The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #481
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by jllund62
I'm not a big fan of bitter beers like the stuff you buy at a store, and perfer a more malt style brews.
Can anyone tell me if I can brew with only UMEs and other Ingredients,
can I still make a great beer? Or do I still need to start with the basic package
Thanks
You generally make better beers using unhopped malt extract and hopping with pellets, plugs, or whole hops according to your recipe, and the style of beer you are brewing...Different styles have different levels of IBU's (international bittering units)...

BMC's (pilsners and light lagers, like commercial mass produced beers like bud/miller/coors) have the lowest amount of ibus...I like to joke that the closest they get to hops is when the delivery truck passes by a homebreww shop...IPA's and Double IPA's have amongsts the highest...

It's really hard to know what you deem "to bitter" or "Perfectly malty" since everybody's tastes are different.

But if you name some of the beers you've tried, both loved and hated, we'll tell you what style it is and help you find a recipe, or an existing Mr Beer kit to make...

You will find though as you get into homebrewing and try more of the world's great beers, your palate will become more sophisticated, and what you thought was too bitter today, may be your favorite style a year from now....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #482
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Those are cool pictures thanks for posting them. I actually had a freak out when I looked at my last batch with the flash light because there was this huge nasty looking cloud-growth-thingy floating inside the Mr. Beer and it took me a few minutes to remember it was the hop sack I put in there! I was laughing out loud at myself for twenty minutes :-)

Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #483
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwizzit
Those are cool pictures thanks for posting them. I actually had a freak out when I looked at my last batch with the flash light because there was this huge nasty looking cloud-growth-thingy floating inside the Mr. Beer and it took me a few minutes to remember it was the hop sack I put in there! I was laughing out loud at myself for twenty minutes :-)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Sorry....but that's the best freakout story I ever heard...

Just think, you sorta dry hopped your first beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #484
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, it was pretty funny. I was thinking I had some sort of nasty infection.. No apologies necessary, I love stupid stuff :-) One time when my son was about two he peed on the tile floor outside the bathroom and I come walking along and I slipped like the classic, old-time banana peel movie prat-fall, feet up in the the air and everything. Classic. And all I could think of (while I was re-setting my dislocated finger) was I wish I could have seen it because it must have been hilarious to watch :-)

Last edited by Thwizzit; 03-19-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #485
hoppyih
Recipes 

Default mr beer refills in london ontario

hey all, quite a fantastic site if i do say so myself, i honestly can't beleive i'v enever found this site before.
so anyroad, any of you guys now of any HB shops in london ontario, that carry any of the refill kits, i'm getting back into HBing, long story with SWMBO and a wedding and a bleeder or two coming along.
but anyways any help will be greatly appreciated, i'm moving back to the london area after many o yrs down in that other country, you know that country with the really weak light beers .
i'm kidding no offence to our southern cousins, but any help would be nice.
laters
hoppyih

Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #486
timgman
Recipes 

Default the kegworks in buffalo ny

the kegworks in buffalo ny
has an ebay site and a web page...
I think it either "thekegworks.com or kegworks.com

They sell the kits....
of course buffalo is famous for "light beers and mildly hot chicken wings"

hehehe

Conditioning: coopers ipa
Conditioning: Niagara brewing honey-brown
Conditioning: TB Pilsner

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #487
Revvy

Recipes 

Of course if you are going to an lhbs, why don't you start formulating your own 2 gallon recipes, or tailoring the recipes on this site to the small size and buy the ingredients like that...I can gurantee the beers will taste better than with the pre-hopped kits...

Don't think of Mr Beer ingredients as the only stuff you can put in it...think of the mr beer as a small fermenter. You can brew any beer in it as long as you work out the recipes...

Shaffer pilot has formulated several of his recipes to mr beer sized batches.

You can even go all grain in your kitchenand ferment in your mr beer, as long as you can boil around 3 gallons of wort down to 2 1/2 to 2 gallons on your stove....

I'm going to be forumulating an article about doing that soon...I'll be posting my progress and info here.

Last edited by Revvy; 03-21-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #488
timgman
Recipes 

I was wondering if I got a 3.3 lb can of muntons amber what else would I be able to add to it to get a good 2.5 gallon batch? would it be to much extract for a small batch?
I'd hate to only use half the can!!! hehehe
anyway here's the store near me..

http://www.smithrestaurantsupply.com...fm/4,2815.html

maybe they have enough stuff to make a good 2.5 gal. batch in stock?

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #489
timgman
Recipes 

Default Btw!!!!

Does anyone know???
Are there expiration dates on MR Beer extract kits?

thanks
timg

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #490
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgman
Does anyone know???
Are there expiration dates on MR Beer extract kits?

thanks
timg
Uh, I can't recall...but on most canned extracts there are....

If you're finding them in someplace like bed bath and beyond or a drugstore they probably were shipped around thanksgiving as gift items...

Quick Reply