New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #621
Focus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I too started with Mr Beer. Never made anything worthwhile with it - owing mostly to the table sugar used for priming, I guess - but it was one helluva gateway drug into the hobby/obsession/problem.

Now I'm saving up for a custom-built sculpture...

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #622
Encinitas Brewer
Recipes 

Default New Site started with Mr. Beer in mind

Hey everyone,

Like a lot of you I am new to brewing and use the Mr. Beer kit. I created a site that will help us share recipes (both Mr. Beer and our own variations) and most importantly our brew notes. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.mybeernotes.com:9080 (the 9080 is because we are still in beta)

Enjoy!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #623
comp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas Brewer View Post
Hey everyone,

Like a lot of you I am new to brewing and use the Mr. Beer kit. I created a site that will help us share recipes (both Mr. Beer and our own variations) and most importantly our brew notes. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.mybeernotes.com:9080 (the 9080 is because we are still in beta)

Enjoy!
cool just joined

Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #624
Encinitas Brewer
Recipes 

Comp,

Cool -- we need content and activity so please do add stuff! Also, your User profile page is a great way to let others see what brews you are working on.

Here is mine: My Brews

Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #625
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1st batch - one week in.

I just got back in from a Memorial Day trip and I couldn't wait to take a look at my first batch. It's been in the fermenter for one week today.

First impression: Cool

It has pretty much stopped bubbling and there is a lot of sediment (Yeast?) in the bottom of the fermenter.

Second Impression: It is much clearer now. When I checked on it mid week it was very cloudy. (almost milky) But now you can almost see through the tank. I was tempted to take spoonful from the tap to taste but I didn't.

The plan is to bottle next sunday which will be two weeks and one day in the fermenter.

I'm going to a Homebrew supply store this week to get corn sugar for priming. While I'm there, I want to pick up supplies to start a 2nd batch while the 1st one conditions in the bottles. (I'm already saving some bottles.)

Do you guys have any suggestions for recipes, using ingredients that I can pick up at the homebrew store, that a beginner can easily convert for use in a Mr. Brew fermenter?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #626
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Do you guys have any suggestions for recipes, using ingredients that I can pick up at the homebrew store, that a beginner can easily convert for use in a Mr. Brew fermenter?
Congrats!!!

First off pick up a hydrometer and a sampling tube, then get yourself a turkey baster so you can take hydro readings....Especially of the wort before you pitch the yeast and after a couple weeks in the fermenter...

Also get some irish moss...

If you use brewing software like beer smith or even the online one beercalculus.com you can scale any recipe to 2 or 2.5 gallons.

If you use dry malt extract you can make any beer in that size...you can even do allgrain full boils if you have a 20 quart pot (you'll need to boil down between 3.5 and 3 gallons down to your final size (make sure that mr beer can hold 2.5 gallons and leave headspace so you don't have a blowooff...if it can't then go with 2 gallon batches.

Here's a simple amber ale that I think Schlenkerla posted in this thread...

[quote]

07-B Amber Hybrid Beer, California Common Ale

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 2.00 Wort Size (Gal): 1.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 3.50
Anticipated OG: 1.075 Plato: 18.26
Anticipated SRM: 15.6
Anticipated IBU: 31.5
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Amber 1.046 17
0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.10 20.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.10 10.7 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min. (flame out)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

The easiest way to do this is (not full boil) is to stick the carapils and crystal in a grain back, drop in in a gallon and a half of water in your pot. Bring the pot up to 150 degrees and steep for a half hour. Pull out the grain bag (don't squeeze) and let it drain over the pot of a bit (you can even pour a quart of warm tap water over it to sparge)...

Bring pot up to a boil and just before it gets there pull if off the burner and add 1 pound of your DME to it...stir it to dissolve the clumps (it may take a bit...but it will dissolve). Put the pot back on burner and bring to boil...When it starts to boil add your first hops addition. (start a clock for 60 minutes)

At 30 minutes add your next hops addition.

At 15 minutes remaining remove pot and add the remainder of your DME then put it back on the burner.

At 10 minutes and 1/2 teaspoon Irish moss.

at 60 minutes (Flameout) add the last hop addition.

Take off stove and put in ice bath in sink...

When it drops to about 80 degrees put it in your mr beer (If you can get a strainer that fits over the mouth of the mr beer and Sanitize it, then top off with more water to 2 or 2.5 gallons. With a sanitized spoon stir it thoroughly or stick the cover on the mr beer and put a towel over that and pout one hand on the towel shake the heck out of the mr beer to aerate and mix the wort with the water....

Sanitize your baster and draw off a sample and take a hydro reading (drink it..it'sll taste like crap maybe but that's OK)

Open up the lid and pitch the yeast!!!!

You made beer!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #627
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Congrats!!!

First off pick up a hydrometer and a sampling tube, then get yourself a turkey baster so you can take hydro readings....Especially of the wort before you pitch the yeast and after a couple weeks in the fermenter...

Also get some irish moss...

If you use brewing software like beer smith or even the online one beercalculus.com you can scale any recipe to 2 or 2.5 gallons.

If you use dry malt extract you can make any beer in that size...you can even do allgrain full boils if you have a 20 quart pot (you'll need to boil down between 3.5 and 3 gallons down to your final size (make sure that mr beer can hold 2.5 gallons and leave headspace so you don't have a blowooff...if it can't then go with 2 gallon batches.

Here's a simple amber ale that I think Schlenkerla posted in this thread...

07-B Amber Hybrid Beer, California Common Ale

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 2.00 Wort Size (Gal): 1.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 3.50
Anticipated OG: 1.075 Plato: 18.26
Anticipated SRM: 15.6
Anticipated IBU: 31.5
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Amber 1.046 17
0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.10 20.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.10 10.7 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min. (flame out)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

The easiest way to do this is (not full boil) is to stick the carapils and crystal in a grain back, drop in in a gallon and a half of water in your pot. Bring the pot up to 150 degrees and steep for a half hour. Pull out the grain bag (don't squeeze) and let it drain over the pot of a bit (you can even pour a quart of warm tap water over it to sparge)...

Bring pot up to a boil and just before it gets there pull if off the burner and add 1 pound of your DME to it...stir it to dissolve the clumps (it may take a bit...but it will dissolve). Put the pot back on burner and bring to boil...When it starts to boil add your first hops addition. (start a clock for 60 minutes)

At 30 minutes add your next hops addition.

At 15 minutes remaining remove pot and add the remainder of your DME then put it back on the burner.

At 10 minutes and 1/2 teaspoon Irish moss.

at 60 minutes (Flameout) add the last hop addition.

Take off stove and put in ice bath in sink...

When it drops to about 80 degrees put it in your mr beer (If you can get a strainer that fits over the mouth of the mr beer and Sanitize it, then top off with more water to 2 or 2.5 gallons. With a sanitized spoon stir it thoroughly or stick the cover on the mr beer and put a towel over that and pout one hand on the towel shake the heck out of the mr beer to aerate and mix the wort with the water....

Sanitize your baster and draw off a sample and take a hydro reading (drink it..it'sll taste like crap maybe but that's OK)

Open up the lid and pitch the yeast!!!!

You made beer!!!!!
Thanks Revvy,

I must have missed the recipe. (It's a big thread.) I plugged the recipe into beercalculus.com. At least it's as close as I can figure out considering some of the names are not exact matches to the names on the above list.

The color guestimate looks good. However some of their numbers worry me a little. Ex. 7.5% A.B.V. (sounds Like a headache in a bottle.) Also it says the beer will have 244 calories in a 12 oz bottle. (seems like a lot to me.)

Maybe I entered the info incorrectly. I'm just wondering if that looks right to you?

Thanks,

Kornbread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #628
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Thanks Revvy,

I must have missed the recipe. (It's a big thread.) I plugged the recipe into beercalculus.com. At least it's as close as I can figure out considering some of the names are not exact matches to the names on the above list.

The color guestimate looks good. However some of their numbers worry me a little. Ex. 7.5% A.B.V. (sounds Like a headache in a bottle.) Also it says the beer will have 244 calories in a 12 oz bottle. (seems like a lot to me.)

Maybe I entered the info incorrectly. I'm just wondering if that looks right to you?

Thanks,

Kornbread

If you reduce the DME to 2 pounds and 7 ounces, it will be in line with the above...

Also, reduce all the hops to .25 ounces/per addition and it will be nicely balanced.

Original Gravity
1.059 (1.052 to 1.061)
Final Gravity
1.015 (1.013 to 1.016)
Color
11° SRM
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)
Bitterness
29.1 IBU
Alcohol
5.9% A.B.V.
Calories
195 per 12 oz.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 05-27-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #629
alphaplastico
Recipes 

is mr beer the way to start out? im thinking i could dive into some real ****, but what do you vets think?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #630
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaplastico View Post
is mr beer the way to start out? im thinking i could dive into some real ****, but what do you vets think?

Well a lot of people come into brewing through Mr Beer...and a lot of people end up on this thread having been given it as a gift and want to make the best beer possible, so that what we try to do on this thread- tossing out the crappy directions and actually making small batches of good beer in it.

Having said that, most people who own Mr Beer's step up to 5 gallon batches really rapidly, primarily because they find out beer making is fun, 2 gallon batches aren't enough AND they have more control with using the equpment of larger batch brewing (like hydrometers, for example).

My feeling is, if you're limited by space and/or funds and can find a kit on sale, go for it and get your feet wet.... BUT if you think brewing is the thing for you, and you've got the space and the cash...Skip the mr beer step and get a basic kit for making 5 gallon batches...you can get everything you need either online or at a homebrew store for between 70 and 150 dollars...

This post has great info if you want to look at a fuller system.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=548097&postcount=3

And also read the online book,
http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

I started with a mrbeer that I got on sale for 20 bucks...Having read online a lot of info on homebrewing I pitched the instructions that came with the kit, followed the suggestions of forums like this, and brewed a damn good first batch of beer...and then promptly spent money I received for Christmas on a 5 gallon starter kit, because I had caught the brewing bug really bad and the little brown keg just wasn't enough for me...

Now most of the time the mr beer gathers dust unless I want to brew up a small experimental batch of something, or I want to do an all grain full volume boil in my small loft.

So ultimately it is up to you...If you find the mr beer someplace for dirt cheap then that's a way to start, and the people on this thread will be glad to help you make the beer better than it could be if you just followed the instructions that came with it....if you decide to go with a 5 gallon set up, then you'll have plenty of help around here as well.

Last edited by Revvy; 05-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply