New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Muslin bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Muslin bags

So a friend and I have just started brewing. So far, we have done 4 batches. Our method has been steeping grains with extract brewing. We have found that using muslin bags really helps with filtering the hops in addition to filtering the grains. Sometimes recipes call for 2 different types of hops, at beginning and then near end of boil. So, you can use up to 3 muslin bags per batch. At $1 each at the local brew store I can see that adding up very quickly. Been searching online for a deal on muslin bags to no avail. Was wondering if there are other/better methods of straining instead of muslin bags? I have seen such things as false bottoms but not really sure how those work and if they would help with this. Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts

Use nylon bags. They cost $3-$5 each, but they are reusable.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I have one nylon bag i use formash/steeping.Then i just throw the hops in the boil,and filter the wort through it later.Works fine for me

Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've seen those nylon bags. Would a good way of cleaning them to be in the washing machine with some bleach?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

I haven't tried that, but I would think that a dishwasher or bleach would probably destroy them. The two together would probably disintegrate the poor thing. I just clean it out under the sink, stretching it a bit to free the miscellaneous particles, then soak it in PBW for a few minutes.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
K-Bizzle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
I've seen those nylon bags. Would a good way of cleaning them to be in the washing machine with some bleach?
Honestly just turning them inside out and washing them with the rest of my brew stuff (stir spoon, thermometer, ETC) in the sink works fine.

Plus if its a little dirty from last time, thats more flavor!

Primary1: Amarillo IPA
Primary2: Big Ben Pale Ale
Secondary1: Graff
Secondary2: Imperial Red Rye Pale Ale
Secondary3: Empty

Kegged: Green Apple Riesling, Hoppy American Wheat, Cascade IPA

On Deck: Coffee Stout, Strong Ale, Surly Furious Clone

Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Well, it's not like they have to be 100% super clean and sterile. Clean is good, but I don't go overboard. It's just going to get tossed right back into boiling water.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Weve been using one step cleaner. I might just try using that and washing in the sink. Thanks.

About the one step cleaner now, we have just been using that to clean everything pre-bottling. We havent noticed any ill effects of using just that, but I have seen sanitizers in addition to cleaners. Is there really a need for two steps of cleaning and sanatizing?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Some people use one step and will swear by it. Then again, some people eat Vegemite and will swear by that. I've been told multiple times that one step is a cleaner and not a sanitizer.

That being said, I used one step once, and only once, on my first batch. No infection to speak of. Just to be on the safe side, I switched to PBW for cleaning and Star San for sanitizing, and never looked back.

Edited: On the other side of the fence, I remember hearing a Basic Brewing podcast from a year or so ago. They talked about some brewers that never use sanitizer, and never have a problem. There comes a point where if you clean vigorously enough, you remove enough bacteria for your tools to be effectively sanitized. That just sounds like work to me.

Last edited by llazy_llama; 03-02-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I buy large sheets of muslin, which I then cut to size, for my cooking and recently my brewing at a local haberdashers store in Dublin.
When I've used them I then take the sheet of muslin and boil it with an oxyplus cleaner and then put it through a normal wash, sanitise it before next use and then use it again, I don't see the problem with reuse.

Quick Reply