Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #911
SudsItUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So, it's day 7 of my first batch in Mr.Beer. The brew seems to be fairly clear so, I was wondering: Can I bottle one beer then let the rest of the beer sit for another week while I wait to bottle the rest or should I just bottle all at once?

The only reason I want to bottle one then bottle the rest later is to compare the differences between bottling at the minimum wait time versus letting it set out for another week as Mr.Beer does not allow for hydrometer.

"A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half." - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by SudsItUp; 12-31-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #912
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrican View Post
so its day 5 of fermenting and i got a lil anxious , I DIDNT OPEN IT , but i look at it with a flashlight ,it looks like beer! the color is a nice golden starting to look clearer . also the smell ............it smells like beer thats been left out the fridge for a day ,........ seems good so far
Don't forget to kiss the fermenter good night at bedtime.

Seriously, it helps!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #913
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Please use post titles when asking a question or posting NEW information.

This threads getting to the size it is an epic to read.
If you have a specific question can you make sure you use a post title and I'll try and index them here.

Please help by entering a descriptive title (click advanced) I can then spot new questions for the index.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #914
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsItUp View Post
So, it's day 7 of my first batch in Mr.Beer. The brew seems to be fairly clear so, I was wondering: Can I bottle one beer then let the rest of the beer sit for another week while I wait to bottle the rest or should I just bottle all at once?

The only reason I want to bottle one then bottle the rest later is to compare the differences between bottling at the minimum wait time versus letting it set out for another week as Mr.Beer does not allow for hydrometer.
im on about day 10 of my first batch. i would say go for it, whats it going to hurt other than the first bottle. i think personally if i was going to do that i would do two bottles. one check in a week like they say to do in the instructions, and the other let sit for a while to see how much better it gets aging in the bottle.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #915
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well...I've heard that opening the tap before the beer is ready for bottling can lead to infection of the batch. I can't verify that. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Give it at least 10 days in the keg and 20 is even better.

BTW, one of those red LED flashlights is great for seeing through the brown plastic.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #916
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoldebrewer View Post
Well...I've heard that opening the tap before the beer is ready for bottling can lead to infection of the batch. I can't verify that. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Give it at least 10 days in the keg and 20 is even better.
Not true. Just clean up the spigot with some vodka or sanitizer after you pull a sample.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #917
dogfishandi
Recipes 

hi, just got a mr. beer for christmas and brewed the WCPA. i just got done bottling that and now i started a porter in which i made the recipe on my own. i used one can of the red ale extract, one can of the creamy brown UME, and a 1/2 cup light brown sugar(light was all i had). i also used 1/2 oz of goldings pellet hops. i have a couple of questions both about the porter and the WCPA. first the porter,
1) i basically followed the MR. beer instructions, except when it came to the hops, i first boiled water, and then when i got a rolling boil i added about 1/4 oz. of the hops and let boil for about 5 min. then added an 1/8 oz. when i added the extract and the last 1/8th oz after i poured the wort into the fermentor. was this wrong to do? if so, how should i have done it?
2) i also did not use any hop bags or filters, so there is a lot of hop particles floatin in the fermentor, will this be a problem when bottling?
The WCPA
1) i bottled after about 12 days in the fermentor, i didnt see anymore bubbles rising, and the wort was very clear, so i bottled. However, when i took a sample before bottling, it smelled like apples and champagne almost. was pretty much flat. tasted kinda of the same as the smell, maybe tasted a little more like beer. Will this go away after conditioning in the bottle? or did i bottle too early?

thanks for ur time!!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #918
nvr2low
Recipes 

i think you should have boiled the extract at least a little, but i could be wrong, maybe just dumping it in would be ok. did you at least make sure it mixed up fully?

you should be ok with the hops, it may just back up the spicket a little.

as far as the strange taste/smell mine had a small vinager taste. cant tell you if it will go away or not since i just bottled mine saturday!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #919
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For those interested I just saw this on fatwallet:

Mr. Beer Kit for $10 (YMMV)

Mr Beer Home Beer Kit, $9.99 at Rite Aide - Clearance (YMMV)

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #920
dogfishandi
Recipes 

i was thinking about boiling the extract, but since MR. beer extracts are not ment to be boiled, i was worried about carmelization, exspecially since i used 2 cans of extract, and the only reason i added some of the hops when the water was boiling was because i heard that the only way to get bitterness out of the hops was to boil them. but since i only boiled them for a couple of minutes, it prolly didnt do much at all, thanks for the help!

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Quick Reply