*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #4621
Drookit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
There’s a Morebeer article about off flavors: http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors that discusses cidery flavors.

“Cidery
Tastes/Smells Like:
Apple Cider, Wine, Acetaldehyde (apples)
Possible Causes:
Using too much corn or cane sugar is the most common cause for wine or cidery
flavors. Generally, 1lb of sugar per 5 gallon batch is considered the limit before cidery
flavors start developing. Acetaldehyde can also give off a cider-like quality.
How to Avoid:
Try cutting down on the amount of corn or cane sugar being used. Using an alternate
source of fermentable sugar can help to reduce cidery or winey flavors. Dried or Liquid
malt extract will not give off any cider flavors. Honey is another good substitution as
it is almost fully fermentable but it will leave a slight to strong honey aroma and taste
depending on how much is used. If the cause is the yeast rather than cane or corn
sugar, lagering may help cidery flavors to dissipate over time.”
Tastes like cider and smells like cider before adding any sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #4622
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drookit View Post
Tastes like cider and smells like cider before adding any sugar.
The BYO info is referring to sugar used in the boil - not the priming sugar. Did you use a lot of sugar in the boil?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #4623
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealia View Post
Some of the 'basic' refills do come across a bit thin and cidery but with aging they ten to get rid of that. The more 'advanced' recipes/refills contain more malt extract and if fermented correctly don't have that same cidery tone to them.

Don't be surprised if you need to condition for up to 6 weeks (warm) before chilling them to get them where you like them.
Quoting myself

Really it's a matter of a 'thin' beer which is what the basic MrB kits are. Don;t get me wrong, their advanced recipes and refills are good, just don't expect much in terms of mouthfeel and malty flavors from the basic kits. They are there to ease you into things and teach you how to brew (i.e. the process).

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #4624
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealia View Post

Quoting myself

Really it's a matter of a 'thin' beer which is what the basic MrB kits are. Don;t get me wrong, their advanced recipes and refills are good, just don't expect much in terms of mouthfeel and malty flavors from the basic kits. They are there to ease you into things and teach you how to brew (i.e. the process).
+1 I look at it as a stepping stone more than anything. I did learn from using it but at the point im at now with all grain I know id never be ok with spending that much on a 2 gallon refill when I can do more and better quality all grain. The couple friends ive got into brewing I usually tell them get the basic set, brew about 3-4 batches and if your comfortable move up to a new setup

Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #4625
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I brewed a batch of MB mexican cerveza back in early-December. I did not add any sugar, just 1 lb of light DME. I left it in the keg almost 5 weeks and then bottled with table sugar. I just opened my first one (after 2 weeks of carbing and 4 days cold conditioning) last night. BAM major cider taste. I'm thinking/hoping the one I opened was the last one filled and maybe I just got some trub in it; otherwise I may dump the batch. It was not bad but definitely not good either.

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #4626
Drookit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
The BYO info is referring to sugar used in the boil - not the priming sugar. Did you use a lot of sugar in the boil?

The 3 MRB kits I've used so far didn't call for sugar in the boil.

So I thought we were talking about priming sugar.

Sorry for the confusion.............

Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #4627
Drookit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmikey View Post
I brewed a batch of MB mexican cerveza back in early-December. I did not add any sugar, just 1 lb of light DME. I left it in the keg almost 5 weeks and then bottled with table sugar. I just opened my first one (after 2 weeks of carbing and 4 days cold conditioning) last night. BAM major cider taste. I'm thinking/hoping the one I opened was the last one filled and maybe I just got some trub in it; otherwise I may dump the batch. It was not bad but definitely not good either.
I started marking my last few bottles filled so I can see if there is a difference in the batch between bottles.

It's gonna suck if my St Pat's Stout fermenting now ends up being a St Pat's Cider.

Don't dump, see if it'll age out.

Last edited by Drookit; 02-14-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: addedto post

Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #4628
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmikey View Post
There's your likely problem assuming no fermentation issues. Walk away for another two weeks and then put one in the fridge to see the difference.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #4629
baka-san
Recipes 

first post on site...

Well, I put stuff in the mr beer i got for Christmas, and today uncapped the first bottle...

It's beer!!!!!

Needs to sit another week or so, but it's beer.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #4630
abandonhope16
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Feels good, doesn't it?. Won't be long before you want to get into 5 gallon batches, and kegging, and ......
Mr Beer is a gateway drug.

Quick Reply