Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Malty questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Mr Malty questions

I must be stupid because it isn't making sense to me. I am using washed yeast so I know to use the slurry settings BUT where do I set the slides for thick or thin and % NOT yeast? And if I am using a stir plate and making say a 1000 ml starter what difference does it make how much I start with? Also i thought it would tell me how much of a starter to make but it said I need almost a 4 liter starter for a 1.048 wort? Granted I am using year old yeast but if it is viable at all won't a few cells multiply to the proper volume for the size of the starter?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
thegerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if your yeast has been sitting for a year then the mrmalty calculator is going to give you a very low viability. like 5% or something. that's why it gives you a number like 4 liters for only a 1.048 beer.

the real answer is that mrmalty isn't sufficient for your situation. you need to step up your starter from something small at first, to verify viability.

YeastCalc Yeast Calculator

that tool gives the same results as mrmalty, but is designed for multi step starters.

Quick Reply