Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Multiple SMaSH IPA batches to learn hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch52 View Post
From a practical standpoint, how do you handle small (1-gal) batches? One of the reasons I chose an IPA is because I can use a full ounce of hops in a single gallon, and I can vacuum-seal the DME, but what about the yeast? Do you just pitch an envelope of dry yeast in each, or make up a starter and divide it by five and brew every day until you're done, or what?
double batch brew days or save the yeast for next week's brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Do you just use a fifth of a packet/starter?

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
onerainmaker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm doing it the other way round and seeing what effect the DME has - started with a mix of ELDME & LDME, and then trying the (virtually) same recipe with amber DME.

I'm doing IPA too, cos I love the flavour.

Can I point you in the direction of Bramling Cross for finishing hops, I've used a combination of these and Cascade (for bittering) and the flavour is beautiful. You can smell the input of the flavouring hops immediately. I've gone so far as to order some for my allotment (along with Fuggles).

I may go back to the original recipe once the amber brew is done, and have a play with some heavier bittering hops (than the Cascade), see what that does, and then try a couple of different types of finishing hops in combination.

I'm still doing 5 gallon batches though - I'm persuading the missus it's all in the cause of good science

Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
braceful
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch52 View Post
From a practical standpoint, how do you handle small (1-gal) batches? One of the reasons I chose an IPA is because I can use a full ounce of hops in a single gallon, and I can vacuum-seal the DME, but what about the yeast? Do you just pitch an envelope of dry yeast in each, or make up a starter and divide it by five and brew every day until you're done, or what?
I harvested slurry from a previous batch and used Mr. Malty to pitch appropriate amounts into my 2 gallon batches. You could do the same thing with a large starter.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This is an episode of Wisconsin Foodie, of the New Glarus brewery. Near the end, the owner is testing hops. He pours pre-made wort from a carboy into six 2L flasks, adds the six hops to be tested pre-boil, then adds more hops later in the boil.

He is shooting for only one bottle for each hop sample.

http://video.wpt2.org/video/2304638469/

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

T29 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Unfortunately I can't do that, since I intend to use only one hop, including as a bittering hop.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Quick Reply