Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #4701
JBDive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
The recipe called for a 90 minute boil? Did it include a mash with pilsner malt, by any chance? If so, the long boil is to drive off DMS.
yeah several of the Black Butte recipes call for 90 mins.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #4702
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
yeah several of the Black Butte recipes call for 90 mins.
I think you misunderstood what I wanted to know. I probably confused the issue by asking two questions at once, one of which wasn't very important and one of which was important.

I'll ask just the important question this time.

Did the recipe include a mash of pilsner malt?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #4703
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
I think you misunderstood what I wanted to know. I probably confused the issue by asking two questions at once, one of which wasn't very important and one of which was important.

I'll ask just the important question this time.

Did the recipe include a mash of pilsner malt?
No. Variation on this
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/ag-black-butte-porter-clone-confirmation-260600/

and others as well as looking at what is in the Northern Brewers clone kit.

Light Malt Syrup
Mutons Wheat DME

English Choco Malt 350
Pale Choco Malt 200
Carapils
Crystal 80L

Galena
Cascade
Tettnang

I bottled my first run on this today which freed the fermenter to give a go at using the kits again. Sample tasting seemed promising, probably light on hops but I knew that would likely be the case as I didn't want to over hop on my first try so I cut everything back especially Tettnang. So other than the yeast and hops in the Golden Ale kit the actual extract shouldn't be all that far off from just plain light malt syrup.

Last edited by JBDive; 03-04-2013 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added paragraph

Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #4704
dpsimswm
Recipes 

The Mr. BEER lid blew off this morning. I heard hissing coming from the cabinet. Touched the lid and POP. It flew off.

Last night I brewed a batch of all wheat DME with hops and Muntons Ale Yeast. I used 3 pounds of DME for a 2.5 gallon batch. Starting temp was a little high and there was lots of krausen.

Needless to say after the cap blew, wort foamed out all over. I grabbed a food grade bucket, rinsed it and dumped the wort in.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #4705
dpsimswm
Recipes 

Suggestion for Mr. Beer... make the LBK the ideal size for brewing with 3 pound bag of DME. That seems to be a standard size for buying DME. This way, no measurement is needed. It will keep using the kit for small batches and may increase kit sales.

I used too much DME and I think thats why my Mr Beer exploded.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #4706
hillburger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner90 View Post
Going to try a beer this coming Monday that has been bottle conditioning at room temperature for one week. It's the defibrillator dopplebock. Think that is too soon?
Wait a little longer. That is a heavy beer. I tried the DD after 12 days conditioning and it still wasn't ready. This beer needs 3 weeks minimum.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #4707
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsimswm View Post
Suggestion for Mr. Beer... make the LBK the ideal size for brewing with 3 pound bag of DME. That seems to be a standard size for buying DME. This way, no measurement is needed. It will keep using the kit for small batches and may increase kit sales.

I used too much DME and I think thats why my Mr Beer exploded.
hmm, I used 3 lbs Light Malt Syrup and .7 lbs of Wheat DME with no issues in a Beer Machine. Pressure did get up there for a short time but considering the Beer Machine is a two piece system with a gasket it didn't leak anywhere and certainly didn't blow it's top. Yeast maybe, you said it was a touch warm when you put it in I think? I've been making sure to chill to low 60's before adding yeast. Downside is it does take a bit longer for the temp to return so yeast will get going.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4708
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm planning on using 3lbs of DME in each of a few experimental LBK brews...I have an extra o-ring/grommet intended for an airlock. Think I should drill out the top of the Mr. Beer lid for a blowoff tube?

PS: I realize the lid is already vented, but this talk of blowouts has me a little concerned, and I may be able to prevent a bad thing.

Last edited by bobot; 03-04-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added Post Script

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #4709
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Unless you have a truly exceptional amount of krausen, or are really overfilling the LBK, the blowouts are probably due to overtightening the lid.

Ease off, guys- that lid should just barely make contact. If you tighten it too much, you're closing off the vents, and building pressure. This could be dangerous since that container isn't designed to hold it.

Exploding plastic can fly at high speed, and even if you snort derisively at the idea that it's going to cause real harm, consider the much worse implication:
If your LBK blows up, you're going to waste beer!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #4710
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
If your LBK blows up, you're going to waste beer!
NOOOO!!!!!!!!

And I agree, 3lbs of either LME or DME isn't an issue in most cases so don't get hung up on the that piece of the puzzle.

Quick Reply