Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Must have screwed up the primimg sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Rosvineer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Must have screwed up the primimg sugar

Simple kit IPA has been in bottles for 2 weeks and almost no co2 when I drank the first one tonight. I know people say 3 weeks but I don't see it making much difference

Very disappointed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Butchv12
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How much sugar? What temp were the bottles stored at?

ButchV12

Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Rosvineer
Recipes 

3/4 cup corn sugar stored at 70-72

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvineer View Post
Simple kit IPA has been in bottles for 2 weeks and almost no co2 when I drank the first one tonight. I know people say 3 weeks but I don't see it making much difference

Very disappointed.
Do not be dismayed. It is simply too soon my friend.

Give those bottles another 2 weeks at room temp, put a few in the fridge for 3 days. Bet you'll see a noticeable improvement.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 122

+1 on waiting.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I've had beers that I tried one day and were barely carbonated and a couple of days later were almost fully carbonated. Could be attributed to mixing the priming sugar poorly or could be that a watched bottle never carbonates. Have patience and give it more time.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Rosvineer
Recipes 

A whole back I saw a video of a guy sampling bottles over a period of a few weeks. He was showing the progression of bottle carbing. I can't find the video now. If anyone has a link I would appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You think we tell you three weeks at 70 to pull your leg? Have you ever carbed beer before, then how do you KNOW that 1 more week wont be "but I don't see it making much difference?

Why don't you look at the 12 million threads about waiting and SEE time DOES MATTER.

The three weeks is usually the MINIMUM for more beers, some take longer. You don't didn't "mess up your priming sugar" the ONLY thing you did is think you know more than the folks on here who tell you to wait.

99.999% of the time the brewer doesn't have a carbonation problem on here, they have a PATIENCE one. Just like you

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

You may not believe it....but why don't you walk away for another week or two and prove us wrong?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

This isn't rocket science. It's priming sugar.

Yeast eat the sugar and expel alcohol and CO2. Barring a very few possible errrors, namely:

You killed off your yeast (extremely unlikely).
You didn't cap your bottles properly (possible).
You didn't add priming sugar properly (you dumped solid sugar into the bucket instead of boiling it, and thus, didn't mix it well)

Your beer WILL carb. Give it time. Baseline for most normal gravity beers is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Some take less time. Some take more. But it WILL happen.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Revvy FTW!!

That simple, at least 3 weeks, longer for higher gravity.

This chart here explains it very very well;
chart.jpg

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply