Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #4691
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
I had already switched to my own recipes or variation of published ones using mixed grains and Dry Malt/Liquid Malt plus mix of hops. ............................

So let's take the Golden Lager that I have. I have no use for that as a beer so the suggestion appears to be to go with a basic recipe and use TBM mix in place of some dry malt extract however a few post back it was stated not to boil TBM mix because of the included hops.
Do as bpgreen suggests. Use a small amount of DME/LME, or mini mash/steep some grain, and do a boil with some hop additions then add the Beer Machine hopped dry malt extract at the end of the boil. That way you won't alter the balance of the beer machine extract part of your total recipe.

you're going to have to adjust hop amounts according to volume of brew and amount of extracts/grains you decide to use in your recipe, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as you've already done a bit of recipe formulation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #4692
NadoHawk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

So I just found my Whispering Wheat.

I want to dry hop the beer, can I just pour the hops (and other ingredients) into the fermentor without worrying about using a cheese cloth, etc. Meaning, will it just settle down into the resevoir without any adverse affects on the final product.

Between Galena, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Zeus, and Millennium pellets and Centennial whole hops, what would be the best choice for dry hopping?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #4693
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive
ok so I'm not going to go through over 100 pages to find this so excuse me up front.

Somewhere I read that you will get a much better beer out of the kit beer packs if you don't do as instructed and just toss the dry kit, yeast and water but go ahead and boil as you would with a normal DME/Mash recipe. Yes, no? If yes do you have a preferred boil time?

Like some others that have posted I'm just starting out although I stopped using the prepacked kits that came with this thing after the first batch of basically dullwiser. I'm about to bottle my Black Butte clone and have several more kits and thought I would go ahead and give it another shot vs. wasting them. Was hoping to bottle tomorrow but looks like I'm still fermenting after 3 weeks and I've keep the temp near perfect the entire time. Other than not drinking more than a few bottles a week so not needing 50 bottles or more taking up space aging the Mr. Beer and clones will fit inside a large cooler allowing you to really keep that temp where you want it no matter if the wife turns up the hear because she is cold plus if you have leakage it's contained.
I didn't read the responses, but you could make a different wort with DME / LME and some hops, then add the Mr B mix at the end so it doesn't change the hops in the LME. It would be tricky to figure out exactly what you are making, though!!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #4694
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
I didn't read the responses, but you could make a different wort with DME / LME and some hops, then add the Mr B mix at the end so it doesn't change the hops in the LME. It would be tricky to figure out exactly what you are making, though!!
That's what I'm thinking of doing. Taking some of my darker grains, add some DME and Cascade/Galena and doing a super mini mash then adding in the Golden Ale to maybe come up with something like a Red but lighter than a Porter. As I said up front anything is better than dullwiser and I might just get lucky with a winner. Will have to be careful on the hops and maybe skip their yeast and go with Safale S-04 Ale Yeast. I've got plenty of dark choc and light choc malt plus Carapils grains from my Black Butte attempt as well as dry LME, weight might be hard to guess on the LME.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #4695
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Taking some of my darker grains, add some DME and Cascade/Galena and doing a super mini mash then adding in the Golden Ale to maybe come up with something like a Red but lighter than a Porter. As I said up front anything is better than dullwiser and I might just get lucky with a winner. Will have to be careful on the hops and maybe skip their yeast and go with Safale S-04 Ale Yeast. I've got plenty of dark choc and light choc malt plus Carapils grains from my Black Butte attempt as well as dry LME, weight might be hard to guess on the LME.
Yes, Sounds like it could be a light porter. Or a brown. If you had some roasted barley it could be an Irish red. In any of those, you could provably rely on the hops that are already in it. In fact, wouldn't a short boil get rid of the aroma? That's a little more true to style for those English styles anyway.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #4696
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Mr. Beer L.B.K. Yeast Amounts

I started brewing with a Mr. Beer, then moved to a 5 gallon extract setup, where I am currently pleased. I would like to use my L.B.K. to ferment smaller, experimental batches. I've been buying 11.5 gram yeast packs for my 5-gallon batches, and am wondering if these would be too much for a 2 gallon batch. Should I try to divide the yeast in half, or should I use it all? If I divide it, does sanitization become an issue for me, holding on to a half-pack of yeast?
For what it's worth, I'll be experimenting with brews with an OG in the neighborhood of 1.05-1.07.
Thanks again, HBT brewers!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #4697
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I started brewing with a Mr. Beer, then moved to a 5 gallon extract setup, where I am currently pleased. I would like to use my L.B.K. to ferment smaller, experimental batches. I've been buying 11.5 gram yeast packs for my 5-gallon batches, and am wondering if these would be too much for a 2 gallon batch. Should I try to divide the yeast in half, or should I use it all? If I divide it, does sanitization become an issue for me, holding on to a half-pack of yeast?
For what it's worth, I'll be experimenting with brews with an OG in the neighborhood of 1.05-1.07.
Thanks again, HBT brewers!
Using the full packet is fine. You can split if you're careful about sanitization. Use half, tape the packet shut and put it in the fridge. Use it within a week. If you won't be using it within a week, just use the whole thing.

Reason: autocorrect

Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #4698
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The test batches will be more like 3 weeks apart, so I'll just pitch the whole packet. Thanks, bpgreen, for the advice!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #4699
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well we shall see. Went with the same recipe I had used for my Black Butte clone except replaced the extract with their Golden Ale kit. Only did a 30 min boil vs 90 as I doubt more time would make a difference then added the Golden Ale and quick chill. Didn't add any hops which may be a good thing as the ale extract smelled pretty hoppy. Went ahead with their yeast, no telling what it is. It's pretty dark but to be expected with the chocolate malts seeped in.

So basically Golden Ale kit in place of Light Malt Syrup and hops (Galena, Cascade and Tettnang) and short boil.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #4700
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
Well we shall see. Went with the same recipe I had used for my Black Butte clone except replaced the extract with their Golden Ale kit. Only did a 30 min boil vs 90 as I doubt more time would make a difference then added the Golden Ale and quick chill. Didn't add any hops which may be a good thing as the ale extract smelled pretty hoppy. Went ahead with their yeast, no telling what it is. It's pretty dark but to be expected with the chocolate malts seeped in.

So basically Golden Ale kit in place of Light Malt Syrup and hops (Galena, Cascade and Tettnang) and short boil.
The recipe called for a 90 minute boil? Did it include a mash with pilsner malt, by any chance? If so, the long boil is to drive off DMS.

Quick Reply