Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #4831
SulBruin3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

quick question. I just tasted my latest batch and its taste good but flat. Could i open the bottles up and add a bit more sugar to get some carbonation into the bottles? Then let them sit for another week or two. They have been conditioning for 4 weeks now. Thoughts??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4832
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much sugar did you use and what temp have they been sitting at?

Generally, opening them up and adding sugar will immediately cause volcanoes (remember making those in science class?)

The only thing that worked for me in the past was to mix sugar and water (like you would for batch priming), boil it, coil it and then add a tiny bit to each bottle.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #4833
SulBruin3
Recipes 

They have been sitting in 65 to 70 degrees for 4 weeks. I used 3 tbsp (1.7 0z approx) of corn sugar and boiled with water. Then added directly to keg, stirred it a bit and then let the trub settle to the bottom before bottling. The one i drank last night was extremely flat, which really surprised me as i have kept other batches at the same temp all have had good carbonation.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #4834
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's one way to batch prime! Without a bottling bucket, you're better just to bottle prime. That said your temps are a little low for carbing so you might just have to wait a bit longer and possibly let them get a bit warmer for them to prime up.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #4835
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulBruin3 View Post
They have been sitting in 65 to 70 degrees for 4 weeks. I used 3 tbsp (1.7 0z approx) of corn sugar and boiled with water. Then added directly to keg, stirred it a bit and then let the trub settle to the bottom before bottling. The one i drank last night was extremely flat, which really surprised me as i have kept other batches at the same temp all have had good carbonation.
Have you primed this way before?

I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. If you're going to batch prime, I would use a separate priming container. This can be another LBK, a Slimline or a bucket. Siphon or pour from the spigot (with tubing reaching the bottom of the priming container to reduce exposure to air). I used to add the sugar solution to the priming container first, and set the tube in such that it would swirl and mix with the beer. Others like to add partway through filling, being careful not to add air.

How did you come up with 3 T of sugar? If you're correct that it's 1.7 oz, that seems on the low side to me. I always weighed when I batch primed and IIRC, I used 60 g for most batches. 1.7 oz is about 48 g.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #4836
SulBruin3
Recipes 

Thanks but no. I read this somewhere in the beginning of this thread and will NOT try to prime in keg again. I got the amount from Tastybrew.com homebrewing calculators. I just bottled an amber and am now using a bottling bucket and boiling the priming sugar too. Every batch is a learning experience and the beer is getting much better...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #4837
Lumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Northwest Pale Ale that has been in the fermenter for 13 days. I really want to free up this fermenter for another batch. All visible signs of fermenting have stopped (no readings).

How does an extra week in the bottles compare to an extra week in the fermenter? Should I bottle now?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #4838
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumo View Post
I have a Northwest Pale Ale that has been in the fermenter for 13 days. I really want to free up this fermenter for another batch. All visible signs of fermenting have stopped (no readings).
You can't really tell if it's done fermenting by looking at it. There's really only visible activity during the most active phases of fermentation. Depending on a lot of variables (yeast used, ingredients, fermentation temperatures) it may well be done after 13 days. You could give it a taste test and if it's not sweet, it's probably done. The BEST way to determine whether it's done is with a hydrometer.

Quote:
How does an extra week in the bottles compare to an extra week in the fermenter? Should I bottle now?
That all depends on whether it is finished fermenting or not.

If it's finished fermenting, there are some who say that bulk conditioning (leaving it in the LBK) offers benefits over conditioning in the bottle, while others say there isn't much difference between the two.

If it's not done fermenting, leaving it in the LBK allows fermentation to complete, and bottling allows bottle bombs to be created.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #4839
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

No question here, just excited 'cause I started another batch. I have one bottle left from my second batch a couple months back, stuck it in the fridge to see if a lot of time makes a difference. Bought patriot lager and american porter, both with the booster packs, started the lager last night. I love coming home and checking on it, smelling the beer, looking at the bubbles... It is like a new pet, hehe.
Anybody brew those recipes? Hopefully they are good...

Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #4840
Flogamocker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt
No question here, just excited 'cause I started another batch. I have one bottle left from my second batch a couple months back, stuck it in the fridge to see if a lot of time makes a difference. Bought patriot lager and american porter, both with the booster packs, started the lager last night. I love coming home and checking on it, smelling the beer, looking at the bubbles... It is like a new pet, hehe.
Anybody brew those recipes? Hopefully they are good...
I'm getting ready to bottle my Patriot Lager today - using 12 oz bottles and a capper for the first time. Trying to figure out how much priming sugar to add to the bottles . . .

Quick Reply