Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #4841
bzwyatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

3/4 teaspoon. You have measuring spoons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #4842
Flogamocker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt
I have plenty of measuring spoons. I don't like the double-sized measurer with the slots I ordered from Mr. Beer, but I do like the one with the adjustable slider.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #4843
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
That would be the amount in the Mr beer book. I think their recommendations are on the high side, though, so I'd probably use 1/2 tsp.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #4844
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogamocker View Post
I have plenty of measuring spoons. I don't like the double-sized measurer with the slots I ordered from Mr. Beer, but I do like the one with the adjustable slider.
Ditto.
I've used the adjustable one for years.

Brewing since '08
1-91) - Gone
92) Dry Stout (with homemade long roast malt)
93) Hopped Crystal Malt Mead
94) Early California Lager
95) IPA

Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #4845
devianttouch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I. Read. The. Whole. Thing.

It took several weeks, but I did it! 485 pages! Worth it - I learned a ton of information about brewing in general, getting the most out of my Mr. Beer kits, using both the Mr. Beer refills and other ingredients, etc.

I have 3 LBKs and I bought a ton of other Mr Beer stuff off a guy on Craigslist so I have a lot to work with. Some thoughts:

I did the American Light first. Just the HME, no adjuncts or changes. Fermented 11 days in the LBK, bottled in 12 oz glass bottles with individual priming with corn sugar. Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks, put 6 in the fridge and left them there for a week. Decent carbonation, inoffensive flavor, not a lot of interest. But hey, I made beer and I didn't **** it up! Woohoo!

I then did the Northwest Pale Ale, with one softpack of the pale UME. It was in the LBK for 15 days, bottled in 12 oz glass bottles, individually primed with table sugar. It's carbonating now, I'll taste it in 2 weeks.

In my LBKs now is the Czech Pilsner with a softpack of UME, the Chocolate Covered Cherries recipe (Oktoberfest, Robust UME softpack, can of cherries), and a batch of Apfelwein. Looking forward to tasting all of these too, when they're done.

Coming up soon - Patriot Lager, Blue Patriot recipe, more Northwest Pale Ale, and Boysenberry Tart recipe (with UME instead of booster probably).

The Apfelwein is something I have done 1 gallon batches of before several times (I also do 1 gallon cider, mead, and fruit wines), and I will probably keep one LBK fermenting that for the foreseeable future.

I have not yet tried doing any of my own hops - this is the next thing I want to try. I don't even know what kinds of hops I like yet, so choosing which ones to learn with is kind of my sticking point. I think I understand how to use them just fine but how do I choose what hops to use? Anyone who has suggestions on how to experiment with hops in the most sensible possible way let me know!

I would also like to try some of the Brew Demon products. The prices are fairly attractive there, but I will definitely use more extract instead of their "brew enhancer" which seems to be the new version of the old Booster.

Thanks to all of you for helping me learn how to get the most out of my Mr Beer gear. I look forward to making more beer! I will participate here too, as I learn more and get more experience.

Primary:Concord Pyment, Cyser, cider, White Grape Peach wine, Raspberry Concord Wine, Czech Pilsner
Secondary:JAOM
Bottled: White Grape Peach wine (sparkling and still), Light American Ale, Cranberry wine, JAOM, Apfelwein (sparkling and still), Grape Cranberry Raspberry wine, Northwest Pale Ale, Chocolate Cherry Ale

Lumo Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #4846
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devianttouch View Post
I. Read. The. Whole. Thing.

It took several weeks, but I did it! 485 pages! Worth it - I learned a ton of information about brewing in general, getting the most out of my Mr. Beer kits, using both the Mr. Beer refills and other ingredients, etc.

I have 3 LBKs and I bought a ton of other Mr Beer stuff off a guy on Craigslist so I have a lot to work with. Some thoughts:

I did the American Light first. Just the HME, no adjuncts or changes. Fermented 11 days in the LBK, bottled in 12 oz glass bottles with individual priming with corn sugar. Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks, put 6 in the fridge and left them there for a week. Decent carbonation, inoffensive flavor, not a lot of interest. But hey, I made beer and I didn't **** it up! Woohoo!

I then did the Northwest Pale Ale, with one softpack of the pale UME. It was in the LBK for 15 days, bottled in 12 oz glass bottles, individually primed with table sugar. It's carbonating now, I'll taste it in 2 weeks.

In my LBKs now is the Czech Pilsner with a softpack of UME, the Chocolate Covered Cherries recipe (Oktoberfest, Robust UME softpack, can of cherries), and a batch of Apfelwein. Looking forward to tasting all of these too, when they're done.

Coming up soon - Patriot Lager, Blue Patriot recipe, more Northwest Pale Ale, and Boysenberry Tart recipe (with UME instead of booster probably).

The Apfelwein is something I have done 1 gallon batches of before several times (I also do 1 gallon cider, mead, and fruit wines), and I will probably keep one LBK fermenting that for the foreseeable future.

I have not yet tried doing any of my own hops - this is the next thing I want to try. I don't even know what kinds of hops I like yet, so choosing which ones to learn with is kind of my sticking point. I think I understand how to use them just fine but how do I choose what hops to use? Anyone who has suggestions on how to experiment with hops in the most sensible possible way let me know!

I would also like to try some of the Brew Demon products. The prices are fairly attractive there, but I will definitely use more extract instead of their "brew enhancer" which seems to be the new version of the old Booster.

Thanks to all of you for helping me learn how to get the most out of my Mr Beer gear. I look forward to making more beer! I will participate here too, as I learn more and get more experience.
One way to find hops you like is to read about commercial beers you like and check what hops they use.

There are also descriptions of what different hops contribute.

But the only way to really know is to try some and see what they do. I'd suggest trying one variety at a time so you can identify what you like and dislike from each. If you use two at a time, you don't know which contributes which flavors you get.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #4847
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
One way to find hops you like is to read about commercial beers you like and check what hops they use.

But the only way to really know is to try some and see what they do. I'd suggest trying one variety at a time so you can identify what you like and dislike from each. If you use two at a time, you don't know which contributes which flavors you get.
+1 the LBK is quite handy for small batch SMaSH beers

Old 04-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #4848
devianttouch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post

Yes, that makes perfect sense - one hop variety at a time. I guess the question is mostly in deciding which varieties to choose to experiment with. I have Palmer's "How To Brew" so maybe I'll look through his hops list again, and choose maybe 3 to start with and do 3 test batches soon.

Primary:Concord Pyment, Cyser, cider, White Grape Peach wine, Raspberry Concord Wine, Czech Pilsner
Secondary:JAOM
Bottled: White Grape Peach wine (sparkling and still), Light American Ale, Cranberry wine, JAOM, Apfelwein (sparkling and still), Grape Cranberry Raspberry wine, Northwest Pale Ale, Chocolate Cherry Ale

Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #4849
Flogamocker
Recipes 

New to this forum - love it!

Just bottled my third Mr. Beer batch - Patriot Lager. First time using 12 oz bottles (repurposed Sam Adams bottles), capper, and bottling wand.

Feeling more confident with every batch and I plan on graduating to carboys, air locks and 5 gallon brewing soon.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #4850
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I'm sure this is a multi-time-asked question, sorry...

I brewed my first batches in winter and even in Los Angeles it got chilly for my wort, I was surprised. My new batches are in the LBK now, and yesterday it got warm enough the hot/red square on my indicator was showing. It was only for an hour maybe before I got it cooled back down to green.

Is that usually long enough to produce off-flavors?

Quick Reply