Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #4821
bigtuna101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think I did the sugar wrong on this batch, but I have to say once the suds clear it's a very tasty IPA. I used citrus wet hopped and willement dry hop. A little dark malt along with mostly an Australian light malt to go with the australin IPA HME I used. I added about 500g of corn sugar to the wort as well. I then used a brittish yest and it is great (minus gushing). It came out at about 7.5% and the head is creamy and rich. I had to let them sit in secondary for a good amount longer then I normally do as with me over surgering the bottling process I assume the yeasty flavor was due to fact the fermentation was still under way and they did not gush three weeks back but tasted bad. Now they gush and taste great. Sorry for the rant two pints in but hey I love making beer now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #4822
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna101 View Post
I think I did the sugar wrong on this batch, but I have to say once the suds clear it's a very tasty IPA. I used citrus wet hopped and willement dry hop. A little dark malt along with mostly an Australian light malt to go with the australin IPA HME I used. I added about 500g of corn sugar to the wort as well. I then used a brittish yest and it is great (minus gushing). It came out at about 7.5% and the head is creamy and rich. I had to let them sit in secondary for a good amount longer then I normally do as with me over surgering the bottling process I assume the yeasty flavor was due to fact the fermentation was still under way and they did not gush three weeks back but tasted bad. Now they gush and taste great. Sorry for the rant two pints in but hey I love making beer now.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that you want to get them all in the refrigerator now so that no further fermentation occurs.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #4823
bpgreen
Recipes 

Oops. Double post

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #4824
jkn09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen
Two cans of HME and one booster can make a pretty good beer.

Since they're a year or so old, you may want to get some new yeast.
Sounds good. Thanks for the tip. I'll update soon!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #4825
SulBruin3
Recipes 

i have just mixed up the mr beer winter dark ale and have looked on a couple of websites to find out how much priming sugar i should use and this style was not listed. Any thoughts because this is a heavier beer and i do not want to over carbonate?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #4826
mdbrewer1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm usually pretty good at reading through a thread before posting a question, but at 483 pages, that seemed like a bit much. I did a search but a couple of the responses danced around the topic but I wasn't clear on the answer to my particular question.

I picked up 3 LBK for cheap and would like to use them to split up a 5 gallon batch of stout to experiment with different flavors. Can I split the wort into thirds (between 2 and 1.5 gal in each), let each primary in its own LBK, open each up for an addition after primary is finished, and then let it do a pseudo-secondary in the same LBK?

Essentially boils down to this... Can I primary in a LBK, open it up after primary fermantation is complete to do additions (e.g. bourbon soaked vanilla beans), and then let it set in the same LBK another 2 weeks or so for the additions to do their thing?

The fact that it isn't airtight gives me pause so I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what the results were.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #4827
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrewer1 View Post
I'm usually pretty good at reading through a thread before posting a question, but at 483 pages, that seemed like a bit much. I did a search but a couple of the responses danced around the topic but I wasn't clear on the answer to my particular question.

I picked up 3 LBK for cheap and would like to use them to split up a 5 gallon batch of stout to experiment with different flavors. Can I split the wort into thirds (between 2 and 1.5 gal in each), let each primary in its own LBK, open each up for an addition after primary is finished, and then let it do a pseudo-secondary in the same LBK?

Essentially boils down to this... Can I primary in a LBK, open it up after primary fermantation is complete to do additions (e.g. bourbon soaked vanilla beans), and then let it set in the same LBK another 2 weeks or so for the additions to do their thing?

The fact that it isn't airtight gives me pause so I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what the results were.

Thanks!
You could, but with the way the LBK is made, since there won't be much activity, you won't get a good layer of CO2 during the secondary fermentation and there will be a fair amount of headspace, so there's a greater risk of infection. If I were doing it, I'd split the 5 gallon recipe in half, slightly overfill the fermenters and just add the additions without transferring to a different LBK.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #4828
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
You could, but with the way the LBK is made, since there won't be much activity, you won't get a good layer of CO2 during the secondary fermentation and there will be a fair amount of headspace, so there's a greater risk of infection. If I were doing it, I'd split the 5 gallon recipe in half, slightly overfill the fermenters and just add the additions without transferring to a different LBK.
or just open it up after a week and toss it in. try not to blow off the co2 layer that is on it, and don't chuck it in ,,,, but without too much disturbance you'll be fine.

bp, didn't sound like he wanted to transfer.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #4829
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmark View Post
or just open it up after a week and toss it in. try not to blow off the co2 layer that is on it, and don't chuck it in ,,,, but without too much disturbance you'll be fine.

You're right. I just reread his post and he said he would do a pseudo secondary in the same LBK.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #4830
mdbrewer1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmark View Post

Thank you both for the responses.

That makes sense to me. I think I'll give that a shot. Would it be less of a disturbance to put the additions in a muslin bag and slowly lower them in? One of the additions I'd like to try is toasted coconut and I've read that is a nice clean way to do it.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - None More Black Stout, Caramel Amber Ale, Centennial Blonde, Oktoberfest, Pumptoberfest
Planned - Bell's Two Hearted Clone, Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

Quick Reply