Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #5061
JohnSand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 931

I have their Spring White seasonal fermenting now. And I ordered a couple of craft refills when they were on sale. More malt, hopefully more flavor. But I'm not sticking strictly to MrBeer products to use in their fermenters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #5062
develdee42
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Question? If I confused the yeast of an Octoberfest LME, and the Mexican LME will that cause an issue? Off flavors ect?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #5063
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauman View Post
Hi -

So I just purchased a Mr Beer fermenter for some small batch brewing. First thing I noticed was that there was no hole for a airlock/blowoff tube. So lots of research later I learned that the notches eliminate the need of the airlock and or blow off. Frankly I don't trust those notches and it just seems like its going to be a disaster from the beginning. So I am planning on mod-ing my Mr Beer fermenter by drilling a hole in the lid, where i can then place the a stopper/ blowoff tube. Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone moded their Mr Beer is similar fashion? I'd appreciate the input.
There are folks that have done it. Patched the notches with auto filler or some other sort of filler. But why? Unless you are looking to do very big beers and would frequently require a blow off tube, the notches work just fine. The co2 gets out by lifting the lid and flowing out through the threads in the lid, which sits back down when pressure is less. For something bad to get in, it would have to crawl up the threads. Not perfect, but neither is an air lock.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #5064
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by develdee42 View Post
Question? If I confused the yeast of an Octoberfest LME, and the Mexican LME will that cause an issue? Off flavors ect?
No. Those are the same yeast. For the regular refills, they all have the same yeast except for the wheat refills.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #5065
Darth_Trader
Recipes 

I started here to but quickly found it limiting

Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #5066
Richchris
Recipes 

Default How my info

Hey guys I just wanted to share with you my blog that I did about beer brewing I'm new to this so please check it out and tell me what you think thx

http://www.empowernetwork.com/richch...-beer-brewing/

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #5067
Brauman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The brew I made yesterday, which is now in my Mr Beer fermenter, turned out to be 1.070. I was aiming for 1.050. The fermenter hasn't blown up yet. Wish me luck.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #5068
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2050 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 4072

it may not turn out good if your OG was that much off, you probably should have put more water in there to bring it down closer to 1.050

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #5069
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I got my first MrB kit after I purchased one for an office Christmas party gift last year. Saw it at Target, never heard of it, but got one. Later I got one for myself. Now I'm about to do my first AG batch this weekend, after several extract brews (thanks to BPGreen and other guys in here for answering Qs).

I asked the guy who won the gift if he ever brewed it, he said no and he gave it to me. So I have another LBK and a Light amer.lager HME can. I want to add something, maybe a few specialty grains and some hops. Maybe a scoop of sugar? Nothing huge, just a little something. I'm going to have people over for dinner tomorrow and probably brew it up after.

What would you add for a little extra flavor?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #5070
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 931

I've doctored an Aztec Mexican Cerveza with DME and hops, but it's still conditioning. I think there are recipe modifications on Mr Beer's website, I know there are on that forum.

Quick Reply