Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #4951
bpgreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
Quick yeast question. I have a couple of mr beer recipes, Jamaica Mon, Howling Red, and Octoberfest deluxe that all use the standard yeast from mr beer. If i substitued say US 05 yeast for the mr beer yeast, will this make a big difference in taste?

I have a couple of batches now that still have the slight sweet flavor even after fermenting for 3 weeks and bottle carbing for 4 more. Also I used a bit less than the recommended 6 TBSP for carbing, 3/4 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle times 24. I used only 4 TBSPs. Thoughts??
Changing the yeast can make a big difference. US-05 is an American ale yeast. It's the dry version of the Chico strain (same yeast used for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). It ferments cleanly, especially near the low end of the temperature range. I don't like a lot of esters and I do like APAs, so it's one of my favorite yeasts.

In my opinion, the Mr Beer sugar amounts are on the high side, and I generally use less when I bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #4952
SulBruin3
Recipes 

Thanks to both. I am going to order some US 05 and mabye a lager strain too for the octoberfest. What a good lager yeast for the high 50s and low 60s?? Saflager 23? I live in the NE and the basements up here only get in the mid 60s during the summer so the kegs will be hitting the basement for a bit.

As for the Mr beer yeast, i read on this thread that some ppl throw this in the bowl and kill it to use it as yeast food. Good? Bad?

Final question. Is it ok to use entire 11.5 grams in each batch considering that the packets under the lid are much smaller?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #4953
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
Thanks to both. I am going to order some US 05 and mabye a lager strain too for the octoberfest. What a good lager yeast for the high 50s and low 60s?? Saflager 23? I live in the NE and the basements up here only get in the mid 60s during the summer so the kegs will be hitting the basement for a bit.

As for the Mr beer yeast, i read on this thread that some ppl throw this in the bowl and kill it to use it as yeast food. Good? Bad?

Final question. Is it ok to use entire 11.5 grams in each batch considering that the packets under the lid are much smaller?
If it's going to be in the high 50s to low 60s, I think I'd be tempted to go with Nottingham instead of a lager yeast. At those temperatures, you'll get a "lager like" ale with Nottingham.

Yeast that you don't want to use can be used as a source of nutrients for other yeast or you can save it for future batches. If you decide to use it as a nutrient, I'd add it to the boil to make sure it dies.

It's fine to use the full 11.5 g packet. If you'll brew again within a week or so, you can sanitize the packet, open it, use half, then tape it back up again. But if it's going to sit for a while after opening, a lot of the yeast will likely die off, so you may as well use it all.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #4954
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I was just thinking today that I've never had a beer blow the swing-top open so strong as the beers I've brewed with MrB, so they must recommend a lot of priming sugar. Maybe I'll try some with less. How much, like 75% what they say?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #4955
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
I was just thinking today that I've never had a beer blow the swing-top open so strong as the beers I've brewed with MrB, so they must recommend a lot of priming sugar. Maybe I'll try some with less. How much, like 75% what they say?
I stopped measuring and started weighing a long time ago (and actually usually keg now) so I've forgotten exactly. I think I used somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 what was in teh book.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #4956
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt
I have been using 1tsp/12oz. But I'm also using corn sugar.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #4957
olotti
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just brewed, bottled and opened a couple of my first two batches of Mr. Beer, one a Stout and a Hefe and used the Mr. Beer recommendation of sugar, I used just table sugar, and didn't have any bottle bombs. Lucky?? IDK never done this before. The first stout had been bottle conditioned for 2 weeks and was still a little over cabonated, tried another a week later and they're pretty right on. I put one Hefe in the fridge last week and tried it after 4 days and it was not bad a little sweet/cidery but had the clove/banana taste so I'm giving them another week to bottle condition then I'll try another.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #4958
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olotti View Post
I just brewed, bottled and opened a couple of my first two batches of Mr. Beer, one a Stout and a Hefe and used the Mr. Beer recommendation of sugar, I used just table sugar, and didn't have any bottle bombs. Lucky?? IDK never done this before. The first stout had been bottle conditioned for 2 weeks and was still a little over cabonated, tried another a week later and they're pretty right on. I put one Hefe in the fridge last week and tried it after 4 days and it was not bad a little sweet/cidery but had the clove/banana taste so I'm giving them another week to bottle condition then I'll try another.
I consider the Mr beer recommendations highly carbonated, but there's a difference between highly carbonated and bottle bombs. Bottle bombs are more likely from bottling early before fermentation is finished or an infection.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #4959
Flogamocker
Recipes 

I will be brewing this weekend and adding hops for the first time. Do I need to sanitize the muslin sack?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #4960
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogamocker View Post
I will be brewing this weekend and adding hops for the first time. Do I need to sanitize the muslin sack?
Not if its going in the boil, the heat will take care of that

Quick Reply