means even clearer beer coming out.

I have tried dumping while straining and decided not to do that anymore. Now I use an autosiphon to move my beer from the kettle to the primary. I slip a muslin bag (sanitized) over the autosiphon (also sanitized) and this keeps trub from getting sucked into the autosiphon. It works pretty slick.

'Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery'

Thinking about: California Common, Fat Squirrel Clone
Fermenting: Greenbelt Pale Ale
Conditioning:
Aging: Strong Scotch Ale, Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCE View Post
In the past I thought it might help aeration slightly. I'm guessing that it might be equivalent to like 10 seconds of shaking (<- I just made that up) so not really worth the extra effort.
This is an interesting opinion. In my entirely non-scientific observation of my first and only batch I've made I used a fine mesh stainless strainer when pouring the wort into the primary. Between the splashing of the cool wort, cold spring water and diffusion through the strainer I ended up with a very frothy wort. Fermentation took off after 24 hours using non rehydrated dry yeast (oops) and when I checked the final gravity yesterday it's down to 1.009 from 1.049. Point being, I think the wort aerated very well.

The one downside is I only have an 8inch strainer so the hops clogged it up before I could get all the wort in and some residue spilled over into the primary. Not a huge deal, but my effort to strain the wort out wasn't 100% effective. If you're going to use a strainer I suggest you get the biggest one that will fit over your bucket or funnel if you're using a carboy.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
monk420
Recipes 

if your worried about aeration if you put a hose in, hook up to an Aquarium pump and use that to aerate it for a lil. It shouldn't matter how u get the wort into the primary I would think

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For ales, it doesn't have to be strained out, for lagers it is better to get as much out as possible.

I'm not sayin' dump all of it in. My neighbor (not know for his precision) dumps EVERYTHING into the primary and he makes some nice brews. Don't stress if some trub ends up in the primary. Per Chris White of White Labs (as heard on one of the brewing network podcasts), trub is good for yeast. I'm kinda in the middle, I try to keep some, but not all out.

Cheers!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
skyzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always strain mine just through a mesh screen that is placed over a funnel that goes into my carboy. its aerates it quite well using this method too, so that works out nicley.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
aksea102
Recipes 

I too was recently curious to see who strained or who dumped it all in...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/strain-dump-all-159247/

Quick Reply