Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Multiple mini beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Porfessor_Chaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Multiple mini beers

Hey, so I've put a few batches down, and have had relatively good results. But my latest project, Midas touch, has left me feeling like I need to try more beers to find out what I really want to be brewing. My favourite so far was when i took a stout and dark ale kit, added Chocolate grain to both and made 1/3 stout, 1/3 dark ale, and 1/3 a 50/50 mix. I want to know if anyone has any suggestions (techniques) or ideas (similar beer styles) on how to brew up a few different beers at the same time, instead of ended up with 25L of a not enjoyable beer in desperate need of bottling?

Much thanks for any thought and or wisdom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

3L brewing? Or simply smaller batches. Personally I brew somewhere between 6-12L depending on what it is and how much I want of it.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I started brewing 1 gallon batches. Basically taking any five gallon recipe and dividing it by five. Gets u fairly close. You can then do an all grain brew in a bag also. The only downside is that if u make a beer u love u only have like eight bottles of it

Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I make 2.5 g batches for testing out some styles/recipes. If it turns out good I drink a lot, or hand them out. If its not the best, I drink it anyway and figure out over a few weeks what I would change. If I really enjoy the recipe i'll make a 5 g batch.

For me, I just can't brew a lot so 1 g batches wouldn't be enough.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Porfessor_Chaos
Recipes 

Ok so looks like a few ppl have done this. That's great.
As I'm fairly new and still use cans of extract are there any suggestions on using/storing the unused extract?
Also above you mentioned as making small batches you can use grain bags, that's great as I've yet to try an all grain recipe.
Did any one ferment in any particular way? I once fermented 2 batches of iced tea by placing them in 1 gallon bottles which sat in my bucket fermenter topped off with water, so as it didn't overheat.
Thanks for the response guys

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just ferment in the closet. U do have to watch carefully tho as a one gallon batch can go crazy on temp changes as it ferments. Not sure on the extract as I don't use it anymore. I looked at it as a good way to learn the process of all grain brewing

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I suggest you start using dry extract if you are going to do small extract batches, the unused portion stores nicely in ziplock bags.

Quick Reply