Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #4501
bchurch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2005 View Post

I still need help with this.
Google tastybrew, they have a priming calculator.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #4502
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4251 Times on 3097 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2005 View Post
I still need help with this.
If you'd use 5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch, you'd use 2 ounces in a 2 gallon batch. (1 ounce per gallon of finished beer).
S2005 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #4503
S2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Thank you Yooper!

Past: Blueberry Honey Wheat, MR.B Mexican Cerveza & Czech Rep. Pils

Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #4504
bigtuna101
Recipes 

Quick question? In the mr beer instructions it says use "refrigerated" water to top of the fermenter. My problem is I am making 4 different two gallon batches and there is no way I refrigerate that water at once. Can I move forward with room temp (66 degrees) spring water? Is it just so I don't dump the yeast in while its to hot? A quick reply would be so thankful!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #4505
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna101 View Post
Quick question? In the mr beer instructions it says use "refrigerated" water to top of the fermenter. My problem is I am making 4 different two gallon batches and there is no way I refrigerate that water at once. Can I move forward with room temp (66 degrees) spring water? Is it just so I don't dump the yeast in while its to hot? A quick reply would be so thankful!
Topping it off with cold water brings the temperature down quickly so you can add the year. You generally don't want it sitting around a long time before adding the yeast because that increases the chances for infection.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #4506
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
In the mr beer instructions it says use "refrigerated" water to top of the fermenter. .................................................. ............... Can I move forward with room temp (66 degrees) spring water? Is it just so I don't dump the yeast in while its to hot? A quick reply would be so thankful!
Yes, using cooled water to top off is essentially just to help you get the wort down to reasonable pitching temps quickly, as most new brewers don't have wort chillers to help in that department.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #4507
bigtuna101
Recipes 

Thanks gang I guessed right and just let it cool a little lid on extra sanitized for 15 min before yeast. Question ever mix yeast strains for new favors? Sorry prob noob question. Or do u stay with a single strain no matter what?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #4508
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Question ever mix yeast strains for new favors? Sorry prob noob question. Or do u stay with a single strain no matter what?

When I first started doing Mr. Beer kits I used to chuck in the Mr.Beer yeast along with the pack of Safale S-04 just for good measure. I think in that type of scenario the greater volume of S-04 would have been the dominant strain, as far as flavours, aromas and whatnot, and the lesser volume of Mr.Beer yeast probably wouldn't have managed to contribute much, if anything, in those departments, other than just being there at the party.

After a few brews like this I eventually realized that one pack of the Safale (11.5g) was more than enough for a healthy fermentation and that I was probably better chucking the Mr. Beer yeast into the boil at the last 5 to 10 minutes so that it'd become a yeast nutrient for the S-04.

Never really thought about using two different good strains of yeast to mix and pitch, as it just makes things more expensive, but I suppose it is plausible. Might have to be careful in selecting which ones to combine.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #4509
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thanks gang I guessed right and just let it cool a little lid on extra sanitized for 15 min before yeast. Question ever mix yeast strains for new favors? Sorry prob noob question. Or do u stay with a single strain no matter what?
I generally use one strains of yeast, based on the type of beer I'm brewing. The are yeasts available commercially that are mixes of different strains, so it's definitely something that can be done. My preference (and this is just me) is to let the malt and hops drive the flavor, so I generally use yeasts that are "clean fermenting" yeasts.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #4510
bigtuna101
Recipes 

Well here is what happened, I made 4 two gallon batches and most of them where recipes that I got off the mr beer web site. Most I used two different cans of HME etc. and each can with its own yeast pack. Both different based on the small number print on the back of the foil packet. All where gold except a couple. Any way I used the yeast packet that came with the craft series HME. Then as I am on the third batch I realized the recipes asked for both packets of yeast under each HME. Well at this point I had them mixed together and could no longer tell what second yeast pack would go to what recipe. So I went on the web site looked up the yeast they sell and it is not possible to match back what goes to what HME can. The only info on the foil packs is a number like "brewers yeast 2045" and no reference to that number on the web site. So I took a gamble and made my best bet what pack went to what batch, basically could really only remember what batch was to get the silver pack and the other three got a random gold second pack. So unless I am incredibly lucky there is now a different second yeast strain in at least one or two if not all of the other three batches. My guess is t will be fine and just effect the flavor based on what the recipe intended but hopefully in a good way. What does the panel think will happen? I just spent over a hundred and 50 bucks on these, soft packs, hops, boosters etc. hoping for he best.

Quick Reply