Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #41
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
You can use the yeast that comes with the kit. I've only had one not work, I think, either it was slow to start.

I still use Mr Beer and make good beer with their products. My advice with these kits;

• Buy extra dry yeast like nottinghams keep 2-3 extract packs just in case you get a bad pack.
  • Buy a 3 gallon PET water bottle from Lowes/Home Depot or the grocery store and orange carboy cap w/ a S-Style airlock.
  • Buy an Auto-syphon for easy syphoning (3/8") w/ some hose too.
  • Buy a 5 gal pail for mixing up sanitzer.
  • Use the keg only for bottling. Rack finished beer to it get it off the sediment.
Extra yeast is good to have on hand. The 3 gal PET bottle w/ a cap & airlock will tell you a lot. The yeast is working or its almost done or just done.

Oops time for lunch...gotta go... This stuff will make it easier for you.
AWESOME! thanks for the input, I was thinking about keeping the Mr.Beer kegs around even after I upgrade my kits, esp since it will def come in handy when bottling.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #42
TopOfTheLine89
Recipes 

Ok my first brew which is a mr beer brew just came due last night, i had a glass and it tasted like beer but im not sure whether its alchoholic or not and wasn't about to find out at 3 in the morning. Can it taste like decent beer without being alcoholic? Any way to tell other then drinking 3 glasses? Ill guess ill get started on a pint while i wait for a reply.

Edit: pretty sure i can taste some alcohol

Last edited by TopOfTheLine89; 12-17-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #43
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you followed the directions it has alcohol. You can measure the alcohol but you need a hydrometer or a refractometer. Both require two measurement before and after fermentation.

If you made a beer w/ two cans of malt @ 2.3% each its 4.6%ABV

If you made a beer w/ one can and the booster is 2.3 +1.5 = 3.8% ABV

You manual tells you how to estimate the ABV based on what ingredients you used.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #44
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I read the recipe for the Apfelwein, but it was more specified for the large carboy, does anyone have an idea of the required amounts (recipe wise) for the Mr.Beer?

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #45
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
I read the recipe for the Apfelwein, but it was more specified for the large carboy, does anyone have an idea of the required amounts (recipe wise) for the Mr.Beer?
The carboy is 5 gallons, and Mr. Beer can fit 2.5, IIRC. Just halve the recipe.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #46
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
The carboy is 5 gallons, and Mr. Beer can fit 2.5, IIRC. Just halve the recipe.
i thought about that, but just wanted to make sure.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 12-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #47
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sometimes, late at night when I'm sure the family is asleep, I'll close the blinds and take out my Mr. Beer set.....

It really is a cheap way to get into the hobby. You don't even need to buy extract refills from Mr. Beer. You can get cans of malted extract at any LHBS or online. You can even work with DME and the hops of your choice. Eventually, you'll get tired of only having 2.5 gallons of beer for the same time investment it takes to make 5 gallons, and you'll expand your setup.

Cool part is that Mr. Beer is a low cost way to decide if you like brewing.

Welcome to our world!

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 AM   #48
yezzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I sort of went backwards. I started brewing 15 years ago with a full out 5 gallon setup. Lost interest for a while then picked up again in college but the house I lived in was like the city dump (4 college stoners and drunks living under one roof) My beer was always spoiled so i stopped for a while.

Living in apartments since then, I really had no room for the 5 gallon setup so I picked up a mr beer kit. I've been using it for 3 years now and like it. I'm drinking a mr beer all malt nut brown ale right now.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #49
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
Sometimes, late at night when I'm sure the family is asleep, I'll close the blinds and take out my Mr. Beer set.....

It really is a cheap way to get into the hobby. You don't even need to buy extract refills from Mr. Beer. You can get cans of malted extract at any LHBS or online. You can even work with DME and the hops of your choice. Eventually, you'll get tired of only having 2.5 gallons of beer for the same time investment it takes to make 5 gallons, and you'll expand your setup.

Cool part is that Mr. Beer is a low cost way to decide if you like brewing.

Welcome to our world!
And like many have pointed out, the fermentor it comes with is perfect for making wife-juice. I should be bottling my ginger-hard lemonade today.

Mine also came with PET bottles which are convenient for yeast harvesting.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #50
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Forget about Mr Beer.... Where's Ms Beer???

I'm wondering where Ms Beer is! Has anyone seen her? I mean sure I've seen some Bud girls in my day but never any Ms Beer Girls! It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy! I may have to write the Nat. Orig. of Women and see if they want to get involved in revealing who's behind this coverup!!!!!

Yes for the record seeing a Mr Beer kit on the shelf of a local thrift store peaked my intrest in homebrewing... before that all I knew about homebrewing was that the Sheriff came to my great grandad's house during prohibition looking for his homebrew.... Never found it! Ole man Cooley Rocks!!!!!! And by the way, he had it hid in quart jars in the walls of the house!!!

Quick Reply