Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #4471
ratracer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

I'd sanitize the spigot and bottle what's still in the LBK.

For future reference, it's a good idea to fill it with water and check for leaks before filling it with wort.
Thx Ill definatly double check next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #4472
Jahernandez87
Recipes 

Default (new-guy)Mr beer Bottleing

I have a question, I am VERY new to this I literally started a batch last night. So far so good but my question is that I have seen someone instead of adding sugar to the individual bottles he added sugar the the keg and then he bottled them. I was wondering if anyone have done this or recommends this. Also tips on sanitizing the equipment with out having to use the no rinse stuff the provide. I also did not get a booster.. Do I need that? Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #4473
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahernandez87 View Post
I have a question, I am VERY new to this I literally started a batch last night. So far so good but my question is that I have seen someone instead of adding sugar to the individual bottles he added sugar the the keg and then he bottled them. I was wondering if anyone have done this or recommends this. Also tips on sanitizing the equipment with out having to use the no rinse stuff the provide. I also did not get a booster.. Do I need that? Thanks
I'm gonna answer your questions in reverse.

No you do not need booster. That was an additive that was used when the cans of malt were smaller.

You should use some sort of sanitizer on your equipment. (And that is separate from cleaning the equipment.) If you have a local beer store a more popular no rinse sanitizer is Star San.

You are asking about "batch priming" vs "bottle priming". Bottle priming is a simple but time consuming way to add the sugar to your beer for carbonation. Batch priming actually involves "racking" (transferring) the beer to a clean and sanitized secondary container to add the sugar (usually sugar boiled in 1-2 cups of water) so you do not mix the trub (stuff at the bottom of the keg) into your fairly clear beer.

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #4474
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Adding sugar all at once is called batch priming. I wouldn't recommend adding it to the fermenter. Instead, get another container. Another LBK works, as does a container called a slimline (available at Walmart). Add the sugar (I think I used 60 grams for a Mr beer sized batch) to about a cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Pour that into the priming container and transfer the beer into the container. I used a tube for that in order to reduce aeration.

There are other sanitizers available. I like star San, but many use iodophor.

Booster used to come with standard refills, but the new refills have larger cans of HME.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #4475
Jahernandez87
Recipes 

Ok cool, I was a little worried because I felt that some items were missing. Well since this is my fist batch ever I will just add the sugar to the individual bottles.. Now as for cleaning my keg and supplies after use, what do y'all recommend?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #4476
Jahernandez87
Recipes 

Another question, can we use the Mr Beer keg for other beers or other malts, that are not from Mr Beer?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #4477
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Ok cool, I was a little worried because I felt that some items were missing. Well since this is my fist batch ever I will just add the sugar to the individual bottles.. Now as for cleaning my keg and supplies after use, what do y'all recommend?
I generally use Oxiclean free (make sure it's the unscented one).

There's a similar product called Sun Oxygen cleaner that I've used, also. Sometimes the dollar store will have something called LA totally awesome oxygen cleaner. But that doesn't seem to dissolve as well. It's also more expensive on a per unit basis.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #4478
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Another question, can we use the Mr Beer keg for other beers or other malts, that are not from Mr Beer?
Yes.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #4479
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Yes, my local LHBS sells brewferm which makes 9qt batches. They are usually better quality and higher abv if u are looking for that kind of thing.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #4480
Drookit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Guys,

Tuesday I'll be @ two weeks in. I'm starting to think about the next steps, which has led to a question.

Priming sugar. If I sanitize everything, funnel, measing spoon, etc....., the sugar is going to stick to those items. Right?

Is this going to be a problem getting the right amount of sugar in each bottle, or am I over thinking things?

Or?

I know, stupid rookie question, but having lost the first batch, I'd REALLY like to have some drinkable in the second batch.

Thanks!

Ken

Quick Reply