Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Must buy kegs...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
sprocketmaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Must buy kegs...

Just finished bottling two batches of beer, and feel acomplished in doing a good job... But man the cleaning, cleaning, cleaning... Arghhhh! Bottling is easy if your only doing the filling part (SWMBO and my oldest son) but I de-labled, cleaned, sanitized over 100 bottles, and did all the cleaning and sanitizing of the bottling equipment and filthy post fermention carboy... Twice!!! Maybe kegging would be easier... I've got the wife convinced... Only need to buy her a new fridge, so I can put the old one in the garage and use it as a kegerator and fermentation chamber. ohhh and I've gotta buy the kegging equipment too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The thought of bottling is the main reason that I waited as long as I did to start brewing. Once I did the research into kegging, I jumped in. I started off kegging and don't think I would ever want to bottle.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottling sucks.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 06-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
TheManes
Recipes 

I don't love bottling but I do love the end result, my beer bottled with my labels. I really like to give my beer away and the label definitely adds a professional look and people do enjoy that aspect. BUT I so want to keg! So how do you give away beer when you keg it? Can you fill bottles from the keg? How long will they stay carbed? What do you do?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can fill bottles from the keg but you have to do it a special way if you don't want the beer to go flat. Search for 'beer gun' or one of the alternatives, it basically involves letting the gas out of the bottle as it lets beer in, maintaining pressure, then you detach the bottle from the beer gun and cap it as quick as you can. Benefits include the ability to purge oxygen from the bottles, no worry about yeasty trub in the bottles, and possibly ending up with carbonated bottles a day or two after you've kegged the beer.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Today I bottled to batches, brewed another two batches and bottled a half empty keg. Bottling is easy when you have it down, just like brewing.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, time for a contrary opinion......lots of that these days on HBT. When I'd been brewing for something over a year, I gave kegging a good lookover, got a general idea of what I'd need, what it would cost, and what the maintenance would be. After careful consideration, I'm still bottling in 12 oz. longnecks and happy in that endeavor.
Not claiming I'll never keg- it just makes no sense to me in my situation.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

maintenance?...you'd be singing a different tune if you made the move...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

you only have to delabel once. always rinse your bottles after you open them, that way when its time to bottle you just have to sanitize. i use a sulphiter so that is easy. stick it out, it gets easier. I have started kegging recently and its awesome, but i still plan to bottle at least 50% of my beer.
might wanna rethink using a fridge as a kegerator. I had one "laying around" that i use.the problem i have with it is I was expecting it to be dual purpose and its just not. the 2 kegs take up too much space and I lost all my shelves. I am just gonna get a small chest freezere. I'd rather use the fridge space more effeciently.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
Manfish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got tired of bottling as well and moved to kegging. Plus there is something wicked cool about having your own beer on tap at home. I am however starting to miss having extra bottles on hand since I only have 3 taps and I like variety, so I am going to start making bigger batches so I can keg and bottle some to keep on hand...

Quick Reply