Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #491
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgman
I was wondering if I got a 3.3 lb can of muntons amber what else would I be able to add to it to get a good 2.5 gallon batch? would it be to much extract for a small batch?
I'd hate to only use half the can!!! hehehe
anyway here's the store near me..

http://www.smithrestaurantsupply.com...fm/4,2815.html

maybe they have enough stuff to make a good 2.5 gal. batch in stock?
Actually if you ever were to order a kit based on the mr beer advanced recipes they usually are made up with two of the 1.5 pound cans...And if you ever order a 5 gallon kit they usually are made up with 3.3 pounds of extract for and average gravity beer and for a full bodied beer with a higher abv, the base amount is around 6.6 pounds of extract.

So actually a 3.3 pound can of muntons would make for a full bodied MR beer...Add some steeping grains, and the right hops and it'll be great....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 02:56 AM   #492
timgman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

So actually a 3.3 pound can of muntons would make for a full bodied MR beer...Add some steeping grains, and the right hops and it'll be great....

That's where I get lost.. hehehe
what hops are the right ones?
hehehe

Conditioning: coopers ipa
Conditioning: Niagara brewing honey-brown
Conditioning: TB Pilsner

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #493
mmc
Recipes 

Quote:
No problem...To "rack" is to move a volume of beer from one place to another with a siphon...Usually the term is used in terms of moving the ber from primary to the secondary, but it is used to describe moving the beer from any vessel to another...

The auto siphon is made in such a way that the beer enters it about 1/2 to 1" from the bottom so it is not in the "crap" (trub), though some of it is needed to stay in the beer so when you prime the bottles with sugar, it will carbonate. If you have a lot of chunks in your trub...like bits of hops, or fruit seeds or whole spices...you can take 2 rubber bands and any piece of fine mesh cloth like clean pantyhose or a piece of a hopsack, or paint filter...whatever...You soak the cloth and rubberbands in santizer then attach it to the bottom of the autosiphon....but again that's only for the big chunks...you still need to move some yeasties through the process...

You can agitate a carboy any number of ways...You can get a wine/paint agitator like this;

you stick it in and attach it to an electric drill and give it a whirl....Though most people just sanitize a piece of foil, cover the opening of the carboy with it, and shake the heck out of it....with the smaller sizes (especially plastic ones) you can put it on your lap, hold the neck loosely and shake shake shake. People usually put bigger ones and glass carboys in a milk crate and holdin the crate give it s shake.

Well...for priming 5 gallons, the recomended amount of priming(corn) sugar is 3/4 cup or 5 ounces of it (so if you've made 2.5 gallons in your mr beer you'd use half that amount...and probably 2 1/4 ounces for 2 gallons.

I can't recall the amount of table sugar...but really you should avoid it in favor of corn sugar or DME....White sugar can leave a cidery taste in your beer....

I think I covered them all
Help...blew the top off!!!

First of all, let me say thanks for all the info you provided earlier. You answered a lot of questions. I got a racking cane and made a 3 piece siphon that I've seen in this forum. I batched primed with corn sugar on my last bottling. I think that will make a difference in the end result.

Now for my problem. I mixed a batch of Cranberry Maibock Saturday (lots of fruit). Rather than use the Mr. Beer fermenter, I used the 3 gallon water jug, orange carboy top, and airlock. I also used Nottingham yeast (approx. 1/2 of an 11 gram package). When I got home tonight, the top had blown off and I've got a mess all over the walls and ceiling. Is there anything I can do to salvage this batch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #494
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc
Help...blew the top off!!!

First of all, let me say thanks for all the info you provided earlier. You answered a lot of questions. I got a racking cane and made a 3 piece siphon that I've seen in this forum. I batched primed with corn sugar on my last bottling. I think that will make a difference in the end result.

Now for my problem. I mixed a batch of Cranberry Maibock Saturday (lots of fruit). Rather than use the Mr. Beer fermenter, I used the 3 gallon water jug, orange carboy top, and airlock. I also used Nottingham yeast (approx. 1/2 of an 11 gram package). When I got home tonight, the top had blown off and I've got a mess all over the walls and ceiling. Is there anything I can do to salvage this batch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You just had a blowoff...clean up the mess, and affix a blowoff tube to the carboy cap and put the other end of the tube in a container of water.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #495
mmc
Recipes 

Is that in addition to the airlock or instead of? I put the airlock and the blowoff tube on and the airlock is already showing a bunch of activity after only a few minutes. Nothing is happening with the blowoff tube. I think I'll set this out in the garage!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #496
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc
Is that in addition to the airlock or instead of? I put the airlock and the blowoff tube on and the airlock is already showing a bunch of activity after only a few minutes. Nothing is happening with the blowoff tube. I think I'll set this out in the garage!

Instead of the airlock...But if you had your big blowoff, you may not even need the tube again...just keep it handy. In the future if you're using fruit in primary fermentation make sure you use one for the first couple days.....

Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #497
mmc
Recipes 

Quote:
Instead of the airlock...But if you had your big blowoff, you may not even need the tube again...just keep it handy. In the future if you're using fruit in primary fermentation make sure you use one for the first couple days.....
So it sounds like you're telling me the beer is still OK???

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #498
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc
So it sounds like you're telling me the beer is still OK???

Yeah.....Blowoffs happen all the time. No big deal....It takes a heck of a lot to ruin beer....some people have been in such a panic that they cleaned up the mess and re attached the airlock without even stopping to re-sanitize the airlock...and their beer turned out ok...

Remember something....Beer's been brewed since ancient Egypt, and most of the time it was done in open vessels with nothing covering it, closed fermentation is a relatively new phenomenon (heck even the instructions on post prohibition beer kits recomended ceramic pots with a dish cloth on it) and even chemical sanitization procedures are a recent thing too, and the majority of beers came out fine...If they hadn't then this whole brewing thing would have gone the way of the dodo bird.

So you know the drill, Relax, Don't Worry, and Have a Home Brew (or at least a nice micro!)

Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #499
jllund62

Recipes 

Default Carbonation

We its been about 16 days since I started Irish stout and its been bottled
19 days and I tested one of the bottles and it tasted great, but it wasn't as
Carbonated as much as I hoped. very little to almost no head. the bottles sat at a constant 70 degrees for a little over a week with the correct amount of priming sugar, and the bottles ( 1 Ltr. PET Bottles) felt hard, but but still have a little give
to them. What might have happened?

Note: When in the fermenting keg, I noticed there wasn't much foaming going on
and it didn't ferment for very long. I'm thinking the yeast might have been old.
I want to use a Different type of yeast next time. any suggestions on what to use for dark stout type beers?
thanks in advance

Old 03-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #500
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jllund62
We its been about 16 days since I started Irish stout and its been bottled
19 days and I tested one of the bottles and it tasted great, but it wasn't as
Carbonated as much as I hoped. very little to almost no head. the bottles sat at a constant 70 degrees for a little over a week with the correct amount of priming sugar, and the bottles ( 1 Ltr. PET Bottles) felt hard, but but still have a little give
to them. What might have happened?

Note: When in the fermenting keg, I noticed there wasn't much foaming going on
and it didn't ferment for very long. I'm thinking the yeast might have been old.
I want to use a Different type of yeast next time. any suggestions on what to use for dark stout type beers?
thanks in advance

Nothings "happened," some beers take longer than the usual 3 weeks to condition and carb....I've had stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks before they were ready...

keep them at 70 for a couple more weeks and check on them...they'll be fine....

There's really no way to tell how a beer has fermented by looking at it, the only way to tell is with a hydrometer reading...The best thing without a hydrometer is just to wait 2 weeks for fermentation to run it's course before secondarying or bottling the beer...Homebrew is a living thing, and ALL living things take their own time...

In this day and age of high turnover it is rare to find yeast that is past it's prime....If you ordered the Mr Beer kit from the company, or picked it up somewhere around Christmas, most likely the yeast was less than a year old...

The best quote I ever heard about homebrewing is this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You do know that as a new brewer, it's your job to insanely worry that you have the only environment on earth where a billion yeast cells can't figure out how to find all that sugar that they crave. ;-)
For stouts any Irish Ale yeasts are good ones to use....

Quick Reply