Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Muntons American Lite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Primo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaki View Post
I was told by my LHBS to boil the Muntons for 10 mins. It definitely darkened up my continental pilsner, but I like the flavor of it. As someone previously said, it'll all make beer. I'm very glad that I used the Muntons kits for my first two brews, because now my Northern Brewer kits aren't nearly as intimidating.
Yeah I have been told that boiling them for 5 or ten minutes Wont hurt to bad but you absolutely don't need to. So do what you feel but I wouldn't boil it for 30 minutes!
Primary #1.
empty
Primary #2.
empty
Secondary
empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
danesreign
Recipes 

Thanks everyone,I will try it as the directions say and not boil

as for the 1st batch I boiled the water added the sugar added it to the bucket mixed and then bottled.....the taste is good ,just no head very flat

since I dont have the sugar I am doing Northern brewer American Lager.....I just read over the directions,smacked the yeast packet and now have to figure out what a yeast starter is......LOL
the first kit didnt say anything about it

Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
cg17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Shot out of their misery for drinking Coors Light? Thats a little strong, dont you think?

A good flogging is probably more appropriate!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A yeast starter is like a small beer to start the yeast growing cycle. Here watch this, this is a great video.

Primary #1.
empty
Primary #2.
empty
Secondary
empty

Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
NorthBay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbrewer View Post
the beauty of a no boil kit is that someone already boiled it for you. Add sugar, water, yeast... Wait... Done. If they weren't any good, they wouldn't be on the market. These kits are perfect for you to learn the process of fermentation and to get your sanitizing skills in order.
+1

Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
NorthBay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
You mean everyone else drives on the wrong side . . . right? haha

I have done a muntons stout kit (just bottled it 2 weeks ago) it is good but need to age a bit and a coopers wheat kit (going into bottle this weekend). The few thing's I learned. everyone likes them better with all DME not a DME and corn sugar mix. It is perfectly ok to bump up your DME. my friend bumped his DME on his wheat up a pound and it was awesome, only lasted 4 days after bottle conditioning was done.
Do not boil the prehoped LME kit butwhen I do the wheat kit again I will boil in the DME. Boiling in the DME makes it so mutch easer to deal with! and yes muntons are a 6 gal kit. Other than that follow the destruction and you will have great beer!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Never boil pre hopped kits for any amount of time! You loose some of the hop bittering/aroma,& flavor. Not to mention,pre-hopped LME's will start to caramelize at the same time. Def not a good thing! Just don't do it. And a couple pounds of sugar? Who in blazes told you that? Never use more than a pound,since it'll dry out the beer a bit much,& make it seem "thinner" to boot. I like to add 3lbs of plain (un-hopped) DME to a 1.5-1.7kg can of pre-hopped LME. Then of course,you just have to add 1-2 ounces of hops to balance the beer out against the added malt (DME/LME,un-hopped). Oh darn. These basic additions will give a nice beer of 4.8%ABV or so. And won't be darkened by boiling.

Quick Reply