Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #701
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I posted two on the previous page....and I believe there are a few more scatterred throughout it

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #702
Revvy

Recipes 

Okay gang....Here are the Mr Beer All grain recipes I brewed. For info on allgrain brewing read the sections in how to brew http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html, the Wiki here on Hbt, and some of the threads on here to understand the procedure.

What you will need.

4-5 gallon brewpot that fits on your stove
The "unmodified" cooler I have showed you on here with the folding steamer and a grain bag. (or you can do a 5 or 10 gallon cooler and put a braid in it like this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ght=cheap+easy
Hydrometer (a must)
A couple of good thermometers.
A funnel that fits over the mouth of the Mr Beer fermenter.
A strainer that fits nicely in the funnel.

(There is pictures of my setup here in the thread a few pages back, as well as in my gallery.)

Here's the recipes I did.

(like I said, read how to brew and the wiki and google if there are words you aren't familiar with (like sparge) there is plenty of info on this site and on the web...I'm giving you my recipes, I'm not brewing it for you (unless you are hot and single...and female that is )

Quote:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: Ordinary Bitter 2.5 gallon

Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.08 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.20 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 5.41 %
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 4.38 qt of water at 170.5 F 158F

Notes:
------
Dry hop w/ .25 ounce EKG after ferm/rack to secondary.

Preboil gravity 1.032
Quote:
Recipe: Late Summer Lime
Brewer: Michael
Style: Cream Ale

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 3.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.1 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.25 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.25 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
0.50 oz Argentine Cascade [3.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
6.75 oz Rose Key Lime Marmalade (Boil 2.0 min) Misc
12.00 gm Lime zest (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs European Ale (Wyeast Labs #1338) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 lb
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
60 min Mash In Add 5.00 qt of water at 165.9 F 154
Quote:
Recipe: Small Batch Centenial Blonde
Style: Blonde Ale

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 2.86 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.91 %
0.38 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.68 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.13 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (55 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
0.13 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (35 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.13 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.13 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.38 lb
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
75 min Mash In Add 5.48 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------
Pre-boil OG is 1.042
Quote:
Style: Brown Porter

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 2.93 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 31.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 7.3 IBU
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.33 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.08 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (2 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
0.50 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.13 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 1.96 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.50 lb
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
45 min Mash In Add 8.13 qt of water at 170.5 F 158
Like I have said throughout this thread you can make GREAT beer with your Mr Beer fermenter (not necessarily with the prehopped ingredients) there is no reason why the little brown jug can't be used, even after you have made a step up to 5 gallon batches. It is great to test recipes...to make batches where you might not want 2 cases of something...Or to be able to do real by golly full volume All Grain recipes on a stovetop.

Also none of these recipe cost me over 20 bucks to do...most cost be between 10 and 15 depending on whether or not I had the hops and yeast on hand...but most of the grain bills for these recipes were about $9.00..... that is WAAAY cheaper than any of the mr beer kits.

You can use beersmith or any recipe software to scale any recipe down to this size...Extract, Partial Mash, or as you can see, even all grain.

Have Fun!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

macsyrinx Likes This 
Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #703
comp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigeso View Post
Do you have any recipes for your Mr Beer? I have a 5 gal kit however I also own a 3 gallon carboy and would like to brew smaller batches in my Mr Beer.
i didn't see the 5 gal kit

Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #704
MCH
Recipes 

Has anyone ever used their Mr. Beer for a refridgerated Apfelwien dispenser???

I think that's my next plan.

You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #705
Antifreze
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ugh.... so for some reason I screwed up my last batch that I did on sunday (2 days ago). It was the Defibrillator Doppelbock and it called for 1/2 cup of honey. I added 1 whole cup of honey without thinking.

And now that I am thinking... I dont think I added enough yeast. I bought a bag of dry yeast from the homebrewing store. I measured what comes with Mr. Beer and it is ~3/4 tsp of yeast. I think I only put in 1/4 tsp of yeast (forgot to put 2 more 1/4 tsp in)....

... Can I pitch another 1/2 tsp of yeast in there right now? I do have some krausion on top, and it definitely smells like its brewing, but I want a full beer.

Anyone able to help? (yes I know that I screwed up)

Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #706
shootermcgavin7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifreze View Post
Ugh.... so for some reason I screwed up my last batch that I did on sunday (2 days ago). It was the Defibrillator Doppelbock and it called for 1/2 cup of honey. I added 1 whole cup of honey without thinking.

I'm a complete n00b but my guess is that you're fine with the honey; your beer will just be a little stronger and may need a little extra time to ferment.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #707
tumbleweed14
Recipes 

My brewing partner started with Mr Beer, then gave it up for four years. Now he is using his brief experience to help with our first batch in a 5 gal carboy.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #708
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Got a Mr. Beer 2 weeks ago to try my hand at brewing. I already want to upgrade to a 5 gal kit but I think I'll work with this for a few months anyway.

I just bottled my first batch tonight, the WCPA w/booster that came with the kit. It was in the fermenter for 9 days and had completely stopped bubbling, had cleared very nicely and it tasted fine but pretty weak for my taste. I wanted to follow the directions exactly the first time (except I'll let it carb and condition longer than 7 days) but that will be the one and only batch I brew with booster. Just not enough character for me.

Anyhoo, after bottling I washed and sanitized the fermenter and started on another wort. This time I used an Oktoberfest Vienna Lager but instead of the booster I used 1lb of Munton's Amber DME. I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it but I mixed the DME first with 1/2 gallon of water, brought it to just below boiling for 10 minutes then added the Mr. Beer hopped LME. The wort looks and smells much richer than the first time, so I have high hopes for this second batch.

I already feel like I've learned a lot from this forum as I've been lurking for the last few days. Good work.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #709
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
Got a Mr. Beer 2 weeks ago to try my hand at brewing. I already want to upgrade to a 5 gal kit but I think I'll work with this for a few months anyway.

I just bottled my first batch tonight, the WCPA w/booster that came with the kit. It was in the fermenter for 9 days and had completely stopped bubbling, had cleared very nicely and it tasted fine but pretty weak for my taste. I wanted to follow the directions exactly the first time (except I'll let it carb and condition longer than 7 days) but that will be the one and only batch I brew with booster. Just not enough character for me.

Anyhoo, after bottling I washed and sanitized the fermenter and started on another wort. This time I used an Oktoberfest Vienna Lager but instead of the booster I used 1lb of Munton's Amber DME. I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it but I mixed the DME first with 1/2 gallon of water, brought it to just below boiling for 10 minutes then added the Mr. Beer hopped LME. The wort looks and smells much richer than the first time, so I have high hopes for this second batch.

I already feel like I've learned a lot from this forum as I've been lurking for the last few days. Good work.
Good job!!!!

Now let batch one sit in the bottles for 3 weeks @ to degrees, and you'll be drinking those when you are bottling these...nothing like drinking your own beer while doing brewing stuff! It's called having a pipeline!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #710
Photogiz13
Recipes 

Sounds like it was a great start. My Kids bought me one a year or so now and I just got a wine making kit. I want to do the real brewing but don't want the big batches any Ideas?

Quick Reply