Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Muntons beer kit sugar question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
rave808
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Muntons beer kit sugar question

Im a newbie and have a simple question...if i use this beer kit in step one it says add sugar ...what kind of sugar can i use?...corn sugar? also instead of that can I use a dry malt extract and if so which kind do you recommend?

http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/inst...ructions_1.asp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Light dry malt extract is the best choice. Table sugar will work.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
rave808
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

whats a good light dry malt extract and would this be better than using corn sugar?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Use table sugar if that is what it asks for. I haven't used corn sugar for a couple of years; I think it is a rip-off, and there is no benefit from using it.

Depending on the beer, using malt extract in place of the sugar may improve the beer. malt extract will add more body, and give a 'fuller' beer. It will also add more non-fermentables and result in a higher FG.

It all depends on what the recipe is, beer is, and what you want, but generally. adding extract to basic recipes will be the best direction.

Any light extract will do; use the lightest you can get (Light, Extra light, Pilsner, Pale, etc).

Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Another thing to think of is,, are you going to use the plain muntons yeast? If so this is more suited for those simple sugars.But i have no idea how good it is but dont hear anything good about it, muntons gold is pretty decent from what ive only used once, otherwise get a good yeast,also avoid simple sugars in brewing unless making high abv beers which they are better suited for,the more you use the less beer like your beer will be. Thats why they are good in belgians and specialty beers.Although a small fair amount can be ok to dry out or thin a beer to a degree.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
rave808
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

cool thanx one other question now this malt extract is different than say an unhopped liquid or unhopped dry extract ....correct me if i'm wrong they are actually used as your base malt?i'm new and please forgive my newbie questions but im diving into this and want to ask and learn as much as i can

Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Yes your extract dry or liquid is a base malt. Steeping grains adds flavor/color and some unfermentable sweetness. When y0u steep base malts with any malts for 60 min. you get a mash which gives you more abv. The less base malt you have the more extract you are going to need in a recipe as a whole. Steeping malts are good for extract brewing and they are good for All-grain brewing.Base malt grain are what extracts are liquid or dry. And dry malt extract is more potent than liquid malt extrract and it takes more grain per pound to create a tea of sugar compared to extracts,if you know what im sayin?

Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
rave808
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

so like the muntons are hopped liquid base malts in the can and you add corn sugar or dried malt extract to them well whate are unhopped liquid extracts or unhopped dry malt extract that say someone like midwest supplies sell and how do they figure into your extract kit?

Quick Reply