Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #4391
IronEagle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Been fermenting for two weeks this Friday, sampled it last Friday and it tasted like flat beer. Will if be fine to go ahead and bottle this week or should I let it sit another week?

"Knowledge is Power"

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: None
Bottling: None
Future Plans: St Patricks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #4392
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle View Post
Been fermenting for two weeks this Friday, sampled it last Friday and it tasted like flat beer. Will if be fine to go ahead and bottle this week or should I let it sit another week?
IronEagle...do you have a hydrometer? Its the best way to tell if your ready to bottle. Once you get the same hydrometer reading 3 days in a row you can be sure.

That being said, after 2 weeks you're probably OK. IMHO, you'll get better beer if you wait a third week before you bottle.

BTW, congrats..you made beer

Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #4393
IronEagle
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehardt View Post

IronEagle...do you have a hydrometer? Its the best way to tell if your ready to bottle. Once you get the same hydrometer reading 3 days in a row you can be sure.

That being said, after 2 weeks you're probably OK. IMHO, you'll get better beer if you wait a third week before you bottle.

BTW, congrats..you made beer
No I don't have one. I noticed earlier that there is still a little bubbling action going on. Lots of sediment at the bottom and some bubbles and such at the top.

"Knowledge is Power"

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: None
Bottling: None
Future Plans: St Patricks

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #4394
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle
I think one of the reasons that the Mr. Beer instructions suggest you primary for three weeks in the LBK is because they assume that most beginners don't have a hydrometer and, generally, three weeks "should" see fermentation reach its conclusion, so giving it another week can only help your cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCeltics
To put you at ease, yes it was sarcasm.
No!!! Really????

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #4395
bigtuna101
Recipes 

I pitched (still working on all vernacular but I think this means put yeast in) Friday last week on my first attempt at brewing and followed the mr beer directions to the tee.

I was a freak about sanitation. Being a self proclaimed incredible chef I am already very aware of sanitation and cross contamination, the adjustment to this next level of sanitation was not a huge leap for me.

I used no "extras" in my brew just one can of HME, mr. Beer devil IPA.

Well I realize it has only been about 5 days of fermentation but the process looks complete.

The morning after I pitched I inspected and saw that the yeast had colonized quickly and the tell tale signs of happy yeast where present. Lots of bubbling etc.

By the second night the yeast was dominating the environment.

Over the next three days the bubbling slowly stopped and the brew began to clear some. Sediments are gently laying on the bottom and only a hand full of yeast mats remain floating at the top.

At this point it looks like it is ran through the process so tonight I decided to have a taste as i have no hydrometer (yet .

Well I don't what happened, I knew it all seemed to easy, but some how some way it came out fantastic lol

Flat of course and not a very heavy IPA etc. but great flavor and like I had hoped! It's beer!!

Of course I will wait another week or so prior to the secondary phase, not out of the woods yet one more round of freakish sanitation to go but I am feeling confident now.

So confident in fact and having so much fun my poor credit card just took a beating today as I bought all kinds of stuff off the mr. Beer website.

After all the reading and information on this forum I was shopping like a pro lol.

I spent some time reading various mr. Beer recipes requiring double the HME in many cases and ended buying several recipes worth of refills, hydro meter, 24 more bottles, booster, several hops pellets, several strains of yeast, 3 more 2.5 gallon tanks, various boosters and rise free sanitation.

$200 later I guess u can say I went a little crazy lol.

Anyway I wanted thank those who took the time to answer my many questions, thanks so much!

Cheers!!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #4396
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehardt View Post
I've started brewing recently with the Mr. Beer I got for Christmas (the one with bottles and two cans of HME) plus another unused basic one that I picked up from a co-worker whose husband thought it would be too much work. So, I've got two LBKs in primary right now. I took OG readings on both. Temp is set at 67.5F.

Steve's advice is 100% correct if you want to be sure fermentation is complete. The problem that arises with taking 3 samples to check for FG out of a LBK is that you end up making a serious dent in your 2-gallon beer volume. My hydrometer test jar is a pretty decent size and I'd rather be putting more beer in the bottles to carb/condition than running multiple samples.

The best thing I can figure to do is let it spend about 15-20 days in primary (regardless of diminished visible surface activity), take a sample for FG and compare it to the OG to confirm that you reached close to your expected ABV and didn't have a stuck fermentation. Taste it to see if it tastes like flat beer. If it's all good, transfer to the bottling bucket, batch it, go for the next stage and get ready to brew another recipe.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #4397
nab911
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post

Steve's advice is 100% correct if you want to be sure fermentation is complete. The problem that arises with taking 3 samples to check for FG out of a LBK is that you end up making a serious dent in your 2-gallon beer volume. My hydrometer test jar is a pretty decent size and I'd rather be putting more beer in the bottles to carb/condition than running multiple samples.
If you sanitize your hydrometer, container and sample taker before pulling the sample, you can add the sample back to your wort without any worry.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #4398
RagingBull
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I've started brewing recently with the Mr. Beer I got for Christmas (the one with bottles and two cans of HME) plus another unused basic one that I picked up from a co-worker whose husband thought it would be too much work. So, I've got two LBKs in primary right now. I took OG readings on both. Temp is set at 67.5F.

The best thing I can figure to do is let it spend about 15-20 days in primary (regardless of diminished visible surface activity), take a sample for FG and compare it to the OG to confirm that you reached close to your expected ABV and didn't have a stuck fermentation. Taste it to see if it tastes like flat beer. If it's all good, transfer to the bottling bucket, batch it, go for the next stage and get ready to brew another recipe.
I used to hydro the h*ll out of my MB recipes, but I realized unless I added a lot of adjuncts or stuff to the basic recipe that by three weeks it is done. Now I take a hydro sample atht he beginning, wait til at least two weeks has past, take another to determine what my final ABV is going to be and if it didn't look right, maybe a third at three weeks just to be sure (don't want any bottle bombs going off in the closet. 3- weeks fermenter, min. 4 weeks bottling/conditioning seems to work fine. Some of the heavier ABV beers, I condition longer.

Carbonating/Conditioning:Chocolate Porter, Old Devil Nut Brown Ale, Cape Fear Pale Ale Classic American Light1776 Lager
Fermenting: Diablo IPA, Black Forest Stout, Hellfire Red Ale
On Deck: Bewitched Amber Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #4399
muleskinner90
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm a noob. What about using a "wine thief"? That way you can put the sample right back into 2 gal fermenter.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #4400
muleskinner90
Recipes 

This coming Monday is my two week mark from pitching the yeast in my Mr. Beer kit that I got for Christmas. It also is the two week mark for my Northern Brewer 1 gal kit. Both are my first attempts at homebrewing. I'm thinking about bottling the Mr. Beer this Monday and waiting one more week on the NB. The Mr. Beer is the American Light LME. The NB is the Irish Red Ale. Suggestions? Thanks. This place is awesome!

Quick Reply