Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #4721
JBDive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
Well we shall see. Went with the same recipe I had used for my Black Butte clone except replaced the extract with their Golden Ale kit. Only did a 30 min boil vs 90 as I doubt more time would make a difference then added the Golden Ale and quick chill. Didn't add any hops which may be a good thing as the ale extract smelled pretty hoppy. Went ahead with their yeast, no telling what it is. It's pretty dark but to be expected with the chocolate malts seeped in.

So basically Golden Ale kit in place of Light Malt Syrup and hops (Galena, Cascade and Tettnang) and short boil.
Beer machine mix calls for chilling after 3-4 days, it's one week out so I figured it was time to bottle. Took a sample and gravity was at 1.030, not good. Taste test was not to bad, certainly had the darker grains coming through, hops were weak but on the flat side with nothing happening in the mouth. Opened the top and it's got a full head of thick kraussen so I sealed it up and put it away. Will give it another week before testing but it's got a long way to go to get that gravity down.

Lesson learned though, never get everything ready to bottle before making sure the beer is ready. I had everything out, cleaned and ready to go, what a waste of time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #4722
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen
What temperature were the bottles stored at after bottling? What yeast did you use?
Bottles are stored at about 68. The fermometer is yellow. Not green so it's a little low I figured. Used the yeast that came with it

Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #4723
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
Bottles are stored at about 68. The fermometer is yellow. Not green so it's a little low I figured. Used the yeast that came with it
I'd think they should be carbonated. I'm stumped.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #4724
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
If 2 gallons makes about 22 bottles, 1/2 teaspoon is about right isn't it? I am ready to bottle my next batch (Oktoberfest) so I want to get this figured out soon. Should I just go 1 teaspoon and hope for no bombs?
Also, is the 2 teaspoons for the liter bottles good? Or should I go 2 1/2?
There might be some disagreement, but I've read that it's best to boil sugar in water for 5 - 10 minutes, and then bulk prime. That kills any bacteria that might be in the sugar. I once tried re-priming some bottles that had gone flat due to bad caps leaking by. Used 1/2 teaspoon of dry sugar per bottle. Some of these went bad - very sour. I'm a believer in boiling the sugar-water for priming.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #4725
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
There might be some disagreement, but I've read that it's best to boil sugar in water for 5 - 10 minutes, and then bulk prime. That kills any bacteria that might be in the sugar. I once tried re-priming some bottles that had gone flat due to bad caps leaking by. Used 1/2 teaspoon of dry sugar per bottle. Some of these went bad - very sour. I'm a believer in boiling the sugar-water for priming.
I'm not sure, but boiling sugar for 5-10 minutes sounds to me like a recipe for making candy.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #4726
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

I'm not sure, but boiling sugar for 5-10 minutes sounds to me like a recipe for making candy.
I don't currently have the equipment to do this so I need to prime each. Will try 3/4 teaspoons for next. How can I tell if the caps are leaking?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #4727
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1071 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Quote:
I don't currently have the equipment to do this so I need to prime each. Will try 3/4 teaspoons for next. How can I tell if the caps are leaking?
If you are using the PET bottles, give them a squeeze. If they are leaking you should be able to hear air releasing and being sucked back in. If the bottles get rock hard, the yeastie beasties are doing their job and the seal is holding.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #4728
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinHooligan

If you are using the PET bottles, give them a squeeze. If they are leaking you should be able to hear air releasing and being sucked back in. If the bottles get rock hard, the yeastie beasties are doing their job and the seal is holding.
I'm using 12oz Sam Adams bottles

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #4729
BigJack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive
ok so I'm not going to go through over 100 pages to find this so excuse me up front.

Somewhere I read that you will get a much better beer out of the kit beer packs if you don't do as instructed and just toss the dry kit, yeast and water but go ahead and boil as you would with a normal DME/Mash recipe. Yes, no? If yes do you have a preferred boil time?

Like some others that have posted I'm just starting out although I stopped using the prepacked kits that came with this thing after the first batch of basically dullwiser. I'm about to bottle my Black Butte clone and have several more kits and thought I would go ahead and give it another shot vs. wasting them. Was hoping to bottle tomorrow but looks like I'm still fermenting after 3 weeks and I've keep the temp near perfect the entire time. Other than not drinking more than a few bottles a week so not needing 50 bottles or more taking up space aging the Mr. Beer and clones will fit inside a large cooler allowing you to really keep that temp where you want it no matter if the wife turns up the hear because she is cold plus if you have leakage it's contained.
Don't boil the canned liquid malt. It is already hopped, so boiling it will make the beer more bitter than you probably want.

Here's an easy way to get good (not great, not epic- but certainly drinkable) results from a Mr Beer canned kit: get a pound of light dry malt extract and boil it in about two quarts of water for ten minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the canned kit and, if you want, so hops of your choice for flavor. Cool to room temp. Add to the keg, top off with bottled water. Aerate with sanitized whisk. The yeast supplied comes from Coopers and is decent for many styles. There is nothing wrong with it, but depending on which kit you are making, you can always sub out for a different yeast of your choosing. Ferment for 2-3 weeks, bottle and carb for 2-3 weeks, then let it condition for another 2-3 weeks.

Ale yes, I'm from Texas!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #4730
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
How can I tell if the caps are leaking?
With regular glass bottles, I don't know any way to tell if they're leaking until you open them, but it's rare that they leak. In my case, the capper wasn't quite right. I got a new bench capper and never had the problem again.

Quick Reply