Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #4461
Stigy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
My LBK is at two weeks tonight. I plan to bottle next Thursday, but I want to taste it tonight, sorta help me wait, with a little sip...

Can I infect the beer by opening the spigot? How much does moving the keg around hurt things? Should I be S U P E R careful to not stir anything up?
Honestly if you open the spigot to take a sample you'll be fine. I do it to take FG readings once or twice before I start to bottle anyway.

At two weeks the main yeast activity is definitely done so stirring it up will only disturb the trub at the bottom, but you should be fine honestly. Just be careful.

Good luck!

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #4462
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
My LBK is at two weeks tonight. I plan to bottle next Thursday, but I want to taste it tonight, sorta help me wait, with a little sip...

Can I infect the beer by opening the spigot? How much does moving the keg around hurt things? Should I be S U P E R careful to not stir anything up?
Nah, you're fine. I take 3 or 4 2oz samples here and there. If you have some extra sanitizer around though it wouldn't hurt to spritz the nozzle before and after you do.

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #4463
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Just got finished bottling my first ever brew! Got 21 bottles of classic American light. It was the 18th day from brew day. My very last bottle was quite cloudy. Will this clear up during priming?

@kentuckeye

Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #4464
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It will settle out during conditioning.
Priming was done when you added sugar before bottling.

Keg #1: Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #4465
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner90 View Post
Just got finished bottling my first ever brew! Got 21 bottles of classic American light. It was the 18th day from brew day. My very last bottle was quite cloudy. Will this clear up during priming?
Mine was the same way, very cloudy, mostly because i tried to make sure that last bottle was full. It settled after a week or so, and was the first beer I tried. Don't rush it. It wasn't very good! Two more weeks and the next bottle was much better! but still not great! Reminds me of some of the cheap canned stuff. Drinkable but leaves you wanting something better!

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #4466
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain
It will settle out during conditioning.
Priming was done when you added sugar before bottling.
Oh. I thought priming is the two weeks immediately following bottling day while it is sitting in the same room I had it fermenting in. I thought conditioning is the next two weeks sitting in the fridge. Am I totally off?

@kentuckeye

Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #4467
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Well if I remember in MrB instructions it kinda does sound like priming is a stage and "cold conditioning" or bottle conditioning is next. Just kinda like they wanna intro you to the terms but not lol. Dont worry as you get sucked into this hobby/obsession and read books and here that stuff will come along in time.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #4468
ratracer
Recipes 

Just looked at first batch this morn 2 wks tomorrow. It looks like the spigot leaked. Beer in ice chest is about the same level as what's in the lbk. Should I go ahead and bottle what's left in there?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #4469
IronEagle
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post

It is a bit on the cool side and, although your beer will carbonate eventually, it'll take much, MUCH, longer than it would at 70*f. Even at 70*f you're, on the whole, looking at about three weeks before putting some beers in the fridge for a few days to chill a bit and absorb more of the CO2 into solution before opening and enjoying.
Moved bottles downstairs yesterday where it is 70-72. Will they be ready sooner?

"Knowledge is Power"

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: None
Bottling: None
Future Plans: St Patricks

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #4470
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratracer View Post
Just looked at first batch this morn 2 wks tomorrow. It looks like the spigot leaked. Beer in ice chest is about the same level as what's in the lbk. Should I go ahead and bottle what's left in there?
I'd sanitize the spigot and bottle what's still in the LBK.

For future reference, it's a good idea to fill it with water and check for leaks before filling it with wort.

Quick Reply