Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #801
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriggan486 View Post
anyone at all?
Honestly neither would be a good idea....

There's no wheat traditionally in a vienna lager....and the dark dme would change the color too much...I would personally use a light or extralight dme.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 01:53 AM   #802
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok thanks. I made a trip to the LHBS today and bought some stuff to make 5 gal batches. I finished starting a 5 gal batch of coopers bitter about an hour and a half ago. I'm already seeing action in the airlock. im getting a bubble about every 2 minutes or so. I'm guessing that's a good sign.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #803
Kazakaz
Recipes 

I've been wanting to brew my own beer for a while now. I was looking at getting a Mr. Beer kit, just to see if it's actually something I can do. I figured I could use it once or twice, then move up to a nicer setup. I stopped by my LHBS, and noticed their basic kits start at $70. Would I be better off just going with the kit from my LHBS over the Mr. Beer kit? I plan on kegging my beer, seeing that I already have a kegging system in place.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #804
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazakaz View Post
I've been wanting to brew my own beer for a while now. I was looking at getting a Mr. Beer kit, just to see if it's actually something I can do. I figured I could use it once or twice, then move up to a nicer setup. I stopped by my LHBS, and noticed their basic kits start at $70. Would I be better off just going with the kit from my LHBS over the Mr. Beer kit? I plan on kegging my beer, seeing that I already have a kegging system in place.
If you have a kegging system, then go for the full size 5 gallon kits.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #805
scubadan
Recipes 

Default Moving the Keg.

Hi everyone. What a great forum and I have learned a lot reading through this thread. We recently purchased a Mr Beer kit to give in a gift exchange and I was intrigued enough to get one for myself. On Thanksgiving Day, I opened up the package, mixed my WCPA (with the booster pack) per the instructions and it's in the fermenter.

We keep our house quite cool during our Michigan winters so I have converted the first floor powder room to my brew closet and put in a space heater to keep the room in the 68-70 degree range. Now that I have read through much of this thread, I understand that this will be a longer process than I anticipated. I pitched on 11/27 and am planning to let it go in the keg until 12/13 or 12/14, a total of 16-17 days. I will then bottle (using corn sugar) and let it carb/condition for at least 3 weeks. I will be using 16 oz swing-top bottles (is there a bottle-type preference). Projected drink date will be 1/3/09. Does that sound right?

Since the process is going to take longer than the MRB instructions said, my wife is wondering about getting her powder room back...especially since we host the family Xmas party this year. We've decided to clean out some space in a spare bedroom closet and move my space heater and keg into my new "brew closet". Will it hurt to gently move my keg at this time (day 5)?

In my over-excitement I have already ordered 3 refill kits from MRB. If I would have read further into the thread before doing that I would have gone to my LHBS and purchased supplies there. After these questions are answered I'll be back looking for ways to spruce up my kits. I'm still trying to decide whether to stay at the 2 gallon size or step up with the big boys. I'm more of a quality than quantity drinker and like trying different brews. I'm afraid that making 5 gallons at a time will be more than I'll get through between batches.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #806
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dan, welcome to what is widely known as The Addiction. Home brewing is a great hobby.

If you think of Mr. Beer as a 2 gallon fermenter that will work with any properly scaled recipe, then you are set up for long term success. The keys to making good beer with the Mr. Beer fermenter and extracts are covered in this thread.

The best thing about the Mr. Beer system is it's compactness. The keg will stow away in a closet or ice chest for temp control. It's a great way to ease into the hobby as long as you don't limit your recipes to the MB catalog. And even some of them aren't bad.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #807
scubadan
Recipes 

Do my projected dates sound right?

What about carefully moving the keg to another area as mentioned in the earlier post? Is there a problem with that?

Dan

Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #808
BeerArchitect54
Recipes 

If you are ver careful to not stir up the keg to much while moving it you will be fine. The sooner you move it the longer the beer has to settle back down... Your dates are right on!!! I am going with a 2-2-2 week method myself.. Im just not sure I can wait the last week to at least try one.. It might be more like 2-2-1 for me... (2weeks ferm. 2 weeks in the closet conditioning and 2 weeks cold conditioning in the frig) The longer you let the beer sit in the fridge the better the flavors will be...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #809
scubadan
Recipes 

Default Future Brews

I am planning on the following MRB brews once my current keg of WCPA is bottled:

MRB - 1776 Ale
MRB - Irish Red Ale
MRB - Dubliner

I have a couple of questions regarding these brews:

1. I have read in the thread that I should use yeast other than what comes with the MRB kit. Should I use liquid yeast or dry yeast and does anyone have a recommendation of which specific yeast to use for each brew? How much would I use for the MRB keg?

2. The MRB 1776 Ale recipe calls for 1 can of Cowboy Lager, 1 can of Mellow Amber UME and 1 booster pack. I have read that it is best to substitute a different fermentable for the booster pack. What would the veterans suggest?

Thanks again for your help.

Dan

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 AM   #810
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dan,

I'm still a noobie myself. But anytime you can sub malted extract for adjunct sugar, your brew will be improved. One approach is to stock back some one pound bags of Xtra light dried malt extract (DME) to sub for Booster called for in Mr. Beer recipes; or if you just want a stronger beer. DME should keep a year in the fridge if it's well bagged.

I'll leave the dry vs liquid yeast discussion to more experienced brewers. But using a quality dry yeast such as Safale-04/05, or one of the Danstar yeasts etc. is better than banking on the packet under the can lid. You might do the learning curve with a quality dry yeast before popping for expensive liquid stuff. Most kit brewers chuck the kit yeast into the hot wort long enough to turn it into non-viable nutrients and pitch a better product.

My airlock passes gas.

Quick Reply