Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #4631
YRNINVegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope16 View Post
Feels good, doesn't it?. Won't be long before you want to get into 5 gallon batches, and kegging, and ......
Mr Beer is a gateway drug.
True Story. My son and I were hooked even before we cracked a bottle out of sheer anticipation. Got a small batch kit and put an Irish Red in the fermenter on Wednesday, and we're going to Kalamazoo to Bell's for their home brew demonstration this Wednesday. Now my wife has watched some youtubes with me and wants to do mead and wine this summer. Yeah, we're bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #4632
baka-san
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope16 View Post
Feels good, doesn't it?. Won't be long before you want to get into 5 gallon batches, and kegging, and ......
Mr Beer is a gateway drug.
Durn tootin!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #4633
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Bottled second batch yesterday, put the first in the fridge after 3 weeks in bottles. Tastes prerry good.
I also went to my local brew shop, guys there are really cool. It was a few minutes after closing time, I called and he said he was cleaning up and I could come in the back. So I picked up a few things and the guy was really cool. Gonna be fun to get a kit and go there for ingredients and learn from all the people around.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #4634
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2005 View Post
If using a bottling bucket, how much priming sugar should I use for one LBK?

Also, how much water should I use to dissolve it in?

I should add that I'm using corn sugar.
Depends on the type of beer, but 2.5 ounces should get you pretty close

Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #4635
Doob
Recipes 

I made my first batch on Feb 9th. I have three mr beer kits. Clearance at target. I scored.
I made the American light and the st Patrick's Irish stout, and added extra malt extract to both for a lil extra funk.
I'm pretty excited. i plan to let the stout set in bottles from the 2nd to the 14th and then fridge it for three days so we can slug it down on st party's.
The light I'm gonna chuck in bottles probably tonight And get it to the fridge on the 28th. Probably drink those march 8, 9 and 10th.

Wish me luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #4636
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doob View Post
I made my first batch on Feb 9th. I have three mr beer kits. Clearance at target. I scored.
I made the American light and the st Patrick's Irish stout, and added extra malt extract to both for a lil extra funk.
I'm pretty excited. i plan to let the stout set in bottles from the 2nd to the 14th and then fridge it for three days so we can slug it down on st party's.
The light I'm gonna chuck in bottles probably tonight And get it to the fridge on the 28th. Probably drink those march 8, 9 and 10th.

Wish me luck.
If you started it on February 9, I'd wait until Saturday (Feb 23) to bottle. I know the instructions say you can bottle after a week, but you'll have better luck if you give it two weeks. Some people wait three.

After that, I'd leave it at room temperature for at least two weeks(longer if you can wait), then put it in the fridge for at least a week.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #4637
Doob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen
If you started it on February 9, I'd wait until Saturday (Feb 23) to bottle. I know the instructions say you can bottle after a week, but you'll have better luck if you give it two weeks. Some people wait three.

After that, I'd leave it at room temperature for at least two weeks(longer if you can wait), then put it in the fridge for at least a week.
Thanks. I knew to take the time with the stout, but with the light we weren't sure. I figured a couple extra days after the in box directions, but I'll take your word for it instead.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #4638
6894Kevin
Recipes 

I put Irish stout in on the 22nd of Jan and have read darker beer takes longer. Any help on when I should bottle? Also I did a pilsner before the stout and the sugar I put into the 12oz bottles settled in the bottom. Is that normal and should I expect it from the stout. Any help or tips welcomed.

Cheers

Kevin

Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #4639
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6894Kevin View Post
I put Irish stout in on the 22nd of Jan and have read darker beer takes longer. Any help on when I should bottle? Also I did a pilsner before the stout and the sugar I put into the 12oz bottles settled in the bottom. Is that normal and should I expect it from the stout. Any help or tips welcomed.

Cheers

Kevin
Two weeks is almost always enough time, three if you want to play it safe. You're at almost 4 weeks, so it has been ready for a while, now.

The stuff on the bottom of the bottles is trub. The yeast ate the sugar and turned it into CO2 (and a small amount of alcohol). Some yeast died, other yeast just went dormant after running out of sugar to eat. The dead and dormant yeast settled to the bottom of the bottle. When you drink it, you want to pour it in a glass, leaving the trub behind. Some people drink the trub, but it can cause problems for many people.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #4640
6894Kevin
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I drank the trub on the bottom with no issues. Should I use the same amount of sugar for the stout? I assume the sugar is measured for the bottle and not the beer but I just want to make sure.

One last thing any tips on sanitizing all the bottles I used for the pilsner. I rinsed each bottle with hot water after emptied but what else should I FO the the bottles.

Quick Reply