Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To much Carb any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Bones99839
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To much Carb any ideas?

So I was drinking some of the beer from my first batch the other night. See my problem is that the beer was way over carbonated; it was almost like drinking beer soda. I used a brewer’s best American Bock kit and followed the directions for priming but it just doesn’t seem right to me, any help with what may be the problem would be nice as I have an Irish Red Ale that will be bottled in 2 weeks and would like to not have Irish red soda, Thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
FifteenTen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a batch that is over carbed. Pursuant to a recomendation on this site I took my church key and gently lifted each cap and vented the co2 in the head space. If you are careful the cap will reseal. When I got to the last bottle I was able to do them all again, just that quick. The down side is this just released the co2 in head space, more co2 will come out of solution to fill the space again. I popped two in the frige, I'll check them tonight. If they are still over carbed I'll do it all over again until its right.

The key of course to not to over prime. Which is of course what I did. If you are batch priming check to see that you have 5 gallons of beer to prime before you add all the priming sugar.

Disclaimer: I am an UberNoob. Review more experienced replys before you do someting to ruin your batch and blame it on me. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
thelastdandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

like the previous poster states, many people prime for a 5 gallon batch just assuming that the amount of brew going into the bottling bucket will be 5 gallons. remember that you are a losing a little brew everytime you transfer so maybe you only truly have 4.5 gallons. i also know a lot of people that had problems by measuring the priming sugar by volume. always try to measure by weight. how much priming sugar did you use and what was the warmest you let the brew get after active fermentation?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

How long has this first batch of yours been in the bottle?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
Bones99839
Recipes 

@thelastdandy, I just used what came in the kit, it was pre-mesured for 5 gal so it may have been a little toomuch if i lost some liquid from transfer but i wouldent think that it was that much i bottled up and was 11ounces short of 5 gals. And I wasent watching the temp of the brew but i kept it in a spare bathroom that stays about 70 to 75 during the season i brewed it.
@Revvy, since Jan 27 of this year. i only have like 6 or 7 22S left from a full batch and it seems that this stuff is just way over primed.
@fifteenten ill pass on the lifting of the caps it seems like a lot of work for only 6 or 7 bottles ill just drink them and try to make a better set on my next brew.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Was it overprimed to begin with, or has it started to be that way? If it was fine to begin with then, became more so that is a sign of an infection issue.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Bones99839
Recipes 

yeah it was pretty primed to start with, i have a huge stine that i drink from it can hold 2 22oz bottles and half of one would foam it to the top then disipate rapidly but still had the soda feal to it. is there a way to figure out how much priming sugar i should use if im not at axactly 5gals?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2302 Times on 2003 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Here's a good priming calculator by style you might like;http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Quick Reply