Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #691
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought a MrBeer kit. It is NIB but the only ingredients in it is the can of West Coast Pale Ale and the yeast. It is somewhat old the keg is the old style with the separate airlock. The can is somewhat deformed (top and bottom slightly "Puffed") Is it still usable, or should I trash it? I hate to waste it, but don't want to wait for bad beer. I have been thinking about ordering another kit and using both cans in one batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #692
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
I just bought a MrBeer kit. It is NIB but the only ingredients in it is the can of West Coast Pale Ale and the yeast. It is somewhat old the keg is the old style with the separate airlock. The can is somewhat deformed (top and bottom slightly "Puffed") Is it still usable, or should I trash it? I hate to waste it, but don't want to wait for bad beer. I have been thinking about ordering another kit and using both cans in one batch.
I wouldn't use it if it is "puffed" canned goods are canned goods, regardless if it is malt extract or canned peas...if it is deformed it is spoiled.

Either go to http://www.mrbeer.com/ and order an ingredient kit (they may even be having a sale), or take a 5 gallon recipe from here an half it to 2.5 gallons, go to a homebrew shop and brew it...

It is cool that you have an old one with an airlock though!

Here's a couple of my 2.5 gallon scaled recipe from my 5 gallon batches.

Rogue Dead Guy Clone

Grain Bill
4 lbs. Xtra Light Dme.
6.5 ounces Munich Malt
6.5 ounces of Belgian Caramunich
3.5 ounce of Crystal 40L

Steep the grains (either steep 1.25 gallons and top off in fermenter to 2.5 gallons or steep in 3 gallons steep at 165 deg for 30 minutes. “Sparge” (rinse grainbag but don't squeeze)with quart of warm water.

Add DME. Bring to boil.

Boil & Hops
.75 oz Perle 5.7 % at 60 min.
.25 oz. Perle 5.7% at 30 min.
1/8th oz. Perle 5.7% at 5 min.
1/8th oz Sterling 6.0% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees. Add water to fermenter to target O.G. (1.062) or 5 gallons.

Pitch Wyyeast 1338 European Ale, pacman (if available) or more commonly Safale US-05

My House Amber Ale (tastes like Bell's Amber, but darker in color)

3 lbs. Amber Dme.
3/4 lbs. Munton’s Crystal 60l (steep following above advice for deadguy clone.)

1.0 oz Cascade 5.9 % at 60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade 5.9% at flameout.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees. Add water to fermenter to target O.G. (1.062) or 5 gallons.

Pitch with US 05 (w/ hydration.)

If anyone wants I can post the allgrain recipes as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #693
comp
Recipes 

which Mr.Beer is close to BlueMoon ???

Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #694
Revvy

Recipes 

I don't know..I can't stand wheat beers...but I did a search on the mrbeer recipe index and came up with a list of their recipes...you'll have to take a look and see.

http://www.mrbeer.com/search.php

Good luck!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #695
comp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't know..I can't stand wheat beers...but I did a search on the mrbeer recipe index and came up with a list of their recipes...you'll have to take a look and see.

http://www.mrbeer.com/search.php

Good luck!
i really like it with food,,thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #696
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks Revvy, That is what I figured about the can. I may closet the MrBeer and start out with 5 gal batches anyway. I have everything except a Stainless Stock Pot to go that route. Just figured the MrBeer would be a fast way to get some brew going.

Off topic but, does the Stock Pot have to be stainless or could I use an aluminum pot till I can buy a stainless?

Again Thanks,
Ron

Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #697
comp
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Revvy, That is what I figured about the can. I may closet the MrBeer and start out with 5 gal batches anyway. I have everything except a Stainless Stock Pot to go that route. Just figured the MrBeer would be a fast way to get some brew going.

Off topic but, does the Stock Pot have to be stainless or could I use an aluminum pot till I can buy a stainless?

Again Thanks,
Ron
i have read that many use alum.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #698
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:

Again Thanks,
Ron
Aluminum is fine.

But why wait? If you want to get some brew going do one of the recipes I posted, that way you can have your first batch going while you accumulate the gear for 5 gallon batches...

Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #699
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks, I found the Aluminum/Stainless answer in the Noobs thread just after I asked. Yeah that was/is the plan with the MrBeer.
Fantastic bunch here in the Home Brew Forum!
Great help and no attitude.

Very Cool!
Thanks,
Ron

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #700
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have any recipes for your Mr Beer? I have a 5 gal kit however I also own a 3 gallon carboy and would like to brew smaller batches in my Mr Beer.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Quick Reply