Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #961
dogfishandi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

i bottled my WCPA about a week 4 days ago, i bottled them into 12oz glass bottles. when i pulled one out today to have a look, it looked fairly clear with a layer of yeast on the bottom, but on the sides of the bottle, towards the middle, there is some small chunks or dots of stuff. when i swirled the bottle they went off the side of the bottle and swirled around in the middle. could this just be some yeast that hasnt fallen yet? or even some hop particles?(even though i made no hop additions, and theres hardly any hops in the WCPA mix) this is my first batch and i pretty much followed everything by the rules as far as brewing goes, but i used coopers carbonation drops as well as 12 oz bottles. ill prolly drink one this saturday. if even has ever expierienced this or has any idea what might be going on, i would appreciate your help. thanx

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #962
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfishandi View Post
i bottled my WCPA about a week 4 days ago, i bottled them into 12oz glass bottles. when i pulled one out today to have a look, it looked fairly clear with a layer of yeast on the bottom, but on the sides of the bottle, towards the middle, there is some small chunks or dots of stuff. when i swirled the bottle they went off the side of the bottle and swirled around in the middle. could this just be some yeast that hasnt fallen yet? or even some hop particles?(even though i made no hop additions, and theres hardly any hops in the WCPA mix) this is my first batch and i pretty much followed everything by the rules as far as brewing goes, but i used coopers carbonation drops as well as 12 oz bottles. ill prolly drink one this saturday. if even has ever expierienced this or has any idea what might be going on, i would appreciate your help. thanx

Just leave them alone for 3 weeks at 70...don't shake, don't stare at them...just walk away for three weeks...the yeast knows what it needs to do.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Coastie Likes This 
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #963
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just leave them alone for 3 weeks at 70...don't shake, don't stare at them...just walk away for three weeks...the yeast knows what it needs to do.
i second that, unless you are curious about the carbonation process and green beer. i tried one after a 12 day fermentation and 8 day carb. it was not good at all, very stong cider taste. im trying 1 a week just to taste the process of carbonation but at this point im not impressed!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #964
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

+3 to Revvy's comment. Almost every homebrewer will tell you that they were a bit restless when they made their first batch. Its kind of like a first date, you're nervous in the beginning and by the end of the night you know whether or not you're gonna call them again...

Just my 2 cents...

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #965
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried one of the Cider kits for the Mr. Beer? I just bottled my Canadian draft and it seems to have turned out. i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cider kits or any other ideas that would work with the mr. Beer sized keg...

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #966
ErixTheRed
Recipes 

Currently brewing High Country. My first time brewing.

After 7 days it looked done so I sampled a teaspoon. It tasted super sweet. Not done.

After 13 days it had what appeared to be skin on top. I don't know what this "foam" and "floating colonies" are supposed to look like. I took the best picture I could. It smelled like beer and tasted like beer (still slightly sweet). Is this a bacterial infection?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #967
GAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's kind of hard to tell from your pic, but I'm guessing clumps of protein or yeast. It's not at all uncommon to see them floating around in your beer in the fermentor.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #968
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm not one to scare monger but the way those things are wanting to join up looks like the I word.

Draw a sample and taste it.

All may not be lost.
Some people like a beer to be funky.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #969
Irishman78
Recipes 

My Mr. Beer is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and I am already using what I learned on this forum to get a head start. So far, I bought yeast from my local grocery store, having read that the Mr. Beer yeast is mediocre at best. Also, I ordered some corn sugar online, having read that cane sugar is no good. I also now know to use Mr. Beer instructions as a minimum guideline, rather than a hard and fast rule. But here is my question: there is nowhere near where I live that has a LHBS, so if I want a carboy, airlock or hydrometer, where should I look, other than the Internet?

Can't wait for my first batch, and my 2nd batch will be St. Patrick's Irish Stout!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #970
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If you have no LHBS then the internet is the easiest.

What is your location?

Quick Reply