Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #981
nosmatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i just sampled my first and only mr beer brew today. not too bad...

i used it for a batch of hard cider first.

originally got a deluxe kit, and three refill kit.

i used a can of the canadian high country, and a can of cowboy lager along with the pack of booster. i hopped it with .25 oz of left over willamette and EKG dry hopped it with the same of each.
ya know, 4 weeks in the mr beer, one week in the fridge (in the keg), and 2 weeks in the bottle now, it's not too bad!
for some dumb reason i never took an og or fg, at least i cannot find my notes if i did...

as for yeast, i picthed three bottles of homebrew yeast i had in bottles i just opened while i was brewin it, and the pack of mrbeer yeast...the bottle yeast was s05.

Reason: woops!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #982
dogfishandi
Recipes 

yes thumper, 1 drop was the recommend dose for a 12oz. bottle. im getting a little worried because im bottleing my porter tommorow and im wondering if i should run out and get some corn sugar or something.

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #983
Henny
Recipes 

Nah just use table sugar, it will be fine.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #984
dogfishandi
Recipes 

i just read in another thread that coopers drops take a long time to dissolve. it was recommended that you roll the bottles around every couple of days. this would explain why i seen some small chunks of stuff on the side. i think ill still use the drops tommorow for bottling, ill just have to swirl them around every so often. ill also do the same with my WCPA, which has another week or so to go before i can drink them.

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #985
Halloween
Recipes 

so for start we need Mr. Brewer tool kit? oh great... this is the first step.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #986
Irishman78
Recipes 

Me and my buddy's first batch, the WCPA, definitely had a somewhat cidery, low carbonated, "champagne" quality that was described earlier, but my outlook on that batch was optimistic. From what I am reading (all 99 pages worth), that will probably be the "worst" batch we will make.

Better recipes (I already ordered the St. Patrick's Irish Stout and the Linebacker Doppel Bock w/ Creamy Brown UME), corn sugar, better yeast, and more patience will yield much better results.

Long story short, if that WCPA is the worst batch, then I am going to really enjoy Mr. Beer brews. At least until I upgrade and use my Mr. Beer for a secondary fermenter.

Primary #1: Oatmeal Tiger Stout
Primary #2: Rocket City Red
Secondary #1: Tuskaloosa IPA
Secondary #2: Alabama Pils
Mr. Beer Fermenter (4): All empty
Conditioning: Vulcan Butt Porter, Apfelwein
Refrigerating: Cherry Wheat Ale
Up Next: Apfelwein

Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #987
snipper_cr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Mr.Beer kit does not have an airlock so when I close the top, it's completely sealed. To me that seems a little scary, as fermenting looks like it gives off a lot of gases. Do I have to worry about this? They said do not open it during fermenting so I trust they know what they are talking about. Thoughts?

The "Hops Shortage" is the gods way of punishing us for not making our beers bitter enough.

Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red

Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #988
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Th Mr. Beer Keg is vented at the top. They mention this on the page about sanitizing the keg. Something to the effect of:"Do this(sanitize) over the sink as there are vent's in the top of the keg, which could cause a mess." Have no fear, Mr Beer will not explode on you.

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #989
dogfishandi
Recipes 

i just bottled my porter today made with mr beer ingredients. now i want to brew an ipa using products other than the mr.beer, cause there way to over priced. i was thinking about buying a 3.3 lb can of malt extract that can be boiled. these cans are usually for a 5 gallon batch, would it be too much for a mr beer 2 gallon batch?
also packets of dry yeast made for a 5 gallon batch(11grams), can i only use half of this?

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #990
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfishandi View Post
i just bottled my porter today made with mr beer ingredients. now i want to brew an ipa using products other than the mr.beer, cause there way to over priced. i was thinking about buying a 3.3 lb can of malt extract that can be boiled. these cans are usually for a 5 gallon batch, would it be too much for a mr beer 2 gallon batch?
also packets of dry yeast made for a 5 gallon batch(11grams), can i only use half of this?
It is too soon to tell, but yesterday I tried my first 5 gallon recipe that I halved for the MB. I simply cut every thing in half for the ingredients except for the yeast. I used a whole vial of WL400. I made a Easy Belgian White. I would use the entire package of dry yeast. Time will tell, but from what I understand you can halve the 5 gallon recipes with sucess for the 2.5 gallon MB.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Quick Reply