Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #5071
Brauman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

bzwyatt - I'm pretty sure you can stretch your brew a long way, by deviating from the original recipe and adding some extra hops to the brew. Maybe steep 10 oz of 2Row Malt, throw in 5oz of corn sugar, the options are out there. What I would do above and beyond is get 2oz of your favorite hops from your homebrewing store and spice up the beer with extra hop additions. Basically you could go for a nice smash beer, keeping things simple. I'd use whatever hops was used to spice the malt, to keep the brew simple. Sugar will amp up the gravity and the grain will add to the body of your brew. Why not try a nice and light 2IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #5072
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauman View Post
Maybe steep 10 oz of 2Row Malt
2 row needs to be mashed.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #5073
sxharr05
Recipes 

Noob here with a quick question about Mr. Beer. I'm all set and ready to start when I check the temp in my "Fermentation Room". It's 80*. So I find a small fridge to put down there but can't pick it up until tomorrow. My question is, will it be okay to brew tonight and move it tomorrow after fridge is set up and cooled to 70, or should I just wait to have the room prepped before I start? Not too big a deal to wait, but I've got much more free time tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #5074
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxharr05 View Post
Noob here with a quick question about Mr. Beer. I'm all set and ready to start when I check the temp in my "Fermentation Room". It's 80*. So I find a small fridge to put down there but can't pick it up until tomorrow. My question is, will it be okay to brew tonight and move it tomorrow after fridge is set up and cooled to 70, or should I just wait to have the room prepped before I start? Not too big a deal to wait, but I've got much more free time tonight.

Thanks in advance.
I'd wait. Warmer fermentation temperatures lead to off flavors and the early stages of fermentation are even more important.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #5075
sxharr05
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
I'd wait. Warmer fermentation temperatures lead to off flavors and the early stages of fermentation are even more important.
Figured as much, just wanted a non-noob opinion.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #5076
quincy07
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So I was an idiot and thought it'd be a good idea to sanitize my plastic Mr Beer bottles in the dishwasher and deformed every one of them. I can't afford to go buy bottles until I get paid on Friday.

Will my "Classic American Light" be ok in primary for an extra week? It's been in there for 15 days now and I don't want my first brew ever to turn out funky cuz it picked up off flavored from the trub.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #5077
bpgreen
Recipes 

It'll be fine. Many people ferment for three weeks on a regular basis.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #5078
quincy07
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen
It'll be fine. Many people ferment for three weeks on a regular basis.
Ok thanks. I figured as much just wanted to be sure.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #5079
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 589

If you were nearby you could have some of my PETs, I'm using glass. You might switch to glass, but you'd still need a capper and caps. I save glass bottles from craft beer, or buy them used from the beverage center for the deposit, 5c@.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #5080
Flogamocker
Recipes 

My last two batches (Cowgirl Honey Light and Bohemian Bronze) have both had a sour, citrusy taste on the finish that made it difficult to enjoy. The only new thing I'd tried with these two is the Avinatore bottle rinser. I'm wondering if the bottles are being properly sanitized - I'm using the packet that comes in the MB kits. Does the sanitizer need to remain in contact with the bottle longer than the few splashes provided by the rinser?

Quick Reply