Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Must have screwed up the primimg sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 976

12 million threads, huh?

Otherwise, I'm with you, Revvy.

To the OP. If you want your beer quicker, you can look into kegging and force-carbonate your beer. Alas, it may not be ready, conditioning wise, tasting a little rough and off here and there, but you can still enjoy it for what it is. Patience is not just a virtue, it's an acquired taste.

On the other hand, I've made 1.060 OG "kit" beers, bottled after 10 days, and they were lightly carbonated after a week. 2 weeks was better and after 3 weeks they were fully pressured up. Most likely the early bottling left more active yeast in suspension to start carbonating right away. So I was happy at that time. Taste-wise, I had no clue how much better it could get until I started to condition longer, and longer.

Although I have trouble communicating with the yeast directly, my reasoning is that the longer you condition, the more yeast drops out and goes dormant, and the longer it takes to carbonate.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
12 million threads, huh?
Probably a bit overstated, more like 12,000, but the point's the same. This and airlock bubble questions are a daily occurrence in these parts.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Rosvineer
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

OG was 1.049 and FG was 1.005

Primary for 2 weeks, had to go out of town so secondary for 2. SG was stable before racking to secondary. Boiled 2 cups of water and 3/4 cup corn sugar. Cooled and put in bottom of bottling bucket. Racked into bucket allowing the liquid to swirl while filling.

Seems standard to me based off of what I've read. I rechecked the sugar I needed and it appears correct, though it was volume measured, not weight.

There was some co2 in the bottle as I heard a slight hiss as I popped the top, and saw a tiny bit of bubbles rising up in the glass. So now my question is about the yeast. Do yeast reproduce while they're active? Meaning, if I didn't rack that much yeast into secondary, will what was there reproduce during bottle carbing with the addition of something for them to eat? Either way there is yeast in the bottles so they'll eventually carb.

The reason I said 1 more week won't make much difference is because they've sat for 2 weeks now. I am assuming 1 more week would only give 50% more carb. 50% more of not much is still not much.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvineer View Post
OG was 1.049 and FG was 1.005

Primary for 2 weeks, had to go out of town so secondary for 2. SG was stable before racking to secondary. Boiled 2 cups of water and 3/4 cup corn sugar. Cooled and put in bottom of bottling bucket. Racked into bucket allowing the liquid to swirl while filling.

Seems standard to me based off of what I've read. I rechecked the sugar I needed and it appears correct, though it was volume measured, not weight.

There was some co2 in the bottle as I heard a slight hiss as I popped the top, and saw a tiny bit of bubbles rising up in the glass. So now my question is about the yeast. Do yeast reproduce while they're active? Meaning, if I didn't rack that much yeast into secondary, will what was there reproduce during bottle carbing with the addition of something for them to eat? Either way there is yeast in the bottles so they'll eventually carb.

The reason I said 1 more week won't make much difference is because they've sat for 2 weeks now. I am assuming 1 more week would only give 50% more carb. 50% more of not much is still not much.

Nothing in here matters, or affects carbonation, like we've said, the ONLY reason your beer isn't carbed, is, it isn't time yet. It's that simple. You don't need to over think this, you just did like all the other new brewers who start threads like this, opened the beer before it's time to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
You know what they say about assuming, right? One week, or even one day, can make a huge difference. Give 'em more time, and also, make sure you're chilling the bottles at least overnight, that really helps too.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Quote:
...The reason I said 1 more week won't make much difference is because they've sat for 2 weeks now. I am assuming 1 more week would only give 50% more carb. 50% more of not much is still not much.
Growth is typically non-linear. Ever heard of the exponential function?
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One thing I recommend every time I read these. Get at least one pet plastic bottle for bottling, or use a 12 or 16 oz soda plastic bottle that has been cleaned and sanitized. Fill that up while you are bottling along with all of your other bottles. After a week, you can squeeze it every few days, and see if it's hard yet. If it is still soft, then you know it's not ready, when it gets to the point where you can't squeeze it hardly, then you know there is carbonation.

But like others have said. I've had beers that are fully carbonated after a week or so. But then I made an Irish Stout, and that took 3 - 4 weeks. After 1 - 2 weeks, it was still very flat. Then after 3 weeks, I tried one, and it had a nice head on it, and was great.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

michael_mus Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
If it is still soft, then you know it's not ready, when it gets to the point where you can't squeeze it hardly, then you know there is carbonation.
Not really. When the plastic bottle is hard to the squeeze, it means that there's sufficient pressure inside to make it feel that way. I've seen it happen in less than a week, but that beer was still a long way from being ready for prime time.

You must give it time for the CO2 to be re-absorbed back into solution and an equilibrium established. That will take a while. If you open one of those too soon, you may get a bunch of gas escaping and flat beer.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]Not really. When the plastic bottle is hard to the squeeze, it means that there's sufficient pressure inside to make it feel that way. I've seen it happen in less than a week, but that beer was still a long way from being ready for prime time.
Yes, we've gotten quite a few people posting that "their plastic bottle is hard," yet their beer is not hard. It's another one of those silly false flags that folks seem to like, but the use is questionable.

It's simple, just wait a MINIMUM 3 weeks, take a couple bottles from separate cases and chill them, and try them.

But just understand that this stuff takes time, so don't waste beer by trying before 3 weeks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Really, to be safe, just wait 4 weeks (unless it's high grav, then wait 6-8). Throw a couple in the fridge for a few days and check. There's nothing difficult about it, it just takes time, you're talking about a tiny amount of tired yeast working through sugar in a pressurized environment, they'll get the job done when they get it done.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply