Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #5211
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobs360 View Post
First timer to the site here. And this is only my second batch of Homebrew....I'm making a blonde ale, during transfer to secondary carboy I noticed I was a little lower (4 gallons instead of the recommended 5) in my primary then I expected. Without thinking it through , I added about 2 cups of tap water without boiling before I stopped myself and had the ever lovely "WHAT HAVE I DONE!" moment.

Pretty much my question is: Did I just ruin my beer by adding 2 cups of water straight from the tap WITHOUT boiling it? It's been about 14 hours since I did it and I'm seeing little to no fermentation bubbles/processes going on.

Thank you in advance for your help!
This doesn't belong in the Mr. Beer thread, but whatever.

When I used to use Mr. Beer, and when my friends and I still brew 5 gallon batches from extracts, we always top off the primary fermentor with unboiled tap water, and it's never caused a problem. We happen to have very clean, high quality tap water here in the Chicago area. See what you can learn about your local tap water quality online or from your municipal gov.

I wouldn't have added water to the secondary, but that only means that you'll dilute the beer. Not wreck it. Also, the fact that you added water to the secondary makes it less likely that you will have caused a problem, because there is already a good bit of alcohol in there. At this point, sanitation is not really about spoiling a batch or not... it's more about avoiding off flavors.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #5212
Essau1969
Recipes 

I have been doing both MB and Brew Demon beers. Experimenting with adding additional flavoring ingredients etc. I have been using extra LBS and yeast too boost these mixs up. Currently have 2 batches of Spiced Xmas Ale in the fermenters. Only question is which one to do next ? Lol.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #5213
rniles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Maybe. Doubtful. The only thing you can do is push forward and see what happens. Chances are that you will be all right but something bad could happen, so just be aware of it.

---
Opinions don't change physics.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5214
saeroner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Hey guys.

I have an older (clean) BR Beer fermenter (2 gal maybe)

Will this work well if i want to experiment with 1 gal batches?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #5215
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeroner View Post
Hey guys.

That would be quite a bit of head space due to the shape of the LBK, and the lack of an active air lock. Why not up it to 2 gal experiments?
Old 09-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #5216
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeroner View Post
Hey guys.

Which one do you have? If I remember correctly, there was a smaller clear one at one point that would probably work.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #5217
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I started with Mr. Beer, and now am starting to go all-grain and am thinking about building myself a keezer. It's a gateway drug.

I gave my Mr. Beer stuff to a friend who is interested in trying out home brewing, and I hope it takes him down the same rabbit hole.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 10-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #5218
BeerFan88
Recipes 

Default Odd Fruity Flavor

Hey everyone, I just tried my second brew from the Mr. Beer kit. The first one I made was the Bohemian Czech Pilsner and now the Aztec Cerveza, the two that came in the kit. The Pilsner came out pretty decent and was the first beer I have ever made. The only odd thing was that it had a very fruity almost apple-like after taste but it seemed to go away within another week of cold-conditioning. I let it ferment for a full two weeks and condition in the bottles at room temp for another two weeks. After that, I refrigerated a couple bottles for a full day and it had that really odd fruity flavor. Let the rest of the bottles chill for a week and it had mostly gone away and was much better. Why is this? I followed the same schedule for the Aztec Cerveza and tried one after one day of refrigeration and also has that same fruity flavor, but not quite as noticeable. Did I do something wrong or is a full week of cold conditioning a necessity?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #5219
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerFan88 View Post
Hey everyone, I just tried my second brew from the Mr. Beer kit. The first one I made was the Bohemian Czech Pilsner and now the Aztec Cerveza, the two that came in the kit. The Pilsner came out pretty decent and was the first beer I have ever made. The only odd thing was that it had a very fruity almost apple-like after taste but it seemed to go away within another week of cold-conditioning. I let it ferment for a full two weeks and condition in the bottles at room temp for another two weeks. After that, I refrigerated a couple bottles for a full day and it had that really odd fruity flavor. Let the rest of the bottles chill for a week and it had mostly gone away and was much better. Why is this? I followed the same schedule for the Aztec Cerveza and tried one after one day of refrigeration and also has that same fruity flavor, but not quite as noticeable. Did I do something wrong or is a full week of cold conditioning a necessity?
What you tasted is often referred to as a cidery taste. It's a result of acetaldehyde. It's a sign of "green" beer, or beer that isn't quite ready. I tend to give my beers even longer conditioning than that. I usually ferment for 2 weeks (sometimes 3, if it's cooler or if it's a big beer). I then warm condition for at least a month and cold condition for a week or two.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #5220
BeerFan88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
What you tasted is often referred to as a cidery taste. It's a result of acetaldehyde. It's a sign of "green" beer, or beer that isn't quite ready. I tend to give my beers even longer conditioning than that. I usually ferment for 2 weeks (sometimes 3, if it's cooler or if it's a big beer). I then warm condition for at least a month and cold condition for a week or two.
Thank you very much for the input. I thought it was odd that the Mr. Beer box says "Beer in as little as 2 weeks". I followed the directions step by step and went with the longest periods recommended for each part of the process. 2 weeks for fermentation and 2 weeks for bottle conditioning and all it says about cold conditioning is to give the beer at least 4-6 hours in the fridge before drinking. I think what they consider to be the maximum time needed should actually be the minimum time required. I will try letting this batch warm condition for two more weeks and cold condition for a week or so. Thanks again!

Quick Reply