The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Multiple mashes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
bjl110
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Multiple mashes?

I've been brewing since June and have found it to be a wonderful hobby, especially considering that I love to cook/bake/make stuff anyway. For Christmas I asked for some upgraded equipment so that I could do 10G AG batches. The only "problem" is that I didn't get a mash tun (I'm SO not complaining, just stating that I don't have one yet). I do have 2 5G pots, and have been doing stovetop mashes in a paint strainer bag until now.

So here is the question: could I just do the mash split into those two pots and then transfer them both to my 15G to do the boil? I don't see why not, other than the temp control isn't that great, but wanted to ask before I did it.

I would also be interested if anyone has other ideas about overcoming not having a tun yet. This was just the first thing that sprang to my mind.

Cheers!

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You sure can.If you have a spare cooler lying around , you can do one in there as well.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

don't see why you couldn't split the mash in half. it'd be more of a pain that mashing ll together, but if you don't have the equipment (i don't either), two half mashes combined should equal the wort you're looking for.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply