Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #4561
azmark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillburger View Post
Tried my first beer (Classic American Light) after following the 2-2-2. I was disgusted. There is a very strong bread or yeast flavor in the beer. I tried to like it but it was undrinkable. Had to pour it down the drain. I'm not sure what I did wrong, followed instructions precisely. Anyone else have a strong yeast taste problem?
How much trub did you dredge up when you bottled? How long did you leave them in the fridge? How did you pour/drink the beer?

If you just tasted the last bottle you bottled on botteling day, it could have been much yeastier than the rest.

A week in the fridge will allow most all of the yeast to settle out.

If you drank out of the bottle, poured in a glass glugging all the way down to the last drop, or did multiple pours out of the same bottle, you just stirred up everything that settled out during conditioning and fridging. Bottle conditioned beers require gentle handeling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4562
hillburger
Recipes 

I'm hearing more and more that I need to give it more time. I wasn't keeping track of what bottle was last/first. Poured in a glass, the trub stayed at the bottom of the bottle.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #4563
Drookit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

5 Days in to cold conditioning in the fridge, I cracked one open.

Not the worst beer I've had but,

There was some sugar remaining in the bottom of the bottle.

Taste confirmed it was sugar.

The beer was carbonated. I was careful on putting the sugar that was called for.

I fermented 2 week, conditioned in the bottle at room temp for 1 week.

So, what'd I do wrong?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #4564
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1071 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drookit View Post
5 Days in to cold conditioning in the fridge, I cracked one open.

Not the worst beer I've had but,

There was some sugar remaining in the bottom of the bottle.

Taste confirmed it was sugar.

The beer was carbonated. I was careful on putting the sugar that was called for.

I fermented 2 week, conditioned in the bottle at room temp for 1 week.

So, what'd I do wrong?
Sometimes it takes up to 3 weeks or more at 70f to carb. Remove them from the fridge, gently roll them to kick up the yeast, and leave them until the bottles are rock hard (if you use the plastic bottles) before sticking in the fridge.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #4565
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I'm pretty happy. I found a thermometer and put it with my fermenter; it is 72 in there and stable, so should be pretty good right? I just guessed at a good place in my apartment, hoped the closet would work, seems I made a good choice. The stick-on indicator from MrBeer said it was good, but I'm glad to know more precisely what the temp is.

Also, I bottled mine after 3 weeks, been bottled a week since then. Most of it is in Grolsch bottles, but I used two plastic ones from the kit. They are already very hard, so carbing is working and there is not much sugar left in the bottle, not much of anything in the bottom, actually. I put one in the fridge, really want to taste it. I have my second kit brewing already and found my HBS very close to home which has lots of recipes, seems like a lot of good ingredients, and nice people who do regular classes on home brewing. So I figured what is one bottle gone if I don't like it, and tasting the beer at different stages will be a good learning experience, right?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #4566
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
I'm pretty happy. I found a thermometer and put it with my fermenter; it is 72 in there and stable, so should be pretty good right? I just guessed at a good place in my apartment, hoped the closet would work, seems I made a good choice. The stick-on indicator from MrBeer said it was good, but I'm glad to know more precisely what the temp is.

Also, I bottled mine after 3 weeks, been bottled a week since then. Most of it is in Grolsch bottles, but I used two plastic ones from the kit. They are already very hard, so carbing is working and there is not much sugar left in the bottle, not much of anything in the bottom, actually. I put one in the fridge, really want to taste it. I have my second kit brewing already and found my HBS very close to home which has lots of recipes, seems like a lot of good ingredients, and nice people who do regular classes on home brewing. So I figured what is one bottle gone if I don't like it, and tasting the beer at different stages will be a good learning experience, right?
Yeah I would taste it, it will show you how aging properly makes such a difference.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #4567
bzwyatt
Recipes 

It is kinda like apple cider. Only been carbing a week, fermented 3, I don't expect it to be done, but any specific and obvious reason it would taste that way?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #4568
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
It is kinda like apple cider. Only been carbing a week, fermented 3, I don't expect it to be done, but any specific and obvious reason it would taste that way?
It's not ready yet. Give it a few more weeks at room temperature, then a week or two in the fridge.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #4569
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Cool. I've read the threads about giving it time, but it is hard to think it will change so much just from... doing nothing and letting it sit. I guess it isn't 'nothing' happening in the bottle. And it seems weird the MrB instructions make it seem like such a quick process. So many people must be turned off just because they follow bad instructions, basically.
So the flavor at this stage is normal? It doesn't mean it won't ever taste like beer, or will always have some off flavor?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #4570
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Cool. I've read the threads about giving it time, but it is hard to think it will change so much just from... doing nothing and letting it sit. I guess it isn't 'nothing' happening in the bottle. And it seems weird the MrB instructions make it seem like such a quick process. So many people must be turned off just because they follow bad instructions, basically.
So the flavor at this stage is normal? It doesn't mean it won't ever taste like beer, or will always have some off flavor?
Many, if not most, of flavors fade, then disappear with conditioning. The cider flavor is one that will go away completely.

The yeast in the bottle is still alive and will continue reading things, changing them into other things. First, they eat the sugar, turning it into alcohol and co2. They also produce things like acetaldehyde. That's the compound that tastes like apple cider. When the sugar is gone, they'll go after the acetaldehyde.

Quick Reply