The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Muntons American Lite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
danesreign
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Muntons American Lite

I have been lurking,hoping to find an answer with out posting because....well,kinda intimidated by...ahhh...how do I say this nicely? Home brew....ahhhh ....snobs.....who think if you like Coors you should be shot to be put out of their misery.....
Anyhow,We brewed our first batch...Northern Brewers Cream Ale.....carbonation is really flat,letting it sit longer to see if it improves.....cause that what I have read hear to do

Next is the Muntons
But the directions to open the can of wort,poor in fermenter ,add 3 1/2 litres of boiling water and 2.2 lbs of sugar(brewing sugar)
From all the posts and books I've read you are suppose to boil water and wort for a minimum of 15 minutes
Am I misunderstanding something?
Does that seem like a lot of sugar?
For a LITE BEER????
Shouldn't the sugar be dissolved in the boiling water?

HHHEEEELLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!

respectfully yours
Karyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't have any experience with pre-hopped kits but I'd suspect if you boiled the pre-hopped extract for any length of time that you would boil off the hops flavor & aroma. You may want to add the extract and sugar while the water is on the stove though to ensure it dissolves completely.

2.2lbs of sugar? Adding alcohol without adding much body

As for your carbonation on the cream ale: how did you add the priming sugar when bottling? Elaborate more on that procedure so we can hopefully prevent any problems there this time.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just brewed a muntons gold pilsner.

I boiled the water on the stove, removed the heat from the pot, then poured the extract in the hot water and stirred like crazy. I'm of the opinion that extract kits that are "no boil" should not be boiled again. So I'd just add the extract to the hot water in the pot. You'll need a big pot by the way.

Also I'd add some cold water to your fermenter before adding the wort. I don't like the idea of dumping boiling water in a plastic bucket. They can probably take it but I don't like the idea. Besides the more pouring you do can only aerate the wort more and give the yeast more oxygen to work with.

Follow the instructions and you probably won't wind up with bad beer. You can probably improve on the instructions a little but I'm not there yet. I'm still just getting my process down. I figure if you follow the instructions you'll wind up with decent beer. After I have the process down I'll look to improve my output.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
rocketcrab
Recipes 

In regards to kits from Muntons, Coopers, etc - yes, these are "no boil" kits, and boiling them will 1] eliminate and/or alter the hop profile, and 2] darken the resulting wort. DON'T BOIL THEM. They are made to be "mixed" not really "brewed". Some of them, Coopers in particular, are formulated to be made with a mixture of DME, Maltodextrine, and corn sugar. I have made them in that fashion, and have added 2 pounds of DME only to others. You can also play around with some specialty grains and added flavor and aroma hops. But if you're starting out [you mentioned this was your second brew], just follow the directions. Also, these kits are designed to make 6 US gallons [23 litres], not 5. Obviously, you can make them to 5 gallons, it'll just alter the profile a bit. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise - you can make some nice beers with "no boil" kits.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. -
Groucho Marx

Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
mixedbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The beauty of a no boil kit is that someone already boiled it for you. Add sugar, water, yeast... wait... done. If they weren't any good, they wouldn't be on the market. These kits are perfect for you to learn the process of fermentation and to get your sanitizing skills in order.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Why are American gallons different than normal ones?

Thank God I think in metric, too confusing otherwise.....

Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post
Why are American gallons different than normal ones?

Thank God I think in metric, too confusing otherwise.....
Don't know why US gallons are different. Imperial gallons are about 1.2 US gallons. It's all what you get used to I guess.

Seems the US drives on the right side of the road and everyone else on the left. To each his own.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
mixedbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We like to be different... but always end up like good ole' England in the end.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-Josh View Post
Don't know why US gallons are different. Imperial gallons are about 1.2 US gallons. It's all what you get used to I guess.

Seems the US drives on the right side of the road and everyone else on the left. To each his own.
You mean everyone else drives on the wrong side . . . right? haha

I have done a muntons stout kit (just bottled it 2 weeks ago) it is good but need to age a bit and a coopers wheat kit (going into bottle this weekend). The few thing's I learned. everyone likes them better with all DME not a DME and corn sugar mix. It is perfectly ok to bump up your DME. my friend bumped his DME on his wheat up a pound and it was awesome, only lasted 4 days after bottle conditioning was done.
Do not boil the prehoped LME kit butwhen I do the wheat kit again I will boil in the DME. Boiling in the DME makes it so mutch easer to deal with! and yes muntons are a 6 gal kit. Other than that follow the destruction and you will have great beer!
Primary #1.
empty
Primary #2.
empty
Secondary
empty

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
dabaki
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was told by my LHBS to boil the Muntons for 10 mins. It definitely darkened up my continental pilsner, but I like the flavor of it. As someone previously said, it'll all make beer. I'm very glad that I used the Muntons kits for my first two brews, because now my Northern Brewer kits aren't nearly as intimidating.

Quick Reply