Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #4221
GeorgiaTiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Is your air lock bubbling? That looks like fermentation to me unless you just shook the carboy up.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #4222
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Wait, no airlock in Mr. Beer...still looks like fermentation. Looks a lot like mine looked (I made the same kit brew).

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #4223
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post

I made the "Classic American Light" recipe that came with my kit - low ABV and low IBU, but seems like its a good start to this whole thing.

So quick update for tonight - just want to confirm what I am seeing is actually fermentation. See the picture below. Also my closet is 71.4° so temperature is awesome in there.
Yup it is fermenting. That is the krausen that you see on the top.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #4224
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
Yup it is fermenting. That is the krausen that you see on the top.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #4225
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaworm69 View Post
I bought one, just to give it a shot. 2 LBK's fit in my mini fridge just right, but finally getting cool enough here to ferment outside the fridge,,,,so this will also give me enough for 3 batches going at once.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #4226
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Been saving the Mr Beer spring special from last spring, the Imperial Lager and have finally gotten it in the keg. I found instructions on the Mr Beer forum for it since it didnt come with anything and I really wanted to do a true lager if possible, not just follow the generic Mr B instructions. So far, so good. Sitting in the bottom of the refrigerator, where it will sit for another 2 weeks before a 3-day d-rest, then some more time in the 'fridge before bottling, then should be ready by spring. No wonder I stay with ales. I dont have the patience for this stuff.

Beer, beer, beer said the sergeant

Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #4227
Randolf
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Hello fellower brewers,need some advice here.I recently purchased 2 of the new Mr. Beer Aztec Cervesa refills.I plan to use them both in a sungle batch.If I'm correct,they will give me 26 IBU,which is alittle to hoppy for me,so my question is ,can I use some Agave syrup to sweeten it up? I want to use them both in one batch,b/c I've heard they are on the weak side, so 2 may give me a better result.Thanxin advance for the advice......Randolf

Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #4228
Randolf
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I forgot,also if I use the syrup,how much would you recommend for a 2 gallon batch.Thanx again.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #4229
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf View Post
Hello fellower brewers,need some advice here.I recently purchased 2 of the new Mr. Beer Aztec Cervesa refills.I plan to use them both in a sungle batch.If I'm correct,they will give me 26 IBU,which is alittle to hoppy for me,so my question is ,can I use some Agave syrup to sweeten it up? I want to use them both in one batch,b/c I've heard they are on the weak side, so 2 may give me a better result.Thanxin advance for the advice......Randolf
I am drinking that now. I did not have a very good experience with it... taste-wise. It looks a little darker than the picture too.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/mr-b...-batch-374506/

Although the sour taste could have been from fermenting too high (75-79) and its less than 4 weeks old (8 days fermenting, 2 weeks bottled: maybe it just tastes green). It looks great though as its fully carbed.

One other thing I remember, I believe I pitched the yeast at too high of a temp... I did this because I didnt know better. The water temp had to be closer to 90-100 as I poured boiled wort into the already standing water... leaving temp luke warm to bath tub warm. So maybe I pitched it too hot as well.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #4230
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf
Agave syrup wouldn't be a good idea, its 100% fermentable, so all you're going to do is dry the beer out further. I would recommend instead of using both cans of Aztec cervesa together use one can and add a pound of extra light DME (dry malt extract) .

Also, as the beer gets bigger, the more stuff you put in it, you'll notice the ibus less. The bitterness from the hops is there to balance out the residual sweetness from the malt. So, those 26 ibus might not taste quite as bitter as you think they will with both cans in there, though they'll certainly taste more bitter than the one can alone.

Quick Reply