*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #501
timgman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The longer you wait.. the better the beer.

I've come to learn that.... carbontaion is a 2 1/2 - 3 week process.
And MR Beer batches are small and seem to go faster after the 2 week mark. It tough to wait and hit that optimal 3 week mark... for me anyway.
hehehe

Conditioning: coopers ipa
Conditioning: Niagara brewing honey-brown
Conditioning: TB Pilsner

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #502
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgman
I've come to learn that.... carbontaion is a 2 1/2 - 3 week process.
And MR Beer batches are small and seem to go faster after the 2 week mark. It tough to wait and hit that optimal 3 week mark... for me anyway.
hehehe
Patience is hard...that's why it is better to brew a lot initially to get the pipeline loaded up...And if you brew a big beer that is going to need a long time, to follow it up with a lighter beer like a pale ale that will be ready in a few weeks....the second batch can be drunk while waiting for the first batch to come online....

The size of the batch doesn't really have anything to do with conditioning time in the bottle...it's the amount of fermentables in it...although bottle size may have a bearing on bottle conditioning/carbonation...a 12 ounce bottle will be ready much faster than a 1 liter mr beer PET bottle...

It's also not just about carbonation, it's also about bottle conditioning as well......

If you don't know what I mean by bottle conditioning, read this post of mine in the n00b thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=558191&highlight=food#post558191

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #503
CAsch
Recipes 

Well, it seems my initial concerns regarding the age of my mix was valid. After 3 weeks in the bottles my beer is still as flat as when I bottled it. It doesn't taste terrible, but it's not great. I'm going to try something newer than 2 years old this time.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #504
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAsch
Well, it seems my initial concerns regarding the age of my mix was valid. After 3 weeks in the bottles my beer is still as flat as when I bottled it. It doesn't taste terrible, but it's not great. I'm going to try something newer than 2 years old this time.
Probably a good idea...I think the best used by on most beer ingredients is a year....but don't throw out the bottles yet...

Did you roll them on the table to re-rouse the yeast, and stick them away for a couple more weeks at 70 degrees?

If so and there was not change you could get some carb tabs, open the bottles, add those and recap.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #505
CAsch
Recipes 

I have tried the methods other than carb tabs. Where can I get some of those?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #506
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAsch
I have tried the methods other than carb tabs. Where can I get some of those?
You can get them at any brewing supply store as well as online....

Coopers makes one brand.

Primetabs is the other brand...

Last edited by Revvy; 03-29-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #507
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hot diggety! I just cracked one of my beers today it's amazing! It's nicely carbonated and poured out like a real beer, head and all.

I started the batch on Feb 14th, fermented it for a couple of weeks, bottled it on March 1st and after a month in the bottle it's not just passable but it's actually good. What's funny is that I looked back at my notes and it actually said 'Should be ready to drink April 1st' and whaddaya know? Right on the button :-)

I actually tried it about two weeks ago and really wasn't so great. It wasn't carbonated enough and tasted a bit malty so I closed it up and put it back in the closet and now it's beer-ific! Very exciting.

Probably going to bottle the Apfelwein from the spare Mr. Beer soon. It's been fermenting for about five weeks so I figure once it's bottled I'll let it sit until mid June before I crack one.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by Thwizzit; 04-01-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #508
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwizzit
Hot diggety! I just cracked one of my beers today it's amazing! It's nicely carbonated and poured out like a real beer, head and all.

I started the batch on Feb 14th, fermented it for a couple of weeks, bottled it on March 1st and after a month in the bottle it's not just passable but it's actually good. What's funny is that I looked back at my notes and it actually said 'Should be ready to drink April 1st' and whaddaya know? Right on the button :-)

I actually tried it about two weeks ago and really wasn't so great. It wasn't carbonated enough and tasted a bit malty so I closed it up and put it back in the closet and now it's beer-ific! Very exciting.

Probably going to bottle the Apfelwein from the spare Mr. Beer soon. It's been fermenting for about five weeks so I figure once it's bottled I'll let it sit until mid June before I crack one.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
YEHAW!!!!!!!! See the benefits of Patience!!!

*Grins like a Proud PAPA!*

Get Brewing ASAP Thiz...Them Beers Go FAST!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #509
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am not certain that this is the right place for this post...it is MRB related and recipe related. Anyway, I am one remaining MRB recipe away from going to 5 gal batches and getting away from the MRB kits.

The very first beer I made was the MRB West Coast Pale Ale and, after seeing all the neg comments about it and MRB, I wasn't expecting much. However, I was very patient with it and by the time I drank the last one, I knew I wanted to make a 5 gal version of it (without buying two recipes from MRB!). It was not bitter, didn't leave an aftertaste, and the low ABV made it enjoyable for SWMBO. To me, it was just a very smooth, clean tasting beer.

How would I go about breaking down MRB's WCPA to determine what is needed to make my own 5 gal. version? I found this recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=594726#post594726 and at first thought it was close until I compared the profiles.

Is this a trial and error thing, or is there a way to actually figure it out the first time?

Thanks!

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #510
timgman
Recipes 

Default 5 gal batches..

I plan on doing some split 5 gal batches in 2 mr beer kegs.. so I can start working on real recipes. I'll keep you all posted.
timg

Conditioning: coopers ipa
Conditioning: Niagara brewing honey-brown
Conditioning: TB Pilsner

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Quick Reply