Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #901
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbrewer1970 View Post
My wife approves of the new hobby, I believe she thinks it's more manly than my other hobby which is practicing magic, our kids like it.
I have a small library on magic at home. I've always been interested in the history and the techniques. I have a few old things sitting around, but I never took the time to really practice. I'm still very interested in it. I'm assuming you're talking about sleight of hand and misdirection magic. If you're talking about chanting in a dark room and cooking things in cauldrons, well, I'm afraid my collection is very thin in that area. I do have an old copy of Macbeth around somewhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #902
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Think of the keg as a small batch fermenter that you can even easily lager in you fridge with, and you will be all set.
I learn something every day!! I'm very new, don't even have a 5 gallon kit yet, but was pretty sure there would be no way I would ever be able to find space to lager a 5 gallon batch and figured I'd be stuck with ales. I never even thought about making a smaller batch and using the Mr. Beer!!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #903
crzydjm
Recipes 

Hi guys.

New to the forum and new to home brewing. I got a Mr Beer for Christmas as well and started up a batch of West Coast Pale Ale today. I have a dumb question though; do I have to bottle it or can I keep it in the keg and just drink from there?

Also, which brew is everyone's favorite?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #904
crzydjm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbrewer1970 View Post
my other hobby which is practicing magic, our kids like it.
So are you good at making your beer disappear?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #905
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydjm View Post
Hi guys.

New to the forum and new to home brewing. I got a Mr Beer for Christmas as well and started up a batch of West Coast Pale Ale today. I have a dumb question though; do I have to bottle it or can I keep it in the keg and just drink from there?

Also, which brew is everyone's favorite?
It won't carb in the Mr Beer "keg". You need to bottle

Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #906
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Holy crap!!!! I just realised that I have been brewing exatcly one year thanks to last year's Mr Beer Christmas present! (Look at my join date)......Here I am now having 2 10 gallon AG brews under my belt!

You just don't know what you started man, you are doomed! DOOMED I tells ya!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #907
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Shooter posted...

If you're talking about chanting in a dark room and cooking things in cauldrons, well, I'm afraid my collection is very thin in that area.
That is called 'All Grain' brewing.

Now you've got something to look forward to!

Press onward!

Pogo

Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #908
kilo7delta
Recipes 

Default First Time with Mr. Beer

I too received the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this year and have got my first batch fermenting away right now. I'm using the High Country Canadian Draft extract and booster that came with the kit and so far have done it exactly like the directions specified, although I do plan on leaving it in the fermentation keg for 2 weeks rather than the 1 week specified in the directions. Rather than adding table sugar to each bottle I am planning on creating a solution of corn sugar and water in a 3-gallon cooler with a spigot at the bottom and then filling the bottles from there. Is there anything else that I can do to improve what I've already got going? I've already decided that future brews will be done in a more advanced way than the Mr. Beer directions call for, but I was just wondering if there's anything more that can be done to improve this first batch?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 AM   #909
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo7delta View Post
I too received the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this year and have got my first batch fermenting away right now. I'm using the High Country Canadian Draft extract and booster that came with the kit and so far have done it exactly like the directions specified, although I do plan on leaving it in the fermentation keg for 2 weeks rather than the 1 week specified in the directions. Rather than adding table sugar to each bottle I am planning on creating a solution of corn sugar and water in a 3-gallon cooler with a spigot at the bottom and then filling the bottles from there. Is there anything else that I can do to improve what I've already got going? I've already decided that future brews will be done in a more advanced way than the Mr. Beer directions call for, but I was just wondering if there's anything more that can be done to improve this first batch?
Make sure you thoroughly sanitize your cooler (bottling bucket), and most important of all, be patient. You're on the right track with 2 weeks fermenting. Follow it up with another 2 weeks at room temp to carbonate, and another 2 weeks in the fridge to cold-condition and clarify.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #910
superrican
Recipes 

so its day 5 of fermenting and i got a lil anxious , I DIDNT OPEN IT , but i look at it with a flashlight ,it looks like beer! the color is a nice golden starting to look clearer . also the smell ............it smells like beer thats been left out the fridge for a day ,........ seems good so far

Quick Reply