HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #4521
6894Kevin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How cold is to cold when brewing. I started a batch of stout a few days ago and put if in a closet. We had a cold snap in SC and when I checked on it yesterday it was around 60 degrees in the closet. Is that going to make it s bad batch??? I removed it from the closet to a warmer area. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #4522
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6894Kevin View Post
How cold is to cold when brewing. I started a batch of stout a few days ago and put if in a closet. We had a cold snap in SC and when I checked on it yesterday it was around 60 degrees in the closet. Is that going to make it s bad batch??? I removed it from the closet to a warmer area. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin
Each yeast had a temperature rang where it performs best. In general, temperatures that are too warm can lead to off flavors. At cooler temperatures, the year will slow down and if it gets cool enough, will stop. If this happens, warming it up will generally wake the yeast again. Sometimes, especially with highly flocculant yeast, all the year will drop out and you'll need to gently rock the fermenter to get some yeast back into suspension.

If the closet temperature was 60 and the yeast was already fermenting, the temperature in the fermenter will probably be closer to 65.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #4523
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I bottled my first batch yesterday, started my second when I had cleaned my keg. I checked it just now, 22 hours after I pitched, and there is A LOT of foam at the top. It looks great, and like shots of glass carboys I've seen, but I don't remember my first keg ever having this much foam, any time I looked at it. It wasn't as active until the second day either.
Can lots of foam be a bad sign, or a good one? Any common reasons my first batch didn't seem so active, especially so early?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #4524
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
I bottled my first batch yesterday, started my second when I had cleaned my keg. I checked it just now, 22 hours after I pitched, and there is A LOT of foam at the top. It looks great, and like shots of glass carboys I've seen, but I don't remember my first keg ever having this much foam, any time I looked at it. It wasn't as active until the second day either.
Can lots of foam be a bad sign, or a good one? Any common reasons my first batch didn't seem so active, especially so early?

Different batches ferment differently. More viable yeast, more optimal temperatures, better station can all lead to more vigorous fermentation. A lack of krausen isn't necessarily a bad thing. If a layer of trub forms, fermentation n is happening.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #4525
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Cool,thanks for reply. Yes, there is more trub than last time too (the stuff on the bottom is called trub all the time, at any stage in the process?). I tasted my last batch and it was fine, I think everything went fine. This one is just going quicker.
I didn't spend a lot of time washing the keg, just used hot water and then sanitzed. Maybe a bad assumption, but I figured it couldn't be that dirty and only with the same stuff that was going to go in it... could stuff from the last batch cause issues?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #4526
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
Cool,thanks for reply. Yes, there is more trub than last time too (the stuff on the bottom is called trub all the time, at any stage in the process?). I tasted my last batch and it was fine, I think everything went fine. This one is just going quicker.
I didn't spend a lot of time washing the keg, just used hot water and then sanitzed. Maybe a bad assumption, but I figured it couldn't be that dirty and only with the same stuff that was going to go in it... could stuff from the last batch cause issues?
Could stuff from the last batch cause problems?

Yes.

You need to thoroughly clean between batches (including taking the spigot apart). You also need to sanitize.

That's not to say that this batch is bad, but cleaning and sanitizing are key to good beer.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #4527
bsfire
Recipes 

I really want clear bottles will this affect my beer taste?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #4528
Channel66
error 404 channel not found
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1047 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Clear bottle will GREATLY increase the likely hood of hops skunking. Light greatly degrades hops and skunks the beer in turn. If you are super careful to keep the bottles completely dark, clear is... ok. But the likelihood that you will have skunked beer is hugely increased.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #4529
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfire View Post
I have a couple cases of clear swingtops in my supply of bottles, when they are filled I make sure they are stored in the case and in a dark place (under sink or cabinet) and place several in the fridge. The ones that are refrigerated never last more than a week and I havent had probs. Just be careful about where you keep them.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #4530
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfire View Post

Brewing since '08
1-85) - Gone
86) Sumerian Beer - drinking
87) Olde Style Porter - carbonating
88) Chocolate Bock - on deck

Quick Reply