Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #4741
NadoHawk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealia View Post
You've got a lot going on there, really.

A witbier typically has a citrus aroma and taste from orange and corriander and you've already added NB hops which are more piney/minty in flavor to it.

Then, you've got some honey which will bump the ABV a bit and dry out the beer - ok.

And you want to add oak chips AND some spirits to it?
I'm trying to just have a beer that will wow my taste buds with complexity since it won't have much body (I did not add enough honey to really change the ABV equation much) and if it does not work out well, it's just a stage on my homebrewing experience. I've already learned what to do better just from the prep on this brew.

I was going to just use coriander and dried orange peel, but lost the orange peel in the year since I bought it.

Edit: So I was able to use the vodka after-all and whole leaf (though their condition was poor due to shipping) Centennial as well....enough to make it a weak white IPA I think, which I wanted to do since a couple weeks ago today when I had my first at a bar....guess my subconscious was pretty clear on what it wanted me to brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #4742
olotti
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So newbie here going with Mr. Beer, my wife had three LBK's so we did two batches. One is the Hefeweizen and the other Dark Forest stout. After reading through alot of this thread this is what I gather, please lmk if Im on the right path here:

1. Let fermenting go for atleast 14 days, In my closet at 70-72 deg.
2. Bottle condition for 3 weeks, same closet 70-72deg. Im bottling with New Belgium bottles.
3. Place in fridge for 3-7 days before opening.

That's what I've gathered so far.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #4743
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olotti View Post
So newbie here going with Mr. Beer, my wife had three LBK's so we did two batches. One is the Hefeweizen and the other Dark Forest stout. After reading through alot of this thread this is what I gather, please lmk if Im on the right path here:

1. Let fermenting go for atleast 14 days, In my closet at 70-72 deg.
2. Bottle condition for 3 weeks, same closet 70-72deg. Im bottling with New Belgium bottles.
3. Place in fridge for 3-7 days before opening.

That's what I've gathered so far.

If the air temperature is 70-72, your fermentation temperature is going to be about 75-80 during the most active portion of fermentation. I think the Mr beer yeast is more forgiving of night temperatures than many other yeast strains, but I'd ferment a little cooler if possible.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #4744
olotti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
If the air temperature is 70-72, your fermentation temperature is going to be about 75-80 during the most active portion of fermentation. I think the Mr beer yeast is more forgiving of night temperatures than many other yeast strains, but I'd ferment a little cooler if possible.
I can move it downstairs where ambient temp is 60-62deg, so that would be what around 65-70deg during peak fermentation. Would that b better? Should I bottle condition downstairs too or is that to cold?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #4745
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olotti View Post
I can move it downstairs where ambient temp is 60-62deg, so that would be what around 65-70deg during peak fermentation. Would that b better? Should I bottle condition downstairs too or is that to cold?
If those were my choices, I'd brew downstairs. It might take a little longer at the cooler temperature, but you'll get a cleaner fermentation. If you don't mind the esters, you can brew upstairs. I actually ferment in a spot that's around 56-58, but I use Nottingham, which does well at lower temperatures.

You can bottle condition in either place. If you keep them downstairs, I'd wait at least 4 weeks before refrigerating.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #4746
olotti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
If those were my choices, I'd brew downstairs. It might take a little longer at the cooler temperature, but you'll get a cleaner fermentation. If you don't mind the esters, you can brew upstairs. I actually ferment in a spot that's around 56-58, but I use Nottingham, which does well at lower temperatures.

You can bottle condition in either place. If you keep them downstairs, I'd wait at least 4 weeks before refrigerating.
Thanks for the advice. I'll move the LBK's downstairs but Ill bottle condition upstairs.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #4747
Doob
Recipes 

Just bought some hops and want to attempt to make a ultra hoppy ipa.

I ordered the diablo recipe and also picked up four different kids of hops.

What should I add?

I have 1 oz of the following.
Liberty
Glacier
Palisade
Fuggle.

What say y'all?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #4748
BigJack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Of those options, I'd go with Fuggle. None of them are ideal for an American-style IPA, but Fuggle is an option for a British-style one.

Ale yes, I'm from Texas!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #4749
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack View Post
Of those options, I'd go with Fuggle. None of them are ideal for an American-style IPA, but Fuggle is an option for a British-style one.
I have to disagree, Palisade or Glacier are the closest for an American IPA. I'd suggest Palisade. You're right that Fuggle would work for an English style IPA, and Liberty is closer to a german style hop.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #4750
BigJack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone0 View Post
I have to disagree, Palisade or Glacier are the closest for an American IPA. I'd suggest Palisade. You're right that Fuggle would work for an English style IPA, and Liberty is closer to a german style hop.
I was under the impression that Palisade and Glacier were both Tettanger-ish varieties. Forgive me if I was mistaken.

Ale yes, I'm from Texas!

Quick Reply