Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #4711
trujunglist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Mr. Beer isn't really a 2.5 gallon kit. Don't fill it up with as much wort and you won't have these issues. Same as not filling up a 5 gallon bucket with 5 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #4712
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
hmm, I used 3 lbs Light Malt Syrup and .7 lbs of Wheat DME with no issues in a Beer Machine.
Keep in mind that the Beer Machine is designed for 10 liter (2.64 gallon) batches. The Mr Beer fermenter is designed for 8.5 qt (2.13 gallon) batches.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #4713
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
Keep in mind that the Beer Machine is designed for 10 liter (2.64 gallon) batches. The Mr Beer fermenter is designed for 8.5 qt (2.13 gallon) batches.
I've got my mixed batch in now, Kit plus grain/extract, that I mentioned in above post and today it's been building up some major pressure. The BM has a pressure gauge on it and it's tried to cross 17 psi several times. I've been loosening the cap to release pressure off and on but don't want to leave it open just in case I did get a blow out. Granted I did overfill just a bit but I suspect the difference in this run and the last where I had no pressure issues is all about the yeast. This batch is with their yeast which is very active and fast, remember they say go to the frig after 3-4 days.

Obviously their little pressure gauge isn't going to be the most accurate but I just checked it again and let out most of the pressure then watched it for less than two minutes as it gained an easy 2 psi. That's some hungry yeastie boys (get it)... Very active, 1.5 inches or more or krausen which you can watch churn and this is at 67-68 degrees.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #4714
Doob
Recipes 

My wife wants me to make her the blue patriot recipe. Anyone ever make this and how did you like it??

Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #4715
skidoo2003
Recipes 

I bottled a winter dark ale on 2/10. Tried one today, it has no head. I had a nice crisp sound when I popped the cap, but definitely not carbed enough yet. I only used 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar for priming, I know it was low, but can't change that now. My question is, do I just leave it for another few weeks to see if I get more carbonation or try to shake it up at all to get the yeast going again?

Good news is, it tastes good enough to drink enough tho its not carbed.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #4716
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoo2003 View Post
I bottled a winter dark ale on 2/10. Tried one today, it has no head. I had a nice crisp sound when I popped the cap, but definitely not carbed enough yet. I only used 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar for priming, I know it was low, but can't change that now. My question is, do I just leave it for another few weeks to see if I get more carbonation or try to shake it up at all to get the yeast going again?

Good news is, it tastes good enough to drink enough tho its not carbed.
What size bottles are these? I suspect that the problem is that there isn't enough sugar. The sugar that you added has already been eaten and converted to co2 and alcohol. Waiting longer isn't going to help. Neither is shaking it. There's nothing left foot the yeast to get going on.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #4717
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

What size bottles are these? I suspect that the problem is that there isn't enough sugar. The sugar that you added has already been eaten and converted to co2 and alcohol. Waiting longer isn't going to help. Neither is shaking it. There's nothing left foot the yeast to get going on.
12oz bottles.
So what can I do? Open them and add more sugar or drink them flat? I also have four of them in the plastic liter bottles. I can see how those have carbed. I used 2 teaspoons on those. Am I too low on the priming sugar?

Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #4718
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
12oz bottles.
So what can I do? Open them and add more sugar or drink them flat? I also have four of them in the plastic liter bottles. I can see how those have carbed. I used 2 teaspoons on those. Am I too low on the priming sugar?
Where did you come up with the amounts for the corn sugar?

The Mr beer recommendations are 3/4 tsp for 12 oz bottles and 2 1/2 tsp for 1 liter bottles. I think the Mr beer amounts are on the high side, but those recommendations are for white sugar. You used corn sugar, which is less fermentable.

Your beers aren't uncarbonated, just under carbonated. The larger bottles are probably okay.

You could try opening each bottle, add some sugar and recap, buy there are potential problems with that. For one thing, it's difficult to come up with the right amount to add. The beers have some carbonation, but they lose some when you open the bottle. Also, when you add sugar to beer, you provide a whole bunch of nucleation sites, so you get a lot of foaming. You can try it, but it may not work well. It may work just fine, but remember you'll be resetting the click on the carb phase.

One thing you can do is mix one of these with a beer that is more highly carbonated. I've done that in the past.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #4719
skidoo2003
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

Where did you come up with the amounts for the corn sugar?

The Mr beer recommendations are 3/4 tsp for 12 oz bottles and 2 1/2 tsp for 1 liter bottles. I think the Mr beer amounts are on the high side, but those recommendations are for white sugar. You used corn sugar, which is less fermentable

One thing you can do is mix one of these with a beer that is more highly carbonated. I've done that in the past.
I did quick research for the amount. Don't remember exactly where I came up with it but it was bottling day and I completely forgot about looking into it so I was rushed. Lesson learned.

What is recommended for 12oz bottles with corn sugar. I actually went to a calculator and put in winter ale and 2 gallons and got 0.21 cups (~10 teaspoons?). If 2 gallons makes about 22 bottles, 1/2 teaspoon is about right isn't it? I am ready to bottle my next batch (Oktoberfest) so I want to get this figured out soon. Should I just go 1 teaspoon and hope for no bombs?
Also, is the 2 teaspoons for the liter bottles good? Or should I go 2 1/2?

Good tip on the mixing less carbed with more carbed. I will try that out if I find my liter bottles are carbed well.

Thanks for all of the help so far. I've been learning a ton already with my first three batches and am excited to keep improving!!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #4720
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
I did quick research for the amount. Don't remember exactly where I came up with it but it was bottling day and I completely forgot about looking into it so I was rushed. Lesson learned.

What is recommended for 12oz bottles with corn sugar. I actually went to a calculator and put in winter ale and 2 gallons and got 0.21 cups (~10 teaspoons?). If 2 gallons makes about 22 bottles, 1/2 teaspoon is about right isn't it? I am ready to bottle my next batch (Oktoberfest) so I want to get this figured out soon. Should I just go 1 teaspoon and hope for no bombs?
Also, is the 2 teaspoons for the liter bottles good? Or should I go 2 1/2?

Good tip on the mixing less carbed with more carbed. I will try that out if I find my liter bottles are carbed well.

Thanks for all of the help so far. I've been learning a ton already with my first three batches and am excited to keep improving!!
A full teaspoon could lead to bottle bombs. I mostly keg now and when I bottled, I batch primed by weight, so I kind of forget the details. Your math is right, so if you found someplace that recommended .21 cups for two gallons, that would translate to just more than a half teaspoon per bottle. What temperature were the bottles stored at after bottling? What yeast did you use?

Quick Reply