The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #521
mmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew
mmc.... out of the book; not sure how accurate:
1.21 lb can MRB LME (hopped or unhopped) = 2.3% abv
2 cups booster= 1.4% abv
1.5 cups white or brown cane sugar= 1.5% abv
1 cup honey or molasses= 0.9% abv
1 cup real maple syrup= 0.7% abv
15 ounce can fruit in syrup= 1.0% abv
Thanks...that's exactly what I was looking for.

mmc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 AM   #522
html034

Recipes 

yeah, mr beer is awesome; look what i just read on their website

America's #1 selling Home Brewing System -- Mr.Beer® has taken the science out of brewing a great tasting beer at home!

Good thing we got that pesky science out of making brew at home

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
Baruch Spinoza

Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #523
85 Haro Designs
Recipes 

I've graduated from Mr. Beer to 5 gallon extract batches. I had terrible luck with Mr. Beer in the past. It was probably mostly due to using table sugar as priming sugar - per the Mr. Beer instuctions and me not knowing any better (prior to joining here).

Revvy was a huge help to me when I needed answers to questions about using up the remaining ingredients. He took the time to tell me how HE would do it and pointed out the mis-information that Mr. Beer's instructions feed you.

Well, I just made a Hill Town Honey Wheat from the remaining ingredients and bottled it last night (brewed on Feb 23rd) and took a sample. WOW, I'm not going to lie, it tastes GREAT. Even without carbonation.

I had my doubts since I made a lot of vinegar and cider from failed Mr. Beer recipes in the last year. Well if they would have tasted like THIS I would have been brewing a lot more. Again, without the help of people like Revvy and Yooperbrew I don't know where I would be.

This hobby rocks! Thanks Revvy, Yooperbrew, and all those who helped.

BTW - I also tasted my first 5 gallon extract batch - an IPA - INCREDIBLE! I can't believe how good it is.

Primary - American IPA (brewed 01/13/10)
Primary#2 - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - Irish Stout, Wooly Booger
On Deck - Weizenbeer

Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #524
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am on my last MRB recipe myself, and tweaked the last one using info that I got here. I have been acquiring equipment along the way to make the transition to 5 gal brewing. I am doing this not because of the MRB quality or taste, but because I want more involvement, a greater challenge, and, most importantly, MORE beer without buying two kits. MRB is not economical when you have to have the kits shipped to you.

MRB got me started and, to be honest, the three batches that I have made tasted pretty good. You cannot follow the directions word for word and drink the beer in two weeks. (Well, I guess you can, but they taste better with age as will any beer.) I do not taste a difference in the beer I carbed with cane sugar versus corn sugar. The biggest taste difference is in the age of the beer and that is going to be true with MRB or our own 5 gal brew.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #525
riethoven
Recipes 

Default My First Post

Hey Guys,

I got a Mr. Beer from my wife that she bought on sale at a local drug store for $7.50. It has been sitting around the house for a couple of weeks and I finally got around to making the first batch. I have had thoughts of home brewing for a while, mostly for economic reasons but also because I love the taste of the Belgian pilsners such as Palm or going into the southern Netherlands Dommelse Pils. But it was a Mr. Beer on sale that got me going.

Hopefully, with guidance from this forum, I can eventually learn to make something I will like. If it works out, I will be the envy of all my beer drinking buddies. Plus I already know that 8.5 quarts per month is not enough beer. I am assuming that it will take three weeks to a month to brew this batch.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #526
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by riethoven
Hey Guys,

I got a Mr. Beer from my wife that she bought on sale at a local drug store for $7.50. It has been sitting around the house for a couple of weeks and I finally got around to making the first batch. I have had thoughts of home brewing for a while, mostly for economic reasons but also because I love the taste of the Belgian pilsners such as Palm or going into the southern Netherlands Dommelse Pils. But it was a Mr. Beer on sale that got me going.

Hopefully, with guidance from this forum, I can eventually learn to make something I will like. If it works out, I will be the envy of all my beer drinking buddies. Plus I already know that 8.5 quarts per month is not enough beer. I am assuming that it will take three weeks to a month to brew this batch.

Welcome to the forum AND more importantly welcome to youe new obsess...er, I mean, Hobby!

Just toos out the instructions that came with the mr beer and read through some of the posts on here, and your beer will be fine...the fact that you realize that your beer won't be ready in 2 weeks, but more like 2 months, means that you got a good head 0n your shoulders!

6 weeks minimum is the length of time for a simple, basic, not to high of a gravity beer to be drinkable....It really rests on 2 factors, the style of the beer, and the fickleness of the process.....Beer is a living thing...it is the byproduct of the life cycle of yeasts eating sugar, pooping carbon dioxide and alchohol, and reproducing (to eat and poop more)...And we get to benefit from that life cycle...But since it is a living dynamic process, it has it's own agenda and timeframe......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #527
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

means that you got a good head 0n your shoulders!
and will end up with a good one on your beer!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #528
jllund62

Recipes 

Default Starting new batch

Starting new batch this week. (Bat.#2)This is an experiment, so I might need suggestion for this recipe, I have 1 can of MB Vienna lager, 1 can MB Mallow Amber UME both are 1.21 lbs cans and a 3.3 lb. can of Muntons Drk malt extract, and a package of nottingham yeast.. The lager and Munton has hops in them. so no grains or addtional hops will be used (This is a poor boy's recipe) What I have on hand.
I'll be fermenting in a 3 gal carboying using my Mr Beer keg for bottling. or would a 5 gal. carboy be better? and how much water should I use with this much extract? would this be a good 4 gal. batch? and will I need blow-out tube w/this much fermentables?

thanks always in advance,
Jeffery

Bat. #1 Irish Stout carb. & cond., Drinking a bottle a week to test
this is the 2nd week and bottles are more carbed than last week end & tastes better than last week.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #529
SimpleMan
Recipes 

Question....

I am preparing to start a new batch using a pre hopped standard Mr Beer refill. My wife likes "honey lemon" beer. Can I just add lemon juice and honey to the wort? Does it need to be cooked? Will it affect the ABV?

Any input is appreciated.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 AM   #530
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan
Question....

I am preparing to start a new batch using a pre hopped standard Mr Beer refill. My wife likes "honey lemon" beer. Can I just add lemon juice and honey to the wort? Does it need to be cooked? Will it affect the ABV?

Any input is appreciated.
Don't boil your honey. Nice warm water to dissolve is all you need. Honey will ferment a little slow, so be sure fermentation has stopped before you bottle. I would hold the lemon until bottling at very least, and maybe add it fresh to the glass.

Quick Reply