Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #4911
bpgreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doob View Post
Ok here's a question. I used the muslin sack to boil hops in and now I'm ready to bottle, but there is some very visible floating debris in the fermenter. Can I/should I strain it prior to bottling? Seems to be quite a bit of it in there and it has been two and a half weeks since brew.

Thanks
I would not try straining it. You would most likely do more harm than good because straining it would almost surely introduce oxygen, and at this stage of the game, that's a bad thing (unless you want beer that tastes like wet cardboard).

If you have a lot of stuff floating around, you can cold crash by putting the LBK in the fridge for a few days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #4912
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I decided to bottle my patriot lager tonight, after 19 days. I tasted it and it was really good! I was so worried about it but it was great! Had some cidery flavor, but after my last batch I know that will condition out and the flavor it had 'under' the cider was nice!
I also cleaned up the cooler with my porter that bubbled over and I poured a taste of that too, and it was great! Maybe it is the roast flavor so strong covering it, but I didn't taste any cider or other flavors, just really good porter!
I bought swing tops from MrB and they will come tomorrow, I feel like bottling the porter too... but I will wait until next week. Main thing though is my beer isn't ruined, it is good! I'm so relieved!

bpgreen you are a good guy, always answer my questions and others with good info, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #4913
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn09
Well, I finally took the plunge tonight. Me and a buddy brewed what we had in our kit, which was the Cowboy Lager AND American Blonde kits. We only used one booster. It's in the LBK now, and the plan is to leave it there for ~3 weeks or so.

We're both pretty pumped!
Quick question for those with experience: any idea on what kind of "style" we should expect from this combination? I know the American Blonde is obviously a Blonde Ale, but I'm not sure what the Cowboy is, much less what the combination will be similar to.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #4914
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I did one similar, called it the Cowboy Blond. Added a 15 min hop boil and added some dme as well, and it came out very nice. Both kits are very light ales, so with the addition of the booster, you'll get a pretty light beer.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #4915
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #4916
SulBruin3
Recipes 

I know this has probably been asked before but can you order 5 gallon kits and brew then split the wort into 2 seperate mr beer fermentors and then let it sit for 3 weeks and then bottle and condition for 3 weeks?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #4917
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
I know this has probably been asked before but can you order 5 gallon kits and brew then split the wort into 2 seperate mr beer fermentors and then let it sit for 3 weeks and then bottle and condition for 3 weeks?
Keep in mind that the LBK is designed for 2.125 gallon batches, so if you split a 5 gallon batch, you'll either overfill the fermenter a bit or make a stronger beer. I used to overfill to about 2.4 gallons without a problem (on mine, that was to the bottom of the Q in Quart). You may get some overflow if you overfill, but if so, just make sure the lid is loose enough that the notches don't get plugged with excess krausen.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #4918
SulBruin3
Recipes 

thanks. I was checking out austin homebrew supply website and most of the 5 gallon kits are 30 to 40 for 2 cases when you pay the same for 1 good recipe with mr beer. Guess i got to get a 5 gallon set up...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #4919
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
thanks. I was checking out austin homebrew supply website and most of the 5 gallon kits are 30 to 40 for 2 cases when you pay the same for 1 good recipe with mr beer. Guess i got to get a 5 gallon set up...
You could get a 5 gallon setup (I did), but you don't need to. You can brew 5 gallons split between 2 LBKs, you just have to watch for overflow. With particularly active fermentation, you can overflow even without overfilling, and you can overfill without overflowing, also.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #4920
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

MrB instructions say sprinkle yeast in LBK. Their book I was reading says stir vigorously.

Does it make a difference, and why? I figured you'd want to stir it in but followed the instructions, figure yeast does its thing. Now I'm wondering if I shoulda stirred...

Quick Reply