Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #711
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogiz13 View Post
Sounds like it was a great start. My Kids bought me one a year or so now and I just got a wine making kit. I want to do the real brewing but don't want the big batches any Ideas?
Start about 5 or 6 pages back and read from here. I talk about doing 2.5 gallon all grain brewing. I show how to do it, and I offer some of my recipes...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #712
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Update: My first Mr. Beer batch has been bottled for two weeks, so I chilled a bottle and tried it last night. Carb was good, beer is clear but not much head but has a definite cider taste to it. I assume from what I've seen here that this is likely because of the 2 cups of booster I used with that first batch, plus being still very young. Hopefully they will get somewhat better with age. My ferment temps could have been a little on the high side as well, we had a hot spell towards the tail end of it's time in fermentation.

I don't have room in the fridge to store all the bottles and age them, is the carbing process self-limiting? (assuming no infections or incomplete fermentation) I'm going to have to age them at room temp and don't want bombs...I made this batch exactly per the instructions and used sugar in the bottles for carbing (measured carefully of course).

I also bottled the second batch (see above post #713) and it looked and tasted better, maybe a little fruity but it's way early. And of course I started a third, American Blonde Ale mix with another can LME, plus 2/3 cup of booster and .25 oz of hop pellets (US goldings are what came with the kit). This time I rehydrated the dry yeast before pitching and it was chugging along by morning with a nice krausen. Temps are lower this week so I have high hopes for this one.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #713
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
My first Mr. Beer batch has been bottled for two weeks, so I chilled a bottle and tried it last night. Carb was good, beer is clear but not much head but has a definite cider taste to it. I assume from what I've seen here that this is likely because of the 2 cups of booster I used with that first batch, plus being still very young. Hopefully they will get somewhat better with age. My ferment temps could have been a little on the high side as well, we had a hot spell towards the tail end of it's time in fermentation.

I don't have room in the fridge to store all the bottles and age them, is the carbing process self-limiting? (assuming no infections or incomplete fermentation) I'm going to have to age them at room temp and don't want bombs...I made this batch exactly per the instructions and used sugar in the bottles for carbing (measured carefully of course).

Carbing and bottle conditioning is done at room temperature...Cold temp limit the process...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Also read this...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254 it's a story about extreme bottle conditioning.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #714
mmc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp View Post
which Mr.Beer is close to BlueMoon ???
I read somewhere that the witty monk witbier is a bluemoon clone.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #715
comp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc View Post
I read somewhere that the witty monk witbier is a bluemoon clone.
Thanks

Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #716
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Carbing and bottle conditioning is done at room temperature...Cold temp limit the process..
I knew that, what I meant to ask is after the 3 weeks @70 they won't continue to carbonate? (because the priming sugar should be used up?) If I want to condition them longer and don't really have a cooler spot in the house I don't want them blowing up on me....

Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #717
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I knew that, what I meant to ask is after the 3 weeks @70 they won't continue to carbonate? (because the priming sugar should be used up?) If I want to condition them longer and don't really have a cooler spot in the house I don't want them blowing up on me....
Once the priming sugar is used up, they won't continue to carbonate, as the yeast run out of gas.

I have a couple of bottles from my first batch still sitting here at room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #718
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Revvy just to clarify: using your Blonde Ale All Grain recipe your boil size is 2.86 gal, and your mash is 5.48 qt of water at 161.4 F to bring the mash to 150.0 F for a 75 min rest. When lautering/sparging, after the first runnings have been collected say you collect 5 quarts from the mash, you would then sparge with another approx 6.44 quarts to get the 2.86 boil size?

Last thing (for now) re: the 2 gallon mlt- on your brown porter recipe I notice the lauter was slightly over 2 gallons; how did your cooler handle this amount? Is there a little "wiggle room" I take it between listed capacity on these coolers and actual capacity? Thanks for your insight.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #719
buckeye
Recipes 

Default Finished a by the book MRB brew

Well I am about to polish off the last of my first by the book brew. I found this site and have been brainstorming ever since! Thanks to all those who lend their experience here!
I read all 73 pages of this thread and made a nice list of things I need to do or watch for on the next batch. I know I'm going to be stepping up to a big boy setup soon but want to play with this a little longer.
I'll be brewing my next batch this weekend.
Thanks to all!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #720
USFbulls
Recipes 

Ok so i've been reading up and down these forums like a madman, and i've arrived at what i feel is my final question before i take "the plunge":

I'm leaning towards a Mr. Beer for starters because i think it's an easy way to check out the hobby and see if i like it. The reason i'm leaning towards it is because i think with smaller batches (2.5 gal if i'm not mistaken?) I feel like i'll be able to drink it all and re-brew twice as often as a 5 gallon setup. I'd like the opportunity to try a bunch of different things.

You guys all talk about stepping up to "big boy" setups, and i'm just wondering:

Is there a quality increase when you raise your quantity to 5 gallon batches? or do you all just like having more of what you brew? Can't I just half the recipies i'd like to try, stop using Mr. Beer pre-packaged recipies, and brew my own 2.5 gallon batches once i'm ready?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Quick Reply