Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #4531
Randolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Okay fellow Mr. Beer users.I want to brew the old Mr. Beer Abbey Dubbel. I have the LME,hops,brown sugar,wheat yeast etc.My question is ,I bought some dark Belgain candi-sugar "Rocks". IYHO,do you think this will make a difference in this recipe? If so,How much should I use for a 2.13 gal. batch?AND when should I add it. I'm sure some of you Mr. B vets have tried this recipe.Your expertise will be honored.TIA....Randolf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #4532
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

how can you tell when its carbed enough? not all of mine carbed the same amount and when the one i was feeling, felt ready. Then i put them into the fridge. Apparently though, it isnt carbed enough... I cracked one open after 1 week in the fridge, and it tasted like flat beer. And two other people tried it and said it needs more carbonation.
Is there any way to let them continue carbing after 1 week in the fridge. OR should I just down the batch??

(I let them carb for like 1-2 weeks) Closer to 2 weeks

Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #4533
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVanO View Post
how can you tell when its carbed enough? not all of mine carbed the same amount and when the one i was feeling, felt ready. Then i put them into the fridge. Apparently though, it isnt carbed enough... I cracked one open after 1 week in the fridge, and it tasted like flat beer. And two other people tried it and said it needs more carbonation.
Is there any way to let them continue carbing after 1 week in the fridge. OR should I just down the batch??

(I let them carb for like 1-2 weeks) Closer to 2 weeks
If you take them out of the fridge and let them warm up to room temp, the yeast will get back to work.

Two weeks should usually be plenty of time to carb. What temperature is the room where you're letting the beer sit to carbonate?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #4534
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen View Post
If you take them out of the fridge and let them warm up to room temp, the yeast will get back to work.

Two weeks should usually be plenty of time to carb. What temperature is the room where you're letting the beer sit to carbonate?
the room is 67*. Its the same temp that my meads and hard ciders ferment in, and I havent had any issues.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #4535
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
the room is 67*. Its the same temp that my meads and hard ciders ferment in, and I havent had any issues.
I would think that should have been enough time for them to carb, but take them out, give them a week or two at room temp. If they are still flat at that point, its likely that there's a slight leak. Sometimes, the caps need to be replaced.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #4536
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I would think that should have been enough time for them to carb, but take them out, give them a week or two at room temp. If they are still flat at that point, its likely that there's a slight leak. Sometimes, the caps need to be replaced.
its my first batch with the caps...unless they sent them to me wrong. Its the ones from the Mr Beer kit.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #4537
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
its my first batch with the caps...unless they sent them to me wrong. Its the ones from the Mr Beer kit.
If they're new, that's not the problem. It's possible they're not sealed quite right (sometimes the little ring can cause problems). But my guess I'd that if you give them more time at room temperature, you'll be fine.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #4538
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Going to try my very first batch of homebrew this Saturday. Going to put 6 bottles in the fridge on Friday. Fermented for two weeks and conditioned for two weeks. Classic American Light.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #4539
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner90 View Post
Going to try my very first batch of homebrew this Saturday. Going to put 6 bottles in the fridge on Friday. Fermented for two weeks and conditioned for two weeks. Classic American Light.
It will probably be okay to have one of those on Saturday, but it might be a bit "green" still. If you can wait, give them more time. With bottles, I tend to warm condition (room temp) for a couple of months and cold condition (fridge) for a couple of weeks. Of course, that's easier to do when you've got a few hundred bottles in the pipeline. When you've just got a few, it's a lot harder to wait.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #4540
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Quote:
It will probably be okay to have one of those on Saturday, but it might be a bit "green" still. If you can wait, give them more time. With bottles, I tend to warm condition (room temp) for a couple of months and cold condition (fridge) for a couple of weeks. Of course, that's easier to do when you've got a few hundred bottles in the pipeline. When you've just got a few, it's a lot harder to wait.
I have a total of 21 12oz bottles, so I will let the remaining 15 warm condition. Does "green" mean not very carbonated? Not much taste?

Quick Reply